PL: Chelsea h 2009/10/17 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

They were pretty good going forward...they had some world class moves and we eradicated any problem every single time.

However, we do wait until the last minute to get a challenge in...it's quite nerve racking but I'm glad we have such a quality defence.

The penalty was absolutely stonewall. Gabby was about to hit a right foot volley, with Bosingwa on his left. Bosingwa had hold of his shirt, and tried to swing his right leg around Gabby to get the ball, completely missed it and dragged Gabby to the floor.

The ref was blatantly starstruck by the occasion. It was his third Prem game (the others being Wolves v Fulham, and Burnley v Blues). He saw the big, beautiful boys of Chelsea, and thought "If I don't give them easy decisions, I'll get criticised, and I want to start refereeing bigger games". Gave them everything.

By the way, did no one else think that Cuellar had an absolutely **** awful first half? I thought he was going to be subbed off for Beye at halftime.

Glad he stepped it up second half but still cannot wait for Luke Young to get back.

"He cuts his own hair,

He cuts his own hair,

That rocket polisher Terry,

He cuts his own hair..."

So chuffed with today - our grit and determination got us our goals today! Superb performances by Warnock, Collins, Dunne and Petrov. It was refreshing to see Gabby chasing absolutley everything down - and especially loved seeing him tear the arse off Ashley Cole down the flanks. It seems that with Fabio Capello showing interest in Agbonlahor it has certainly given him some belief and increased workrate.

Was disappointed to find ourselves a goal behind - especially to such a soft strike by Drogba, Friedel should've done better, much better in fact. But clearly made up for it throughout the rest of the game. The fact that Chelsea havn't lost a game this season where they've taken the lead is testament to our team today. At times Chelsea stoked it around nicely and carved open opportunities in the second half - but we defended excellently. Lampard was kept very quiet today, credit to the immense Petrov and his band of brothers in midfield.

My man of the match......David Beckham. :D

Was disappointed to find ourselves a goal behind

I was obviously gutted about it at the time but unlike other times I wasnt disappointed per say, or not disappointed with the team. My heart hadnt dropped as I thought we were fantastic up until then.

Estatic that we won and i thought we thoroughly deserved it, playing against a cheating ref and we were brilliant. Thats what I like to see from the boys and thats what makes me proud to be a villa fan.

We really wanted it today, and it showed. It was just one of those performances had we even lost I would have still been proud, winning was a bonus. Great day :)

No mention of the fantastic last ditch tackle from Milner to stop Malouda shooting.

Appeared from absolutely nowhere! Brilliant. In fact Milners energy today was astounding, he's liable to appear in any position on the pitch.

No negatives today, Friedel misjudged but was unlucky .

A great day to be a Villa fan and the whole team deserve credit, top marks to all. Two wins out of two against the Sky 4 after the win at the Emirates last season just shows the progress we're making. A win against Manure would make my season :)

Gabby towards the end of the first half was superb, made that word removed Cole look a mug, getting him a booking!

This.

Once he got himself going he was absolutely unbelievable, ragging Cole to get the overhit cross and then skinning him for the booking showed just how amazingly quick he is.

He seems to have bursts of growth as a player. Struggled a bit second half and his spell at right back (he hasn't a clue how to play right mid!!) in the second half was a shame because he'd have destroyed them on the break if he'd been through the middle. That said, his take and lay off to Young for the Carew miss was fantastic.

it really does amaze me how people critisize MON for this performance, we played 4-4-2 up until 2-1. Then we went 4-5-1 packed the midfield and remained in control.

We ALWAYS went for the win against a top of the league team.

We always looked like scoring.

Ashley Young put atleast 4-5 GOOD crosses in the box never mind the 2 assists.

Carew played some great passes and hold-up play.

Gabby was end to end and a thorn in A.Cole (who by the way is one of the best LB in the world) side all game.

Chelsea were forced to play throug Cech for alot of the game.

