General Chat

Stevo985

Think its the vicious circle Wig - You eat to make yourself happy, which succeeds in the short term, but fat in the long term, which makes you unhappy and re-introduces the need to be happy again, hence more eating!

I often wonder why the Human body craves crap food?

Evolution dictates that our body tells us what is good for it in order to allow us to survive. i.e. We dont like the smell of shit, cus its bad for us.

But we do like fat and salt, yet it's rarely good for us. Perhaps evolution hasnt caught up from the time when we needed to eat fat in order to survive.

This. It's also why we eat too much sugar. When we were cavemen it was a hard to get luxury (if you weren't in an area with decent fruit, your only supply was honey - and you had to fight the bees to get it).

Now, it's all too easily available, but we're still genetically programmed to go for it like it's a rarity.

Do people worry about going grey or bald?

not really but if it goes grey in next 5 years ill just shave it bald.

Lots of women love bald men.

Baldness can be a sign of high testosterone levels.

Think its the vicious circle Wig - You eat to make yourself happy, which succeeds in the short term, but fat in the long term, which makes you unhappy and re-introduces the need to be happy again, hence more eating!

Evolution dictates that our body tells us what is good for it in order to allow us to survive. i.e. We dont like the smell of shit, cus its bad for us.

But we do like fat and salt, yet it's rarely good for us. Perhaps evolution hasnt caught up from the time when we needed to eat fat in order to survive.

This. It's also why we eat too much sugar. When we were cavemen it was a hard to get luxury (if you weren't in an area with decent fruit, your only supply was honey - and you had to fight the bees to get it).

Now, it's all too easily available, but we're still genetically programmed to go for it like it's a rarity.

Never thought of it like that.

The only times I really get cravings is when I've given up bread (like right now!), but that's psychological, as in I only want it because I can't have it.

And when I'm hungover I desperatley crave Cola or Orange Juice. I'm guessing to do with the sugar.

Do people worry about going grey or bald?

not really but if it goes grey in next 5 years ill just shave it bald.

Lots of women love bald men.

Ive got a few flashes of silver coming but i really couldnt give a toss, maybe thats just because im shacked up with the missus and what not.

I suppose if i was single it might be a bit more of an issue.

Never thought of it like that.

The only times I really get cravings is when I've given up bread (like right now!), but that's psychological, as in I only want it because I can't have it.

And when I'm hungover I desperatley crave Cola or Orange Juice. I'm guessing to do with the sugar.

Isnt a hangover something to do with lack of salt in the body? Along with dehydration.

Isnt a handover something to do with lack of salt in the body? Along with dehydration.

No it's when you're leaving for the day and the next person needs to know what they're in for.

Isnt a handover something to do with lack of salt in the body? Along with dehydration.

No it's when you're leaving for the day and the next person needs to know what they're in for.

badum-tish.jpg

Damn you Brian!!!

*quoted before the edit! :)

Think its the vicious circle Wig - You eat to make yourself happy ...

why would the act of eating make one happy?

Doesn't do it for me, I have to say ....

I'll go grey rather than bald I think.

Doesn't bother me though, I'm bloody 19 not an old **** and 29 or something.

Cheeky fecker! :angry:

:winkold: :D

;)

I must have evolved beyond my caveman instincts then ... :winkold: :mrgreen:

Not really.

We crave sugar because of the way the body processes it.

Sugar is bad, high blood sugar causes a whole world of problems for your body.

So we have insulin, insulin reacts to blood sugar and goes "**** hell guys, get that shit out of here" and forces the body to take it out of the blood stream and store it as glycogen.

Now, that meal you've just eaten, the nice carb filled one, the energy from it is no longer available to be used, so, once again your body tells your brain "come on mate, I'm starving down here, I need more energy!" so once again people eat a nice sugary meal and once again most the energy is stored rather than used. The brain then misinterprets that as "boy, do we really love sweet things!" because it tastes good, and when we eat it our body seems to want more!

This is why low-carb diets work so well, insulin prevents the release of fat from the body, it's the only hormone in the body that works to keep you fat. Whilst there is insulin in the blood stream it inhibits the release of glucagon which means your body can't mobilise it's energy stores. Low carb means no insulin, which means your body is free to release the energy stored in fat tissue as and when it needs it.

Not really.

We crave sugar because of the way the body processes it.

Sugar is bad, high blood sugar causes a whole world of problems for your body.

So we have insulin, insulin reacts to blood sugar and goes "**** hell guys, get that shit out of here" and forces the body to take it out of the blood stream and store it as glycogen.

Now, that meal you've just eaten, the nice carb filled one, the energy from it is no longer available to be used, so, once again your body tells your brain "come on mate, I'm starving down here, I need more energy!" so once again people eat a nice sugary meal and once again most the energy is stored rather than used. The brain then misinterprets that as "boy, do we really love sweet things!" because it tastes good, and when we eat it our body seems to want more!

This is why low-carb diets work so well, insulin prevents the release of fat from the body, it's the only hormone in the body that works to keep you fat. Whilst there is insulin in the blood stream it inhibits the release of glucagon which means your body can't mobilise it's energy stores. Low carb means no insulin, which means your body is free to release the energy stored in fat tissue as and when it needs it.

A good insight. But does this not point towards a fundamental fault in the way that the human body is designed? What you are saying sounds like the body wants to keep the fat, which ties in with what MJ mooney said about failing to evolve out of the species that needs to keep fat stores.

Anyway, as I say, really good answer. One question though - why is the energy from the Carbohydrates no longer available?

You guys should read a book called Shangri - La diet, by Seth Roberts, he is a serious prefessor from somewhere and is mentioned in 'Freakonomics' He used himself as a tester to find an easy way to loose weight, which he most successfully found that certain amount of either sugar water or flavourless oil could do. All you have to do is consume small amounts of 1 or both in the right way and you dont have to change your diet or what foods you eat. They just work in supressing your diet.

Anyway he refers to the fact we like foods that are bad for us because your body assocciates flavour with calories. So the more calories you end up consuming with a certain flavour the more that flavour becomes tastier to you

Also he claims you have like a thermostat for your weight were your body wants the set amount of calories to reach that weight. however if you consume more calories it pushes the thermostat up so therefor the standard weight your body tries to set is larger. Im kinda of confusing myself, i read it a while ago. but it all comes from historic times where when there was an abundance of food it would cause your body to want to intake more and more pushing its desired weight up and up, and when food was scarce it would bring your desired weight loser...so similar to Animals that hibernate. However we still have this system but food is never scarce. This is why for most people if they wanted to eat what they liked (their body wanted) theyd become overweight and why we like foods with more calories

ah just read the book!

Â