PL: Chelsea h 2009/10/17 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

lucky they delayed the kick off I was running late. thought we were the better side from the off should of had a penalty, and even though they passed it around sharply we had more urgency. Couldn't believe it when drogba scored I think it bounced infront of Friedel but I was cursing anyway.

Dunne and Collins are awesome. I can't believe we've just thrown these pair together for the collective sum of curtis davies. Feel as though we're rock solid now.

Excellent delivery for both goals Ashley toiled all day without much luck, he was up against a brick wall in bosingwa I think he needs a goal to bring his swagger back.

Petrov was magnificent in midfield, breaking up play and winning balls he had no right to. Talismanic Sidwell put in his usual shift.

My only gripe was with Carew he seemed lethargic, I remember a piece of play where a ball goes out for a throw and he was too busy jogging over to the chelsea player who tackled him to shake his hand than show for the ball. Although he did up the graft towards the end.

Heskey come on and did a job of putting his huge arse in the way of the ball up the corner. What a win!

Liverpool and Chelsea - check, 6 more top4ings to come lol.

There's so much courage and tenacity in this team now and we easily have an equally good defence as Man United and Chelsea. What I loved about the victory today was the sheer determination despite going a goal down, but storming back putting Chelsea under lots of pressure and getting two deserved goals which put Chelsea into shock and made them come out and have a real go at us; but even when Chelsea were throwing everything at us - we still defended admirably until the very end.

As for the 4-4-2 formation; I felt slightly worried because Chelsea have lots of strength in the middle, but in successive games Petrov was brilliant in the middle and his passing was excellent. I think the 4-4-2 will be staying when we play at home.

Got to laugh at Wet Spam selling us James Collins for only £5 million... but all credit goes to MON getting this guy because I can honestly say I never took too much notice of him when he played for West Ham.

Friedel 6- an unusual gaff from the big man, but redeemed himself with some crucial although straightforward saves.

Cuellar 7- good defensive work and poor distribution is becoming a feature with him at right back.

Collins 9*- got a goal and another excellent all round defensive display.

Dunne 8- while I thought Dunne shaded Collins in the City game, Collins just shaded it today, but otherwise, ditto.

Warnock 8- very impressive and warrants his place on this evidence.

Milner 7- great workrate again and tracked back superbly.

Petrov 7- he played nicely again. Either he's out to prove he can play in this system or MON has told him to pull his weight so he doesn't have to play NRC.

Sidwell 6- didn't notice him but he must be doing a half decent job.

Young 6- strange to give him an average mark considering he laid on both goals. Overall though he probably didn't do as much as he could, and the goals were mainly brought about due to Chelsea's ineptitude.

Carew 6- slightly better.

Agbonlahor 7- super energy and should have had a pen. Would have given him 8 but for a quieter 2nd half.

Heskey- not on long enough to rate.

MON 7- probably again isn't getting as much out of our class players as he could if he played the right system. At least today I think he heeded the warning and switched Milner inside to close the game out, although had Chelsea taken their easy chances before that we'd have been talking about poor management again. The straight Heskey substitution was highly predictable in order to appease the media. And on this evidence there seems to be a very real issue with NRC, he should have been on for the last 15 or in my opinion from the start.

In all, much like the City game, all action, dangerous set pieces and a superb defensive duo. I can't help but be frustrated by MON's stubborn formation, but with results and attitude like this you can't complain, even though Chelsea didn't get out off the coach today IMO.

don't believe that for a second, watch the game again.

Don't believe what for a second? That chelsea didn't get off the coach? What I meant by that was that they were half asleep until about 60 mins in. Ashley Cole, Carvalho, Malouda, Anelka, and Deco jesus what a waste of space. Terry's the only one who can be given credit imo. I mean credit to Villa as they were better all over the pitch but Chelsea have had much better days AND for both our goals their defending was comical. They didn't seem to turn up for me. Villa did thankfully.

every player other than friedel were fantastic today, well actually cuellar brilliant defensively but a liability on the ball, i feel sorry for him being stuck out of position, but he is better than beye and not as good as collins/dunne on current form

best home game for ages

What I meant by that was that they were half asleep until about 60 mins in

without turning this into Chelseatalk i thought their football was superb today .. the pass and move was slick and on another day against another team they would have got the result

It's just the steel and determination that Dunne and Collins give us at the back makes us hard to beat

i was scathing after our no show at Blackburn but Man City and Chelsea have been about fight and effort as much as anything ..at Blackburn we didn't show it and got rolled

i thought chelsea were pretty good but really lacked width, allowing carlos and warnock to come in and double up, if they had stretched the game and left dunne/collins on drogba/anelka then lamps has space to run into, but IMO the diamond doesnt do that and we had them covered more often than not

that said we defended brilliantly and they still missed 2 1v1s

i thought we were very good, all of the back 4 were great despite some dodgy passing from cuellar, petrov and sidwell worked tirelessly, ash set up both goals and should have set up the 3rd yet still had a poor game which i think says alot about him, milner was typical milner and in the 1st half made an amazing goal saving tackle, carew should of scored and looked pretty poor, gabby was brilliant all over the pitch and made cole look piss poor which is a bonus, big john was quiet again but tracked back really well

as for MON, i was screaming for NRC to come on with half an hour left, but the big john defensive tactic worked for me and heskey was timed just right, strange to say but i think we got it right today, 4-4-2 worked, we were overrun at times but apart from 15 mins after their goal we were equal to them and at times looked great

but the big john defensive tactic worked for me

loved his tackle in the right back position ..and aslo didn't like it as i'm not a beleiving in strikers being in the RB position making tackles ..

