Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

Usual Guff

only 2 league titles.....ever

Huddersfield Town have won more

Nuff said

Have Spurs really only won the league twice?!?

That's crazy, how can they call themselves a "big club" if that is the case??

We all know it and most other fans know it!

They were also runners up a whopping 4 times - I think the last one was back before England won the World Cup though :)

To be fair to them they've spent 47 years as a non top flight team so maybe comparing the 2 main competitions isn't fair :lol:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Spurs. In fact, I quite like them. I don't really get the hate in this thread (though I have probably contributed in a bit of Glaston teasing, which tends to be more about him than his club) and it seems to be that the anti Spurs sentiment on VT is more about Harry Redknapp not having a sense of humour when Villa fans gave him shit after the corruption allegations on the BBC than anything else.

Maybe its just who you mix with. My work takes me to London on a daily basis and a lot of my colleagues who are based in London are Spurs fans, and they are decent blokes so I base my opinion of Spurs fans from then rather than from the internet. I guess if this thread is your main interaction with Spurs fans then your opinion would be different.

I know a handful of Spurs fans "in real life", i.e. not on the internet, and they are all top blokes. No problem with them whatsoever.

I still hate their club. They know that, I'm honest with them. And when I told them it was largely down to Redknapp their sentiments were "If he wasn't our manager I'd hate him too"

Again though, I ask just how much of this Redknapp hate comes from the fact that his first game after the Panorama program alleging he was corrupt was Villa away, and he reacted badly to the ribbing that he was (obviously) subjected to?

Does that matter?

I hate him because he's an overrated, corrupt, media wanking, Jamie spawning, tapping up, club destroying word removed of a man.

If people hate him for other reasons then so be it.

Nah, it doesnt matter really. He certainly is smart enough to be friendly with a lot of key people in the media and as a result has them eating out of his hand, but I just cant get behind the hatred of Spurs being put down to crimes Redknapp is alleged to have committed while in charge of Portsmouth.

Again though, I ask just how much of this Redknapp hate comes from the fact that his first game after the Panorama program alleging he was corrupt was Villa away, and he reacted badly to the ribbing that he was (obviously) subjected to?

Not for me. He doesn't give a shit about the teams he manages, if it costs them going bust to give him a decent record there he couldn't care less. He also seems to think he's Gods gift to football management.

I certainly wouldn't like Spurs if he wasn't in charge, but it'd be nowhere like the hatred I feel for them while he's there.

I hate Redknapp, but thats less to do with the panorama programme and more to do with the fact i just happen to think the guy is a bit of prat.

But I've hated Spurs since before that. My hate for them really came to a boil when they started their resurgence under Jol. I didn't like them before then. But when Jol was successful, and they were hoovering up everything half decent and English, they really got on my tits.

Just for the record, I hate Newcastle and Man City too. And Spurs.

And Birmingham.

And especially Liverpool. I severely dislike Chelsea and Arsenal and I'm not keen on Wolves either.

I've been known to dislike Man Utd too, but less so than the others.

I really don't like Coventry City and I despise the Old Firm clubs.

Spurs are just one of many wanky 'orrible clubs that I don't like.

GlastonSpur and Redknapp are two good reasons to dislike Spurs too.

Nothing against Spurs fans though. They're just people, afterall.

I don't like 'when the Spurs go marching in' though...

.... Success is measured on trophies won, we have won more. ...

Success compared to Spurs can only be fairly measured from the point when Spurs were eligible to compete with Villa for the same league trophies (otherwise you might just as well blame a horse for not winning the Grand National when they weren't even in the starting line-up).

The facts show that from that point onwards Spurs have won 16 trophies compared to 11 for Villa. They also show that Spurs have won double the amount of trophies compared to Villa in the last 50 years. Yes, that Villa trophy haul includes a European Cup Winners trophy, but that falls way short of outweighing three European trophies for Spurs and four additional FA Cups compared to Villa since the start of head-to-head competition between the two clubs.

In summary: Villa won a lot of trophies when there was not much competition, but after that competition had expanded considerably - including Spurs entering the fray - the Villa trophy haul has been far less compared to Spurs.

So by all means bask in the glory of Victorian era success (after all, gaining this is obviously better than not gaining this), but it doesn't change the fact that after Spurs arrived in the league structure our trophy success has been better than Villa's.

I actually regard the two clubs as being of similar status, with various plus and minus points for both clubs on both sides of this equation - and I don't claim that Spurs are a bigger or more successful club all things considered. But by the same token I do dispute the silly notion that Villa are the bigger and more successful club ... especially from the point (1908) when any comparison becomes fair and meaningful.

Like Pompey I probably should have said that my ire isn't reserved for just Spurs. I hate pretty much every club in the league at some level. Fulham are about the only club I don't have much of a problem with.

But Spurs, Pool, Small Heath, Manchester United, and Citeh retain a special amount of ire.

I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world

Life in plastic, it's fantastic

You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere

Imagination, life is your creation

Come on, Barbie, let's go party

I'm a blonde single girl in the fantasy world

Dress me up, take your time, I'm your dollie

You're my doll, rock and roll, feel the glamour and pain

Kiss me here, touch me there, hanky-panky

You can touch, you can play

You can say I'm always yours, oooh whoa

Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah

Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh

Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please

I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees

Come jump in, be my friend, let us do it again

Hit the town, fool around, let's go party

You can say I'm always yours

You can say I'm always yours

- Oh, I'm having so much fun!

- Well, Barbie, we're just getting started!

- Oh, I love you Ken!

Ok Glaston likes to pick dates, well my life time.

Weve won;

1 European cup

1 Super Cup

1 League title

3 League Cups

Spurs;

3 Fa Cups

2 League cups

1 uefa CUP

And finished higher in the league more times.

Quite frank

My hate for Spurs comes from many things,

First one being they're above us in the league!

Secondly, i can't stand Harry, not too arsed about his crimes, i just think he's a bit of a prick, i hate the way he speak so freely of other teams players during transfer window.

I also hate Spurs purely because they're a cockney club, and the press wank over them all the time. Specially in the transfer window, it's so frustrating.

I have a hate for every club in the league really bar Everton. Have a bit of a soft spot for them.

To be fair Spurs probably are the bigger club - bigger fan base, can attract bigger name players due to a bigger budget/turnover and the fact that they are in London. I wouldn't however admit this in real life, I'd argue Villa's history and the many more seasons we've finished above them than they have us in the Premier League make it even.

Â