Cuellar after a below average first half made some crucial tackles second half.

and we did all this and won with a Cockney Loving Ref.

I just wish we had scored a goal from open play coz lord only know we deserved it. But set pieces will be good too

Today was a pleasure to watch us play and i hope this style of football continues.

UTV

Ultimately our effort was 100% throughout. Chelsea were i'd say, working at about 50% and upped it to about 75% after our second. It shows that if you do have 11 men working for each other anything can happen in football, regardless of MON's lack of tactics. I think the failings if the 442 with petrov may again come back to haunt us if he sticks with it, but at the moment those two at the back have given us some leadership that perhaps we haven't had when this system has invariably failed over the last 6 months.

Admittedly, Chelsea did play some nice stuff in the second half, they will do, they have some of the best players in the world. But we caught them off guard today, much like we did to city in the last game. That's a useful trait to have- to start games better than the opponent and do them for effort. But chelsea were off colour, no doubt about it. If they weren't then we will comfortably win the league this year!

The two cbs have been inspiring and the spiritual captains for the last few games, and when the opportunity arises one of them should be given the captaincy if NRC is out the door. Petrov quite simply does not inspire those around him and maybe this is what we've been lacking, much like barry.

What a strange set of musings.

Chelsea were good today. We were better. That was down to effort, skill, team selection, and tactics.

Petrov was inspirational. And he was the captain, and gave a captain's performance. Your reference to the CBs being the "spiritual captains" is a quite insulting attempt to deny him the credit for his exemplary play.

Why? Does it fit some preconception? Do you have some idea that you want to try to construct "evidence" to support? For ****'s sake, just recognise that the team and the manager achieved a great result over a very good team who played very well, while using players and tactics which you think are crap.

Petrov played a decent game today, as he did against city. All i'm saying is that since dunne and collins have come into the side they have looked inspirational, and they for me are a large reason why this system (which for so long failed) has maybe turned a corner and could work with two outstanding defenders.

I have my doubts about Petrov as captain, but I hold my hands up today, he played well.

And I do recognise we played a good game today, and that I thought was down to our ability to be quick out the box and excellent energy levels, something that chelsea couldn't get to grips with.

As for tactics and team selection being spot on...well that's pushing it a bit, as he's very predictable in that respect and I don't think he thinks about that too much, but 10/10 for the teamtalk in the last two games MON.

Bloody excellent game today. Really hard to fault anyone, because it was a superb team effort, and while some had outstanding performances - it took all 11 men on the pitch to really ensure we stopped any real Chelsea threats.

Collins and Dunne are amazingly good....... I know some West Spam fans and they all told me that we'd got a better deal than Upson...... And so far I can't argue with that.

I honestly thought I was seeing things when Terry reacted to our second goal, and needed to see it shown on the TV to be sure, and to even have the BBC pick it up and mention him throwing a tantrum makes it all the better.

The Ref was a complete joke - A stonewall penalty, although some commentators have said it wasn't certain, which I find hard to even begin to understand. Had it been the other way around, you can bet your bottom dollar they would have been screaming for the decision. Thankfully it didn't influence the final outcome of the game, but it was indicative of the Ref's entire performance today.

I also think I'm right in saying that so far, Chelsea and Villa had the two best defences so far in the league before this game - makes the result even more satisfying.

I think MON would be nutty to go into this one with a 442.

I think we got away with it to an extent against Citeh as they were playing two slower players in the centre which played into our hands for most of the game, and also our 2 cbs were playing at their optimum level, which we probably can't expect every game.

I think if we go in 4-5-1 it suits our wingers and we can get at them, but it could be a bit backs to the wall, so we need NRC please. I predict a gritty 0-0 or 1-1.

However, 442 and I think it'll be game that we play into their hands and they'll stroll it 2-0 without getting into 2nd gear.

We got away with it against city, but i'm sure that they'd have won had ireland been playing from the start, and chelsea are better than city.