TBF Heskey does a similar sort of thing but then we break and lack forward options ... I'm sure MON is working on it though

Young wasnt at the top of his game but made up for it with sheer hard work, tracking back, tough tackles etc. first he needs a rest and then a goal and he will be back on form.we are 2 signings away from being serious top 4 contenders. We look like a solid confident, organised team

every player other than friedel were fantastic today, well actually cuellar brilliant defensively but a liability on the ball, i feel sorry for him being stuck out of position, but he is better than beye and not as good as collins/dunne on current form

best home game for ages

OK, the cock-up from Drogba's goal aside, he was pretty good for the rest of the match and don't forget his match-saving save at the end from Anelka which probably made up for his mistake.

only explanation was that they were both shattered.

That can never apply to carew, he just doesn't make any effort to keep up with the play. Doesn't want to get sweaty before he goes off to Legs 11!

Seriously though this happens regularly and I noticed the same thing before, particualry two seasons ago. Carew was lazy today and was the same again today. To be fair to gabby he does put the effort in.

A great win, but as always some of you MUST concentrate on the negative

it would be a bit boring if we didn't debate the whole game and individual performances. Anyone who says carew played any part today is deluding themselves. He was rubbish and worst of all lazy. By contrast the other 10 put in a great shift and produced a sterling result. Chelsea played some lovely stuff going forward to to reducee them to a fortunate goal is great stuff. Collins and Dunne were superby. Warnock has a bit of John Gidman about him. he gets forward and looks dangerous with his final ball. I suspect that's why MON plays Cuellar to ensure we always have 3 at the back when Warnock goes forward.

With Downing to come in the next few months, its looking good. Will MON have the balls to spend big in Jan on a striker we definitely need?

best home game for ages

OK, the cock-up from Drogba's goal aside, he was pretty good for the rest of the match and don't forget his match-saving save at the end from Anelka which probably made up for his mistake.

to be honest i havent seen the saves on the tele but at the game they all looked like regulation saves straight at him or near him when i was at the game

sort of shots that if they had gone in they would have been bigger cock ups than the goal he conceded.

like i said, i havent seen it on the tele so i am willing to change my view once i have seen them again

Thought Chelsea were very narrow today, ill thought out IMO, this diamond for' they are playing IMO leaves them on a very sticky wicket when playing a well organized defence and midfield as today, so narrow in fact it was like watching an old western with the Indians surrounding the wagon train every time they came forward, at one point i watched Bosingwa pick the ball up wide, move in field, tried to find a chelsea player, there must have been at least 4 standing in a tight bunch with no more than about 6ft between them, around them were Villa defenders, Bosingwa carried on with the ball right across the top of the penalty box finally ending up on the other wing, losing the ball to Milner.

When they did break through, most of the time it was either a through pass or a break dead centre of the box followed by a longish but very straight shot to Friedal.

IMO, bearing in mind, Chelsea would have expected to lift 3 points today, i think we out thought them and outplayed them in the important areas that matter, if you watch the game again we actually allowed them time on the ball in area's that was completely ineffectual.

Again i couldn't knock any Villa player, everybody did a job, Collins and Dunne, just awesome, Gabby awareness is so sharp now that when he's faced with a marker standing on his heels, limiting is chances to score he switches to a real grafters role, :clap: and I used to think he was a bit slow on the up take, silly me.. 2 great set pieces from Ashley Young without which i dread to think, he's now developing a new role for himself IMO, just as well because Premiership defences are now onto him, Downing will prove to be a fantastic addition IMO he's made for Villa, bet he's watching these games and he's chomping at the bit to get out there.

Excellent result.................... :clap:

best home game for ages

to be honest i havent seen the saves on the tele but at the game they all looked like regulation saves straight at him or near him when i was at the game

sort of shots that if they had gone in they would have been bigger cock ups than the goal he conceded.

like i said, i havent seen it on the tele so i am willing to change my view once i have seen them again

No, you're spot on SandL. Big Brad would have expected to make all the saves he needed to today, including the one he cocked up.

He's saved us enough points since he's been with us with classy saves for me to forgive his howler today mind.

A great win, but as always some of you MUST concentrate on the negative.

Don't worry about it. Some people are wary of getting too excited by things, because then any disappointment seems worse. Some are a bit superstitious, and think that you invite bad luck by celebrating success too much. And some are just pessimistic - look at the first few pages of the match thread. But I'm sure everyone welcomes wins like this one.

But to finish on one negative point - William Hill is marginally worse off today after my bet on today's result. Sorry about that, Mr Hill. But I expect you'll cope.