Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

So I agree Heskey and Gabby offer more of an all round game than Defoe even if they don't score as many goals.

And yet now they do score just as many goals :lol:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabby offers more than Defoe and so does Heskey(ask any England manager)

I disagree, I think Defoe offers more. I think if all 3 played the same amount of games getting the same quality of service, Defoe would comfortably score more then Heskey and Agbonlahor.

Yes but you aren't comparing like for like. Bent and Defoe are similar in that they are largely just goal scorers out of the two I have always rated Bent as the better goal scorer.

In Gabby and Heskey we have two players who clearly aren't as good a goal scorers as Defoe but offer other strengths and contribute in other ways, something Defoe doesn't really do.

So I agree Heskey and Gabby offer more of an all round game than Defoe even if they don't score as many goals.

I don't think Heskey contributes much. Agbonlahor yes, but most games Heskey just lumbers around the pitch doing nothing. No I don't want to turn this into yet another Heskey bashing topic, there are enough on this site already, but apart from the year Liverpool did the triple (2001), I have never rated him.

Let me ask you this, if Villa signed Defoe for £9.5 million, would you be happy.

Let me ask you this, if Villa signed Defoe for £9.5 million, would you be happy.

Once I got over the immense shock of us spending the cash I'd be **** livid to be honest with you.

He isn't as good as Bent, did nothing last season and is a player I've never really rated all that much.

Defoe = Head down, hit ball as hard as you can and hope.

This.

Hit and hope.

Defoe = a goal scored evey other game - guaranteed, he's one of the most prolific strikers of his generation.

A tremendous forward player....

Yet he has only managed to get into double figures for goals scored 3 times in the last 10 years.

Defoe = a goal scored evey other game - guaranteed, he's one of the most prolific strikers of his generation.

Yet he has only managed to get into double figures for goals scored 3 times in the last 10 years.

........ the last ten seasons...

...from his wiki page. Since 2000 he's got into double figures on 6 occasions.

I can't find the stats at the minute but he's got a ridiculous goals to mintues played average - it's something like a goal every 114 minutes, better than a goal every other game.

He's a phenomenon, a goal scoring machine. Like him or not he's a tremendous goalscorer.

........ the last ten seasons...

...from his wiki page. Since 2000 he's got into double figures on 6 occasions.

I can't find the stats at the minute but he's got a ridiculous goals to mintues played average - it's something like a goal every 114 minutes, better than a goal every other game.

He's a phenomenon, a goal scoring machine. Like him or not he's a tremendous goalscorer.

He averaged a goal every 369.75min last season in the premiership.

He had an excellent season in 09/10, scoring 18 in 34 premiership games (although without the 5 against Wigan in the 9-1 victory its not as impressive) but apart from that his record is not the record of a tremendous goal scorer.

His record in the league since '01 has him at a goal every 194 minutes. A woeful league campaign last year though, and the first in 4 that he hasn't hit double figures. Scrutinise that record further, and a lot of his goals do come against weaker teams:

10 goals in 11 games vs. Wigan = 91% strike rate

8 in 10 vs. Charlton = 80%

7 in 13 vs. Blackburn = 54%

6 in 11 vs. Portsmouth = 54%

5 in 11 vs. Birmingham = 46%

Now compare those figures against Defoe's % strike rate versus improved opposition:

5 in 15 vs. Manchester City = 33%

4 in 13 vs. Everton = 31%

4 in 14 vs. Aston Villa = 29%

3 in 12 vs. Newcastle = 25%

2 in 16 vs. Fulham = 13%

Finally - and tellingly - versus the most competitive teams in the division:

4 in 21 vs. Chelsea = 19%

4 in 20 vs. Manchester United = 20%

2 in 17 vs. Arsenal = 12%

1 in 16 vs. Liverpool = 6%

It does paint a picture of a player who only performs consistently against weaker teams. Of course I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could dig up statistics that argue Defoe is actually an alien journalist from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse, nevertheless (in my personal opinion) he is a distinctly average player. He seems to go on a scoring glut for a fortnight and then disappear for months at a time, and when he's not scoring he doesn't bring much else to the table. He's certainly not a profound creator of chances, racking up a meagre 15 assists in 264 league games.

I think it would be most beneficial to study the points gained directly from the result of his goals, alas I have not the time nor resources to churn out such an analysis.

:lol:

According to his wiki stats, his Tottenham career has seen him score more than one league goal every two games ONCE in EIGHT seasons. 68 league goals in 203 games.

Putting that into perspective, Gabby has managed 50 in 183 for Villa.

He's a decent enough striker, but phenomenon? Goal scoring machine? I think not.

Â