Ultimately our effort was 100% throughout. Chelsea were i'd say, working at about 50% and upped it to about 75% after our second. It shows that if you do have 11 men working for each other anything can happen in football, regardless of MON's lack of tactics. I think the failings if the 442 with petrov may again come back to haunt us if he sticks with it, but at the moment those two at the back have given us some leadership that perhaps we haven't had when this system has invariably failed over the last 6 months.

Maybe you'd like to admit that MON got it right today and you called it wrong?

haha good research! I called it wrong yes but I noticed a few people predicting defeat when the team was announced. I'd say MON certainly got the teamtalk right today, but i'd still find it hard to say that we are better in this formation, it has been proven we are more solid in a 451. MON did drop a man in today to protect the lead, which was an astounding display of tactics that we have rarely seen from him. Simple things that need to be done more often. Keep it up MON.

I did say that we probably can't expect our defenders to play like they did against city every game, hence the 442 would get found out today. However, our defenders did play out of their skins again and the team gave 100%, and we punished 2 horrific errors. So I hold my hands up lol.

I do remember watching the game on ESPN2 and thinking, waitaminute, was that Rob?

rjw63.jpg

rjw632.jpg

I woke up at 7:30, then rolled back into bed until 9. I distinctly remember dreaming Aston Villa 2 - 1 Chelsea.

I was a bit weirded out at the end of the game...

Tommo you say that Chelsea were off colour :lol: Are you serious! Thats why on MOTD they said that its the best they have seen Chelsea play this season. May i suggest you try and get a job as a red top sports writer as thats the sort of comment that they make when Villa beat one of the top 4.

Everyone in the team was brilliant today!

Friedel - 8 - Made up for that terrible goal with some excellent saves

Cueller - 8 - Was steady and reliable but would still put Young back when he is ready.

Dunne - 10 - Bloody brilliant!!

Collins - 10 - Fantastic and has to be said that he has deserved MOTM a couple of times already. All i can say is 5 million!!! :lol: With him and Dunne we have a couple of Gods Mk 2

Warnock - 9 - Did he shag Sams wife or something because he should not of been sold, he doesnt put a foot wrong and if he says there is more to come then wow!

Young - 7 - Worked hard today but he needs competition off Downing. He came across a world class defender today and struggled and in my opinion is why he wont be on the plane to South Africa.

Petrov- 10 - What a game! and a worthy captain!

Sidwell - 8 - Him and Petrov are linking up well and a lot of his work goes unoticed but a key player

Milner - 9 - Work rate is immense and he will be on the VERY LONG LIST of candidates for player of the season

Agbonhalor - 9 -Class and i think he will get better, he is really using that extra weight and is set for SA if he continues on this form. I really thought he was heading for Luke Young Territory last year but he keeps upping his game when needed.

Carew - 7 - Worrying because if he was on form we would be really flying! Hope he ups his game.

Hesky - 5 - Glad he wasn't booed but he really brings nothing to the party except a bit of crap Carlsberg. I really worry whn he comes on though i hope he proves me wrong like Petrov did a couple of seasons ago.

Ref - 5 - Had stars in his eyes for the first half as gave them everything, slightly improved in second half and can only think that he saw a replay of the penalty incident

I do remember watching the game on ESPN2 and thinking, waitaminute, was that Rob?

rjw63.jpg

rjw632.jpg

I woke up at 7:30, then rolled back into bed until 9. I distinctly remember dreaming Aston Villa 2 - 1 Chelsea.

I was a bit weirded out at the end of the game...

El Cid you jammy sod you re now in the hall of fame for being seen on MOTD :lol: (though that kid at the liverpool game was glad they pixelated his face out)

I was speaking to Glynn Purnell (Mitchelin star chef and blue nose) on Friday at the gym and he was saying he saw himself on MOTD against us and was ringing his mates up all excited, hes on tele a lot but said MOTD was better than them all :lol: he rang his mate " Did you see me on tele!!" "yes you were on Saturday kitchen" " Not that MOTD!" :lol: