EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

Half full Villa Park for those big European nights... Couldn't even manage 30K!

UEFA Cup/Europa League has lost all the sparkle it used to have.....

ALL the attention is on the Champions League.

We played well tonight and won but it just wasn't good enough. We should have scored more. Curtis shouldn't have been playing

he was in pain but determined to do his best. His shoulder was completely locked when he went off and he couldn't move his arm.

Oh well THAT was the prize of finishing 5th or 6th!

Haven't cared about this comp since the Moscow debacle

Or after the Prague result when we started fielding what were so clearly understrength teams and we started treating the competition with contempt, contempt it perhaps deserves.

i trekked over to hamburg to see banana man and marlene embaress us.

and therefore havent given a **** about the uefa cup since then.

i feel martin agrees with me.

**** him. and **** this ridiculous notion that were going to be anyway near a top 6 club this season.

I though MON was **** appalling.

It's amazing really, the world we live in. This game of football.

Probably the only game in the world where someone can win whilst being "**** appalling".

Yes but winning 2-1 wasn't good enough. We knew that beforehand. We needed to win outright on aggregate.

And because of MON's decision to play 4-4-2, we didn't do enough to win the tie.

The defence weren't too bad at all, just as soon as you become that open then there are going to be chances, we should of made changes.,
Same old story when we play the 4-4-2 system, it doesn't suit our defence IMO, I hope we change the team and tactics back for Fulham.

Lets stay calm, We'll beat Fulham on sunday I'm certain because we won't play heskey, and Reo and Sidwell will be back in the team. The team that played against liverpool + Carew will have a decent season and be around that European places.

I still can't believe how ineffective Hekey is, for someone with so much experience, why is he so useless for us???

The reduction in games will help with the league and it will also mean we can play full strength teams in the domestic cups.

you mean like how we bowed out of the UEFA cup so we could cement our third place position?

whatever...

another piss poor effort and shit team selection.

another pile of shit excuses from the normal people.

oh sorry, we should all be happy we get dumped out of a competition we played all last season just to get into, the same competition most of the sheeple said put us above the likes of man city and spudz for players who truely want to do something rather than going for the money.

isnt much more to say really, im becoming almost disinterested at times with how things are going.

a clear sign that this season we will be midtable as everyone including the sheeple dont expect the top 4 and we are hardly going to be fighting for 5th or 6th are we, it means **** all to MON.

no one better complain though just incase he throws his pc games out of his pram.

Strangely, I'm not as disappointed as I expected. I thought we played very well, everybody good except Heskey and a sub-par Petrov - I'd have swapped them for Gabby and NRC at half-time. Very pleased with Delph, Beye, Cuellar and even Shorey. Young and Milner were superb. Worrying about Davies' shoulder, though.

Graham Taylor was quite right that this might be a blessing in disguise. "Concentrate on the league" is a cliche, but I think appropriate here.

Massive credit to Rapid, who outpassed us and kept plugging away. They deserved it - and so did their fantastic fans, who - on the TV evidence - outsang us. Well done RV, and good luck in the competition.

Yeah some of Delphs passing and stuff was good but he shouldnt of been playing it should of been Reo.

We conceded simply because he let his man go and that person created the goal.

The midfield is so lightweight you need a bit fo muscle in there like a Reo kind of figure.

The main problem for us in matches is because we play with 10 men as Heskey simply does nothing.

Probably one of the worst strikers at villa i have seen in a long time and their is no way MON will drop him because of their CLOSE friendship.

Sorry for the rants but im fed up with some of MON,s decisions.

Look at the positives

- We won the game and stages played really well

- Carew took a while to get going but looked sharp

- We can play 4-4-2 and win game

- Some of the defending was really good

- Being out of Europe might help us in the league

- Young was back to how he played last season running at defences

The only negatives

- Davies Injury

- The way we played when we went 2 up it was a times to defensive.

- Young missed a penalty

The negatives are easily fixed there is no major problem like after the Wigan game with Warnock and Dunne our squad is good enough in terms of quality and numbers for a full tilt at the league.

A few other negatives you seem to have missed

- We are out of Europe

- That makes it difficult to attract decent players

- or retain your existing ones

And

- The way we let them stroll through the centre of our midfield in the last 30 minutes. If they could finish at all they would have won 3 or 4 - 2!!

- Our manager hasn't got a clue and has the memory of a goldfish!!

We've seen it all before Martin. We NEED to CHANGE things.

He has the players. He just refuses to use them. I am getting very very bored with him. If he is going to play 4-4-2 with Petrov in there at home this season we are going to be in trouble, especially if he won't take him off for the last 30 when he is tired or add an extra CM. He adds nothing in that formation. Lets see NRC and Delph if he's gonna try it - high energy and good mix. Otherwise, it has to be 4-5-1.

Cuellar - not for me, caught facing wrong way for goal

Were we watching the same game? Cuellar played well throughout.

He was left high and dry by the goal by the fact that Delph let his man go.

Get a grip!!

Even the pundit on Channel 5 said Cuellar had played really, really well.

It was Delph who should have tracked the player back, he was at fault not Cuellar.

Cuellar - not for me, caught facing wrong way for goal

Were we watching the same game? Cuellar played well throughout.

He was left high and dry by the goal by the fact that Delph let his man go.

Get a grip!!

can't agree , as soon Vienna upped the tempo , he floundered to me, to slow and error prone.

I dont understand why the team was changed from Monday - it doesnt make sense

MY POINT EXACTLY MATE !

My Question for MON as for your now rediculous statement about villa fans.

Yeah Martin your right some of do play CHampionship Manager as you call it. Your dcecision to revert back to 4 - 4 - 2 after beating Liverpool with a 4 - 5 - 1 you reverted back to 4 - 4- 2 to play Heskey again ? Not being funny Martin but if a side beat Liverpool 3 - 1 at Anfield i,d keep the same squad and formation.

See my point or should i just go back to FOOTBALL MANAGER !

Graham Taylor was quite right that this might be a blessing in disguise. "Concentrate on the league" is a cliche, but I think appropriate here.

Like when we concentrated on the League out in Moscow?

I don't want us to go out of any competition. We're now not going to be challenging ourselves against some of Europe's best teams. Playing in Europe helps develop a team further.