PL: Chelsea h 2009/10/17 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

MON got it on the button tactically, once we took the lead we moved t a 4-5-1 with Gabby running his arse off and putting in some good defensive work. As for him bringing on Hesky to please the media, are you serious? this is MON i think he would be the last manager to do something for anybody else apart from doing it for himself and the team.

Chelsea were not poor by any standard, 4-5 times they broke in the second half. The way they attacked was a pleasure the watch, great fast moving football slick passing along the floor but once the ball got near a Villa CB we dealt with it.

I would have picked my MOTM out of Collins, Warnock and Gabby.

I didn't think Chelsea looked as good playing their diamond. I think they have too mant CM'ers and are squeezing them in but do not have good balance. This is also killing Lampard's goal threat and exposing him somewhat. Essien, Lampard and Drogba are made for 4-5-1 IMO. I still thought that they have some great individuals and showed some sublime touches - Drogba's lay offs off the outside of his foot are amazing and always find their target.

Great performance though and, if we play like that we should challenge for the European places this season.

My one negative would have been that I thought MON was poor with his bench again. I would have brought NRC on for the last 20 minutes, leaving Gabby up front on his own, to shut down the space in CM and close the game out. We got there though, although my nails are now very short.

Just watched the game, what a massive result for Villa. That was some of the best defending by a Villa side I've seen in years (minus the Freidel howler)...And that two defenders would get the goals....incredible stuff.

Warnock looks an absolute steal, he's got great composure, steady on the ball, and looks to go forward immediately. He's the type of left back every contending side has, and we have one in him.

More fantastic work from Milner, Petrov and Sidwell were good enough, if quiet, particularly Sidwell. Ashley Young was poor, IMO. His play is too predictable, as usual, other teams have him all figured out now. His crossing was attrocious.

Gabby looked dangerous all day, and Carew looked all litle off pace. Freidel recovered well from his error, and should be buying dinner tonight for the back four.

Incredible result, but then, I predicted we'd win :lol:

This should give the team more belief, now that they've beat Chelsea and Liverpool. Let's hope MON keeps them focused.

UTV!

**** immense.

We lost one Martin Laursen but we've gained two, this might seem a little over the top and perhaps influenced by large amounts of alcohol but Dunne and Collins were once agian immense today. They're absolute rocks as were Cuellar and Warnock. A top performance from all the boys today, we made Chelsea look impotent, even Heskey battled when he came on.

How about that move in the last few minutes? Gabby to Milner to Heskey down the right and Heskey keeping it in the corner! Brilliant.

I thought O'Neiil had got it wrong with 4-4-2 but we got the result again, the top 4 crumble against the Villa, we always want it more them then, long may it continue!

Lets **** have it!

Ultimately our effort was 100% throughout. Chelsea were i'd say, working at about 50% and upped it to about 75% after our second. It shows that if you do have 11 men working for each other anything can happen in football, regardless of MON's lack of tactics. I think the failings if the 442 with petrov may again come back to haunt us if he sticks with it, but at the moment those two at the back have given us some leadership that perhaps we haven't had when this system has invariably failed over the last 6 months.

Admittedly, Chelsea did play some nice stuff in the second half, they will do, they have some of the best players in the world. But we caught them off guard today, much like we did to city in the last game. That's a useful trait to have- to start games better than the opponent and do them for effort. But chelsea were off colour, no doubt about it. If they weren't then we will comfortably win the league this year!

The two cbs have been inspiring and the spiritual captains for the last few games, and when the opportunity arises one of them should be given the captaincy if NRC is out the door. Petrov quite simply does not inspire those around him and maybe this is what we've been lacking, much like barry.

I would have picked my MOTM out of Collins, Warnock and Gabby.

same here, gabby was brilliant, constant thorn in their side and ran his socks off, warnock was right up there too, made some great tackles passed it really well and got forward whenever possible, whereas collins just looked like an average collins performance :D

Ultimately our effort was 100% throughout. Chelsea were i'd say, working at about 50% and upped it to about 75% after our second. It shows that if you do have 11 men working for each other anything can happen in football, regardless of MON's lack of tactics. I think the failings if the 442 with petrov may again come back to haunt us if he sticks with it, but at the moment those two at the back have given us some leadership that perhaps we haven't had when this system has invariably failed over the last 6 months.

