General Chat

Stevo985

Feck off to your business studies criticism. I don't go to a great school and nor are all of us academically brilliant! Most of the people though did get A-C. Grade boundaries are pretty low, just yeah, refer to case study and what not. I should do okay, I should get an A on this side of business studies, it's the own research part which is harder in Business Studies for A2. Should be okay hopefully though.

Banged out about 5 hours revision today and do about 3 hours before exam tommorow.

Feck off to your business studies criticism. I don't go to a great school and nor are all of us academically brilliant!

Neither did I and nor were some of the guys getting near full marks ;).

I did pretty awfully at A Level as I gave up and couldn't be arsed. Still got me into a good uni for my subject.

Said it before, will undoubtedly say it again - business studies is a subject that a number of people I know got damn near full marks for. Mickey mouse.

Anything with the word studies in the course title is usually Mickey Mouse

Political studies included

Feck off to your business studies criticism.

Don't listen to them Joe. Business Studies is a cracking subject, and it'll stand you in very good stead if you want to do something like that at Uni and for a career. Your Uni work will be easier as you'll have a head start from learning it at A Level.

And employers will look favourably on a good A Level Mark for business (or economics incidentally)

Just because you can do well in it (although people are exagerrating, I went to one of the best schools in the country (sounds like I'm bragging, I'm just making a point) and no-one got full marks in business studies.) doesn't mean it isn't a subject that will do you well.

VEry much so cv. In fact, the guy who interviewed me at KPMG (one fo the partners) told me that the first thing he looks at on CV for a grad is their A Level results. He said everyone who applies has a degree so he knows he's going to see a 2:1 or a 1st in the degree section so he looks at the A Levels first.

Nope. They ended up rejecting me as I only got a 2:2 in my degree (I blame beer. Seriously)

But yeh I would have been working there had I got my 2:1 as they'd already offered me the job on that condition.

I was offered a job at KPMG in Brum a couple of years ago. The money was shit though, which is a pity as I'd have taken it otherwise.

Well when I was offered the job (when I was still at uni) I thought the money was amazing.

But having seen other grad schemes (including the on I'm on now) the money isn't that good there.

Opportunities and career progression at those big 4 companies are very good though. but they'll work you to the bone for it

Said it before, will undoubtedly say it again - business studies is a subject that a number of people I know got damn near full marks for. Mickey mouse.

Anything with the word studies in the course title is usually Mickey Mouse

Political studies included

Who calls it that though? My A Level is in "Government and politics". I agree about the "studies" thing though, I did General Studies as an afterthought to get a 4th A Level, and got a 'B' despite doing no work or revision for it whatsoever. It's basically an A Level in Trivial Pursuit.

I was offered a job at KPMG in Brum a couple of years ago. The money was shit though, which is a pity as I'd have taken it otherwise.

Well when I was offered the job (when I was still at uni) I thought the money was amazing.

But having seen other grad schemes (including the on I'm on now) the money isn't that good there.

Opportunities and career progression at those big 4 companies are very good though. but they'll work you to the bone for it

To be honest, if I was you I'd get qualified, get a a couple of year's post qualification experience, then move on, unless you fancy the endless auditing bandwagon and the drag from audit senior to assistant manager, to manager etc etc every couple of years. The hours big 4 firms ask you to put in just aren't worth it in my opinion. Since leaving audit 6 months ago I've gone from doing 20 hours of overtime a week in "busy season" to none whatsoever, and have seen my salary and benefits go up dramatically as well. Once you're qualified and have a Big 4 firm on your CV, you're fairly well set to be honest.

To be honest, if I was you I'd get qualified, get a a couple of year's post qualification experience, then move on, unless you fancy the endless auditing bandwagon and the drag from audit senior to assistant manager, to manager etc etc every couple of years. The hours big 4 firms ask you to put in just aren't worth it in my opinion. Since leaving audit 6 months ago I've gone from doing 20 hours of overtime a week in "busy season" to none whatsoever, and have seen my salary and benefits go up dramatically as well. Once you're qualified and have a Big 4 firm on your CV, you're fairly well set to be honest.

Well i didn't get the job (see above)

But now I'm in a different job. More sociable hours, better pay, still doing a professional qualification, and still very good promotional prospects.

Everyone I've spoken to since starting work has said I dodged a bullet by not going into audit.

Â