PL: Chelsea h 2009/10/17 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

superb result and a fantastic performance...

pricks like jamie redknapp will have you believe it was down to chelsea not turning up, but dont let that cockerney knobber confuse the fact that we were the better side on the day because we battled harder, made better use of our posession, and took our chances...

collins is an absolute monster... didnt really know too much about him before he came to villa park, and maybe that isnt a bad thing for a defender, but since he has been with us, i have been most impressed with him... he and dunne have formed a very solid defensive partnership, and warnock looks very good too... when luke young comes back, i like the look of that back four...

gabby worked very hard again today... chased everything down... if he keeps this up, then i may forgive his obvious deficiencies...

carew looked like he worked hard too..

petrov had his best performance in a 4-4-2 as well, and sidwell was quietly effective...

young hasnt been great of late, and today was no exception... nice touches on the ball, but lacks an end product.. needs some confidence...

milner works so hard... he really is becoming a firm favourite...

friedel cocked up for the goal, but made a couple of very good saves later to make up for it...

overall, delighted with the team...

as for the referee, well i can not be as complimentary... in fact, if i stated that he was the most inept official, i have ever seen, while being somewhat accurate, would only hold water, if he hadnt made so many bad decisons in chelseas favour... to be that bad, you have to make crap decisions against both sides, but he didnt... worst referee ever....

Ratings

Friedel 6 - absolutely shocking for the goal, but he made up for it by being very solid and big later on in the match

Cuellar 7

Collins 10 - MoM - just outstanding throughout, and sod the goal he was fantastic. key blocks, great headers , passing etc.

Dunne 9 - superb

Warnock - 8 - excellent performance at full back

Milner - 6.5 - not his best at all really. good industry as ever but his passing when we attacked was poor - although he could have had an assist if JC had been sharper.

Petrov 8

Sidwell 7

Young 7.5

Gabby 8 - denied a clear pen

Carew 5 - missed a sitter, not sharp enough and generally didn't offer much up front. Poor - doing his best to give Heskey a start.

sub Heskey - 10 minutes - terrific hold up at the very end pleased me.

MoN 8

ref 1 - pure shite from start to finish - for both sides. bloody awful officiating.

Carew 5? Very very harsh, he did quite well today, bought the ball down and passed it about. He chance was at full stretch.

Good game all round nobody really had a bad game, thought cuellar was shakey first half but made up for it in the second, Ashleys crosses were hit n miss but his possession and corners did the job.

I only wish sometimes we would shoot from outside the area.

But a big thumbs up all round

UTV

Friedel 6- an unusual gaff from the big man, but redeemed himself with some crucial although straightforward saves.

Cuellar 7- good defensive work and poor distribution is becoming a feature with him at right back.

Collins 9*- got a goal and another excellent all round defensive display.

Dunne 8- while I thought Dunne shaded Collins in the City game, Collins just shaded it today, but otherwise, ditto.

Warnock 8- very impressive and warrants his place on this evidence.

Milner 7- great workrate again and tracked back superbly.

Petrov 7- he played nicely again. Either he's out to prove he can play in this system or MON has told him to pull his weight so he doesn't have to play NRC.

Sidwell 6- didn't notice him but he must be doing a half decent job.

Young 6- strange to give him an average mark considering he laid on both goals. Overall though he probably didn't do as much as he could, and the goals were mainly brought about due to Chelsea's ineptitude.

Carew 6- slightly better.

Agbonlahor 7- super energy and should have had a pen. Would have given him 8 but for a quieter 2nd half.

Heskey- not on long enough to rate.

MON 7- probably again isn't getting as much out of our class players as he could if he played the right system. At least today I think he heeded the warning and switched Milner inside to close the game out, although had Chelsea taken their easy chances before that we'd have been talking about poor management again. The straight Heskey substitution was highly predictable in order to appease the media. And on this evidence there seems to be a very real issue with NRC, he should have been on for the last 15 or in my opinion from the start.

In all, much like the City game, all action, dangerous set pieces and a superb defensive duo. I can't help but be frustrated by MON's stubborn formation, but with results and attitude like this you can't complain, even though Chelsea didn't get out off the coach today IMO.

Rob you should read this thread, you're a celebrity ;)

I've just done that - **** hell lads youre a bunch of sad bastards ;-)

actually I wish I'd have known, I'd have given the camera a double middle digit :-)

Ashley is just going through a mediocre spell IMO. He should always start for me though.

Same here, he was poor today yet set up 2 goals (admittedly from corners but still, they were decent deliveries), can't argue with that sort of poor performance really.

Great game today. Everyone played well.

Cuellar Motm for me (dealt very well with Cole and Malouda) - though you could have given it to 7 or 8 players today.

The game changed when Boswinga went off. Boswinga plays almost as a right winger when Chelsea are on top. When they replaced him with Ivanovic!? they lost their outlet on the right and we were able to close out the game.