Admittedly, Chelsea did play some nice stuff in the second half, they will do, they have some of the best players in the world. But we caught them off guard today, much like we did to city in the last game. That's a useful trait to have- to start games better than the opponent and do them for effort. But chelsea were off colour, no doubt about it. If they weren't then we will comfortably win the league this year!

The two cbs have been inspiring and the spiritual captains for the last few games, and when the opportunity arises one of them should be given the captaincy if NRC is out the door. Petrov quite simply does not inspire those around him and maybe this is what we've been lacking, much like barry.

What a strange set of musings.

Chelsea were good today. We were better. That was down to effort, skill, team selection, and tactics.

Petrov was inspirational. And he was the captain, and gave a captain's performance. Your reference to the CBs being the "spiritual captains" is a quite insulting attempt to deny him the credit for his exemplary play.

Why? Does it fit some preconception? Do you have some idea that you want to try to construct "evidence" to support? For ****'s sake, just recognise that the team and the manager achieved a great result over a very good team who played very well, while using players and tactics which you think are crap.

I'm off out on the piss now with some work muckers, two of which are Chelsea fans, one of them was at the game.

Neither of them have responded to my texts today, can't wait to rip into them!

You may find they have fallen victim to "flu", and are regrettably unable to join you.

Did you see Terry hopping up and down after our second goal, crying like a schoolgirl?

Hahaha classic

That was so funny. I didn't see it the first time or the first couple of replays, until they changed the angle for some later replays.

It's not fair! It's not fair! Waaaahhhh!

I'm off out on the piss now with some work muckers, two of which are Chelsea fans, one of them was at the game.

Neither of them have responded to my texts today, can't wait to rip into them!

Have a good one mate, i'll be amazed if i find any chelsea "supporters" out tonight, but if i do i'll do my utmost to remind them of what happened today!

I think MON would be nutty to go into this one with a 442.

I think we got away with it to an extent against Citeh as they were playing two slower players in the centre which played into our hands for most of the game, and also our 2 cbs were playing at their optimum level, which we probably can't expect every game.

I think if we go in 4-5-1 it suits our wingers and we can get at them, but it could be a bit backs to the wall, so we need NRC please. I predict a gritty 0-0 or 1-1.

However, 442 and I think it'll be game that we play into their hands and they'll stroll it 2-0 without getting into 2nd gear.

We got away with it against city, but i'm sure that they'd have won had ireland been playing from the start, and chelsea are better than city.

Maybe you'd like to admit that MON got it right today and you called it wrong?

I think people are a bit harsh on Friedel. Those types of shots are always tricky, and he had to stretch to get to the ball as well as compensate for the bounce. Bad luck, but stuff like that happens sometimes.

Anyone know who the MOTM was?

David Beckham?

James Collins won official MOTM.

Thought we played well today, one thing that we concerns me though, we tend to sit back in games and invite teams to have a prolonged period of attacking us, we did it today and did it against city. Yes they are good sides and will have periods throughout a game, but I think if we pushed forward more, we will make it abot easier on ourselves.

Did you see Terry hopping up and down after our second goal, crying like a schoolgirl?

Hahaha classic

Loved it. I think he was trying to lay into someone else when he was the one that should have hacked the ball off the line. My contempt for that man has no bounds. I feel truly sorry for all English football fans that has to put up with that tosser lining up for your national team. Despicable man that I would never want in any team that I support, no matter how well he plays.

Really really pleased with the performance today. My only flaw I can pick out is that we don't seem too threatening going forward anymore. And Ash Young needs to just cross the ball in instead of piss arsing about with it and running back and forth on himself down the wing 50 times. I know he got two assists (from corners) but he needs a kick up the arse. Once again impressed with Collins and Dunne. Two best signings in the transfer window for me. Absolute quality. We've found our Laursen replacement(s).

The thing that impressed me about Chelsea was how well they got players foward when attacking. If we didn't have our newly formed solid defence we would have got battered. I can't wait to see this penalty decision, it was a howler from what I've heard, it even looked it from the Holte end but I may have been a bit biased.