General Chat

Stevo985

Head transplants available by 2017 according to some Italian surgeon .... Life imitating Futurama before we know it !!

The first human head transplant could take place in just two years, according to a radical proposal by an Italian surgeon.

Sergio Canavero, from the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, wants the surgery to be used to help extend the lives of people who have suffered degeneration of the muscles and nerves or those who have advanced cancer.

The surgeon plans to announce the project at the American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons (AANOS) conference in Annapolis, Maryland, in June, the New Scientist reported.

Mr Canavero published a paper on the technique he would use in the Surgical Neurology International journal this month.

The recipient's head and the donor body would be cooled at the start of the procedure to extend the time that cells can survive without oxygen.

Tissue around the neck would be dissected and major blood vessels would be joined using tiny tubes.

The spinal cords would then be cut and the recipient's head moved on to the donor body. The ends of the spinal cord would be fused together using a chemical called polyethylene glycol, which encourages fat within cell membranes to mesh.

After this, the person would be put into a coma for around four weeks to prevent them moving while they heal.

http://news.sky.com/story/1434435/first-human-head-transplant-could-happen-in-2017 Edited by tonyh29

Considering the company say 'a minimum of a 2.1' on their website

This would be such an amazing opportunity to work (ok I already work for them but not in a graduate role) for a huge multinational company and I'm terrified some snotty 21 year old with zero life experience and a 2.1 from London Metropolitan (lowest ranked - no offence to anyone here who went)(sorry donnie) would get in ahead of me.

My other option is to make sure I solve every problem for the recruitment people within the company whenever they call me.

^ cheers Chris. Yeah I'll probably apply once i've done a year in Poland on the service desk. Aim for a promotion quickly (6 months minimum but if I keep up my level of performance , I'm fast tracked) and they can't say no to me.

The plan should be to make myself unrejectable.

I don't think I've ever rejected a candidate I've been recruiting on the basis that they didn't meet the minimum qualifications. Tbh I only really look at qualifications once I'm running out of ideas as to why I don't want someone. Life/work experience is so much more valuable.

The only thing I'd say about graduate schemes is that they tend to be ridiculously competitive and companies (in my experience) want the fresh faced new qualified types to mould in their own image. My experience of having baby sat "graduate trainees" is that they tend to be cocky little self opinionated sycophantic rwankers. You should fit right in. ;)

• Like 1

Head transplants available by 2017 according to some Italian surgeon .... Life imitating Futurama before we know it !!

The first human head transplant could take place in just two years, according to a radical proposal by an Italian surgeon.

Sergio Canavero, from the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, wants the surgery to be used to help extend the lives of people who have suffered degeneration of the muscles and nerves or those who have advanced cancer.

The surgeon plans to announce the project at the American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons (AANOS) conference in Annapolis, Maryland, in June, the New Scientist reported.

Mr Canavero published a paper on the technique he would use in the Surgical Neurology International journal this month.

The recipient's head and the donor body would be cooled at the start of the procedure to extend the time that cells can survive without oxygen.

Tissue around the neck would be dissected and major blood vessels would be joined using tiny tubes.

The spinal cords would then be cut and the recipient's head moved on to the donor body. The ends of the spinal cord would be fused together using a chemical called polyethylene glycol, which encourages fat within cell membranes to mesh.

After this, the person would be put into a coma for around four weeks to prevent them moving while they heal.

http://news.sky.com/story/1434435/first-human-head-transplant-could-happen-in-2017

I'm struggling to see the merits of such a proceedure tbh. New organs/spare parts are fine. You change the engine/innards of a car when you need to. What you don't do is hack the front end off, replace it with a totally different one and call it the same car.

I'm struggling to see the merits of such a proceedure tbh.

Will people get to swap bodies? (Interestingly, the Grauniad's report on the same story came from a different angle and had it down as a body transplant rather than a head one - as per the Sky article)

If they change the laws on tissue donation would a poor person with the body of an Adonis be able to sell it to some rich middle aged tubster?

New organs/spare parts are fine. You change the engine/innards of a car when you need to. What you don't do is hack the front end off, replace it with a totally different one and call it the same car.

Hmm. Theseus' paradox type stuff, innit?

I'm struggling to see the merits of such a proceedure tbh.

Will people get to swap bodies? (Interestingly, the Grauniad's report on the same story came from a different angle and had it down as a body transplant rather than a head one - as per the Sky article)

If they change the laws on tissue donation would a poor person with the body of an Adonis be able to sell it to some rich middle aged tubster?

New organs/spare parts are fine. You change the engine/innards of a car when you need to. What you don't do is hack the front end off, replace it with a totally different one and call it the same car.

Hmm. Theseus' paradox type stuff, innit?

It says a great deal about our differing cultural reference points - you went to "Theseus' Ship"....I click the link and immediately thought "Trigger's Broom"

• Like 1

It says a great deal about our differing cultural reference points - you went to "Theseus' Ship"....I click the link and immediately thought "Trigger's Broom"

Ha ha.

No, I'm with you on your reference, too. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Considering the company say 'a minimum of a 2.1' on their website

This would be such an amazing opportunity to work (ok I already work for them but not in a graduate role) for a huge multinational company and I'm terrified some snotty 21 year old with zero life experience and a 2.1 from London Metropolitan (lowest ranked - no offence to anyone here who went)(sorry donnie) would get in ahead of me.

My other option is to make sure I solve every problem for the recruitment people within the company whenever they call me.

^ cheers Chris. Yeah I'll probably apply once i've done a year in Poland on the service desk. Aim for a promotion quickly (6 months minimum but if I keep up my level of performance , I'm fast tracked) and they can't say no to me.

The plan should be to make myself unrejectable.

I don't think I've ever rejected a candidate I've been recruiting on the basis that they didn't meet the minimum qualifications. Tbh I only really look at qualifications once I'm running out of ideas as to why I don't want someone. Life/work experience is so much more valuable.

The only thing I'd say about graduate schemes is that they tend to be ridiculously competitive and companies (in my experience) want the fresh faced new qualified types to mould in their own image. My experience of having baby sat "graduate trainees" is that they tend to be cocky little self opinionated sycophantic rwankers. You should fit right in. ;)

Maybe I won't even have to go on a graduate scheme. We have internal opportunities here and I already have my foot in the door so it may be that I can just get a job within anyway. I know I could get a good reference from my manager.

And cheers eames, you basterd ;)

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

http://news.sky.com/story/1434435/first-human-head-transplant-could-happen-in-2017

First thing I did was check to see if it was 1st April today.

We're living in the future.

Â