General Chat

Stevo985

If the prognosis was good, I'd chuck 6k on keeping my cat alive without a second thought tbh

Fortunately he was insured, but my good boy (RIP) ended up costing Petplan about 5k a year, and again, if he wasn't inured would I have put him down years earlier to save tens of thousands? I don't think I could have, I **** loved that cat, he was my best mate.

I'm fortunate in a few grand isn't going to have a material impact on my life or the care of my family, it's just a hit to the retirement and savings fund, but I can't imagine choosing my savings over my pets. I understand it's a different story if it's the difference between securing a roof over your head though.

• Like 3

Having said that, my remaining cat is a bit of a word removed who barely justifies the cost of her food. Sleeps for 23.5 hours a day and treats me with absolute **** contempt.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

A woman’s cat in the local fb group was hit by a car but survived with injuries. She just posted to say that the vets bill is currently £6,100 and rising but her insurance has a max of £4k. Shes panicking because she can’t afford it and wants to setup a gofundme page to try and get people to chip in.

I love my dog, but there’s limits to these things isn’t there? A cat generally wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire. Over £6k on  treatment sounds like madness to me, especially when you don’t have the money. 

It is irrational, but people love their pets so it is understandable. Least the owner had insurance, most people who run a gofundme don't. She's been as responsible as she can. 

I spent over £1k on suspension work and brakes on my car, and that car shows me less love than a cat! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

The mixed emotions I’ve been through tonight. Playing some Xbox and fancied a beer but knew I was out.

Then I found a pack of 12 beers, unopened, which I’d forgotten I’d bought and stuck in the cupboard.

But,

They are Carling… I bought them before we went on holiday as the in-laws were going to come round (father in law and brother in law both only drink Carling, plus I’m not going to spend good money on better beer for them).

So, it’s unexpected beer in the house, but it’s Carling. It’s better than nothing, and washing down the salted peanuts better than squash would have been, but it’s still Carling.

• Haha 2

Random one and maybe not the best thread.

My nephew (wife's brother's kid) has asked me to take him to a football game as his Dad has zero interest. 

He lives in Hinckley and is a Leicester fan (tried to make him support Villa but no luck) and ideally he wants to see them.

To buy tickets for them though it appears I'd also need to buy fan membership for £35. I've got zero interest in doing that for Leicester. Tickets also appear to be scarce as their selling out most games (think they've reduced capacity to 32k).

Anyone got any ideas how else I could get tickets for them or what else might be a decent option? I could try a Villa game but he isn't keen on that.

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not going to be helpful here but his dad should suck it up and take his kid to a game. 

It's a weird one.

He has absolutely zero interest in football and won't go to watch a game. He'll gladly reimburse me for taking his son.

But at the same time he's been volunteering at the kid's football team for about 5 year's now and has become the assistant coach.

8 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

It's a weird one.

He has absolutely zero interest in football and won't go to watch a game. He'll gladly reimburse me for taking his son.

But at the same time he's been volunteering at the kid's football team for about 5 year's now and has become the assistant coach.

Maybe he rationalises it as doing his bit to get the kids some exercise and fresh air. If so, that’s commendable.

If he’ll reimburse you for the tickets I assume that extends to the £35? I’d get a membership set up, go from there.

Although in all honesty I still think he should be taken by one of his parents. Mainly because doing stuff you don’t like doing is part and parcel with parenting. Believe it or not I’d rather not spend money (and time) on me and my kid to see how The Boss Baby 2 : Family Business compares to its predecessor.

But it’s happening.

• Like 1

Â