As for Ash - he works bloody hard and puts in tackle after tackle. It may not be the fancy wing play that we are used to seeing from him, but when he disrupts the opposition as much as he did today, he is a very useful asset.

Absolutely superb performance.

When Drogba scored such a soft goal not long after a stone wall penalty was turned down, I was convinced it was not going to be our day.

But the lads didn't let their heads drop and had the better of Chelsea in every area of the pitch. The two centre halves were immense, Warnock really is a superb fullback and Gabby shown just how much he has improved this season, all his performance lacked was a goal.

Two convincing wins against the Sky 4 now, not many teams will be able to say that this season!

A great result, really really impressive.

Worked hard for the result and they you deserve!

Chelsea are clearly the better team 9 times out of 10 but thats why football is so great if you work had and are organised then you can get the result you want.

Gabby towards the end of the first half was superb, made that word removed Cole look a mug, getting him a booking!

Terry having his little fit as well was superb!

Sidwell i just dont get, i never notice him but must be doing something as we do so well with results with him in the team.

Young, set up 2 goals yes but needs to be a little bit more consistent!

Looking forward to Match of the day now :D

Definite pen as well, joke of a decision.

Well played boys.

Proud of the boys today. I think we deserved the victory. Although they had chances we had the biggest one when Milner squared for Carew. Back for were excellent. Cuellar had a poor first half and an immense second half. Collins, Dunne and Warnock are turning out to be absolite gems. I was very impressed with Sidders and Petrov again as well, their use of the ball was very good and battled really hard. Ashley Young's open play was poor but when you can produce two match winning balls in like that then it's why he is in the team.

Milner's workrate was second to none as was Gabby's who gave their defence a right run around till he got switched to the right. Carew had a good first half and held up the ball well. Heck, I even thought Heskey did well when he came on to put pressure and hold the ball down the corner.

Friedel 6- an unusual gaff from the big man, but redeemed himself with some crucial although straightforward saves.

Cuellar 7- good defensive work and poor distribution is becoming a feature with him at right back.

Collins 9*- got a goal and another excellent all round defensive display.

Dunne 8- while I thought Dunne shaded Collins in the City game, Collins just shaded it today, but otherwise, ditto.

Warnock 8- very impressive and warrants his place on this evidence.

Milner 7- great workrate again and tracked back superbly.

Petrov 7- he played nicely again. Either he's out to prove he can play in this system or MON has told him to pull his weight so he doesn't have to play NRC.

Sidwell 6- didn't notice him but he must be doing a half decent job.

Young 6- strange to give him an average mark considering he laid on both goals. Overall though he probably didn't do as much as he could, and the goals were mainly brought about due to Chelsea's ineptitude.

Carew 6- slightly better.

Agbonlahor 7- super energy and should have had a pen. Would have given him 8 but for a quieter 2nd half.

Heskey- not on long enough to rate.

MON 7- probably again isn't getting as much out of our class players as he could if he played the right system. At least today I think he heeded the warning and switched Milner inside to close the game out, although had Chelsea taken their easy chances before that we'd have been talking about poor management again. The straight Heskey substitution was highly predictable in order to appease the media. And on this evidence there seems to be a very real issue with NRC, he should have been on for the last 15 or in my opinion from the start.

In all, much like the City game, all action, dangerous set pieces and a superb defensive duo. I can't help but be frustrated by MON's stubborn formation, but with results and attitude like this you can't complain, even though Chelsea didn't get out off the coach today IMO.

don't believe that for a second, watch the game again.

Great performance

Carew was poor again today. He just doesn't seem to put the effort in. Fine, he wins a few balls in the air but is rarely a goal threat. Not sure why he got such a round of applause. In the second half Young and then Warnock were breaking there necks sprinting down the wing with the ball and he just ambles forward. He didn't offer himself on either occasion. I think he beleives in he hype and the continual song we sing about him. By contrast Ash was average today but he never stops chasing back. Gabby was the same

Heskey quite rightly gets stick, but carew should get just as much

Great performance

Carew was poor again today. He just doesn't seem to put the effort in. Fine, he wins a few balls in the air but is rarely a goal threat. Not sure why he got such a round of applause. In the second half Young and then Warnock were breaking there necks sprinting down the wing with the ball and he just ambles forward. He didn't offer himself on either occasion. I think he beleives in he hype and the continual song we sing about him. By contrast Ash was average today but he never stops chasing back. Gabby was the same

Heskey quite rightly gets stick, but carew should get just as much

it was quite bizarre in the 2nd half when at one point all of our midfield were infront of our strikers who were strolling up through the middle. I couldn't think for a minute why neither of them were busting a gut to get into the box, only explanation was that they were both shattered.

Even without the goals, Dunne and Collins are a genius signing.

Best defensive duo since Evans and McNaught

Took the words out of my mouth, Rob.

I was thinking "Evans/McNaught reincarnated" all game.

Warnock's **** excellent, too.