General Chat

Stevo985

If you can afford the deposit, I think you have to buy your own house, rather than rent. Especially if you have kids. With renting, you're effectively just staying in a hotel, throwing away your money and getting no return. It's also more expensive to rent at the moment than to buy a house, and I've been told that the rates most likely won't go up until 2020.

Then you have to think about your kid(s). If you don't own a house, then they won't be able to inherit one off you when that fateful day comes. You could also get kicked out of your rented house with notice at any time the owner likes.

We save about £50 a month between the family for my daughter, so she will have more than enough to put down a deposit on her own house. We won't be telling her until she's 21, so it will make a nice 21st birthday present :)

All good points above, also with buying, you will, eventually, pay it off and live 'rent free'. That's never going to happen if you just rent. I don't plan to have kids but I want to be in a situation when I decide to retire, that I don't have to worry about paying to keep a roof over my head.

• Like 1

I really want to apply for the 'BBCJTS' (Google it) just wish I had more confidence... The shit end to my year has knocked me for 6. Aaarrrggghhh.

I'm going for that too. You never know how you might feel in the new year. Might as well go for it either way dude. I'll see you on the course this time next year, yeah? ;)

Top man :) Let's hope we can both get on it :)

• Like 1

I become a home owner in about 10 minutes.

Well done  :)

I got on the property ladder 5 months ago after renting in the area for 6 years. It was the right decision for me. I have got a bigger property and my mortgage is roughly the same as my rent.

Cheers mate.

Think it's gone up £20k in value already.  Might cash in now and go travelling :P  

• Like 1

I become a home owner in about 10 minutes.

Well done  :)

I got on the property ladder 5 months ago after renting in the area for 6 years. It was the right decision for me. I have got a bigger property and my mortgage is roughly the same as my rent.

Cheers mate.

Think it's gone up £20k in value already.  Might cash in now and go travelling :P  

Lots of people in Didcot are travellers ;)

I just deactivated my Facebook.

Liberating.

Isn't it just? Mine went a while back. No more.. "I just made an egg sandwich" with four likes, followed by "I just finished my egg sandwich" uuuurrrrrggggghhh.

I think Bitstrip started the ball rolling.

• Like 1

I just deactivated my Facebook.

Liberating.

Isn't it just? Mine went a while back. No more.. "I just made an egg sandwich" with four likes, followed by "I just finished my egg sandwich" uuuurrrrrggggghhh.

I think Bitstrip started the ball rolling.

I saw a news story I think, a cartoon isn't it? God bless dumb people! I prefer LinkedIn and when I can be bothered, Twitter!

If you can afford the deposit, I think you have to buy your own house, rather than rent. Especially if you have kids. With renting, you're effectively just staying in a hotel, throwing away your money and getting no return. It's also more expensive to rent at the moment than to buy a house, and I've been told that the rates most likely won't go up until 2020.

Then you have to think about your kid(s). If you don't own a house, then they won't be able to inherit one off you when that fateful day comes. You could also get kicked out of your rented house with notice at any time the owner likes.

We save about £50 a month between the family for my daughter, so she will have more than enough to put down a deposit on her own house. We won't be telling her until she's 21, so it will make a nice 21st birthday present :)

I used to feel this way.

I invested heavily in property from just before the start of the property boom and got out just before the bubble burst more by luck than anything else.

I would never have rented in a million years throughout the above period as I had the same idea in that renting is just throwing your money into a fire without return and obviously it's much better to have a mortgage and at the end of it's term you own the house.

However there is one downside in that if you get a bad neighbour and your relationship deteriates you will have great difficulty in selling your home if you want to move on. Unfortunately in any contract drawn up between buyer and seller it will be stipulated in that contract whether you have any trouble with neighbours and if you do and say no on the contract then the buyer can sue.

Inafect a bad neighbour leaves your home worthless because even though it might be dressed like a showhouse and perfectly located in most cases you won't be able to sell it.

Of course the chances of suffering a bad neighbour are slim but if you are buying a home in a new development then the builder has to provide a percentage of social housing which will mean that you could have problematical families in your area.

Whenever you buy do your research first and indeed knock on a few doors asking are there any problems in your target area.

Due to my own circumstances I'll never buy another home again and will eventually rent as if I do get another bad neighbour I can just get up and go somewhere else.

House a couple of doors down was burgled last night. That means the Christmas presents, the car keys & a fairly significant kitchen knife are all staying in my bedroom til Christmas is over. These things tend to happen in a pattern.

Murder being investigated in Didcot... just as Wainy rolls into town...

Ah I get it. Wait for someone to move into your town and then commit a murder. The perfect crime.

Not my town thank you very much <_< Just within smelling distance.

Â