EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

MON was very poor.

Got it tactically spot on.

We kept hold of the ball, looked for gaps and hit them on the break and on the deck.

After Carew hit the second and after a wee fight back from rapid we took control again and looked the most likely to hit a 3rd. If it aint broke....

STRONGLY agree.

I think MON got it completely right. The only problem we had was our defence. We were missing an experienced defender who has a bit of pace and a leader. But guess what...

Looks like he is about to sign one in Richard Dunne.

Im sure an awful lot of Villa fans are going to be angry and no body likes losing but I will feel so disappointed if MON takes a lot of critiscm for this, and i feel everytime something goes wrong the finger will be pointed at MON.

He is trying his best and thats all i ask from anybody wearing the claret and blue.

So i hope every1 continues to get behind the team.

God ..out come the doom mongers again!!!

Negatives:

Heskey and Carew shouldn't really play up front together.

442 really should be dropped, although we did win the game!!

Central midfield can be a "little" lightweight.

We do need another striker.

Positives:

We won the game, and only the away rule knocked us out.

Delph was fantastic and this kid will be starting soon, his vision and awareness and the way he strokes the ball is awsome.

Carew scored a great goal.

The boys really did play some fantastic football.

Ash Young was on fire, especially when he skinned two defenders straight between both of them.

Beye was consistant, and has settled right in. If thats our backup then im happy.

Shorey again looking better, and with Warnock ready to come in, its exciting.

Albrighton was give another little chance to shine, maybe needs a little longer.

Milner was bloody immnese, and i think he is going to be playing for England :) Vision and workrate has been incredible.

Guzan with some fantastic saves.

Cuellar - He cleared of the line and looked great all game.

The only thing against us was a little luck, we went out because of the away goal rule, not because we lost. We can concentrate on the league and maybe just maybe with this talented strong looking squad, we can break the top 4. We have lost to wigan, then beat Liverpool and beat Rapid Vienna so lets move on the next game and keep this unbeaten run going.

Chin up people :)

Upto 15 less games to play with our smaller squad, we can focus fully on the league and the FA & League cups. We have a much better chance of a top four finish now (however unlikely) than we did with Europa football.

sorry but we are not going to be challenging for cl this year. if we cant get past rapid vienna who seriously are nothing special what chance do we have of over-throwing one of the top four.

we are going to put all our hard effort in to qualify again for europa and we cant even get to group stage. very poor indeed.

motm was cuellar he was terrfic. heskey should never start again for us unless we have a serious injury list. i think even harewood is better than him. at least he actually has a pop and scored a few goals heskey just does nothing but fall over all the time. i wish we never signed him.

I thought we played some decent stuff tonight though annoyingly this game reminded me of Stoke last season we'd got ourselves into decent a position 2-0 and were through but instead we continued with our shape and just looked so damn open in the middle and tired , Vienna had already rattled us after we went 2-0 up so why not shut up shop and hit the feckers on the break .

Part of me is thinkin ok we can now concentrate on more important things while the other part of me is sayin no no we deserve to be here and win it , oh well we best pull our finger out in the league now

but blaming Heskey is not right...he made a decent contribution.

Thought Beye and Shorey both played well & Cuellar was a beast.

How can Beye, Shorey & Cuellar have been good, yet we conceded :?

Not blaming Heskey, but i don't think he made much of a decent contribution. A Striker is judged on goals & he didn't score.

Look at the positives

- We won the game and stages played really well

- Carew took a while to get going but looked sharp

- We can play 4-4-2 and win game

- Some of the defending was really good

- Being out of Europe might help us in the league

- Young was back to how he played last season running at defences

The only negatives

- Davies Injury

- The way we played when we went 2 up it was a times to defensive.

- Young missed a penalty

The negatives are easily fixed there is no major problem like after the Wigan game with Warnock and Dunne our squad is good enough in terms of quality and numbers for a full tilt at the league.

A few other negatives you seem to have missed

- We are out of Europe

- That makes it difficult to attract decent players

- or retain your existing ones

MON proves his lack of tactical awareness again!! 25 mins to go and midfield, anchored by Stan (who should never play in a 4-4-2) getting overrun.

Bring on NRC and Gab for the two strikers and shut it down.

Will he never learn. Did he not see the last 15 matches of last season?? Stoke, West Ham etc etc etc.. Getting boring. The man must be an idiot??

THIS!

You are right mate, same error again. MON will never learn.

MON have had to close the door after the second goal with 4-5-1.

This was the only but major mistake in our gameplan.

Guzan - no chance with goal - but looked a little shaky all night, couldn't really see the advantage of playing a number 2 keeper.

Beye - mostly sound, but seems to get caught out of position.

Shorey - good game tonight

Cuellar - not for me, caught facing wrong way for goal

Davies - Sound

Delph - some good passes, impressed me tonight

Petrov - bit anonymous tonight

Young - good performance MOTM

Milner - good

Heskey - dire, really can't see any advantage to playing him at all - should now be 4th choice striker or sold.

Carew - quiet at times - great goal though

in general, we always looked liked conceding, and only looked threatening in fits and starts. Personally i would dispense with squad rotation in defence, and try to come up with a solid unit.

Vienna's goal was a major sucker punch they looked dangerous on the break but they couldn't hit a barn door for most of the match, I honestly thought 2-0 was going to be enough but it was not to be.

We could have put the tie to rest had Young converted the first penalty, Milner scored in the second half, Heskey went off 10 minutes too late for me in the match he should have gone off after 70 minutes, he was totally ineffective.

On the whole we played very well, we won the match but not the tie. Delph looks exciting lovely left foot, his quick passing and running really helped find gaps in the Vienna defence, Petrov was looking good but tired towards the end. Milner worked his socks off as per usual well taken penalty, Young looked like his old self again tonight. Un afraid to run at the full back get early balls in, run into the box and shoot and he was adventurous at times with his passing also.

Carew took his goal very well. Defensively Cuellar was very solid made a great header off the line in the second half and looked composed, Shorey was pretty poor at times and Beye looked very assured on the ball. Guzan did what he needed to. In hindsight we sat back to much in the first half and we should have pressed from the off we had the same problem in the second half.

The referee on the whole was very good although in the second half a lot of the marginal decisions or fouls when the way of the away side which was hugely frustrating. All we can do is take the positives and take the form into our next league match at Fulham and push to cement a top 6 finish again come the end of the season. It's perhaps too early to say this will be a blessing in disguise but I'm really trying to stay positive, I just hope the boo don't latch onto this because it was a very good performance just undone by an away goal.

We simply are not technically capable of competing in Europe with our current squad. Possession football is beyond us. This is the downside of signing grafters. We will continue to compete in the league because of our pace and workrate but we lack real quality to push on.

That's the first chance I've had to watch Villa this season, and based on reading this board over the last couple of weeks, was expecting much worse. Nowt wrong with the tactics, some good passing and movement. Young and Milner were great, thought Delph was good as was Shorey. Stan not so much, too many poor touches. Shame we're gone, but saw no reason for doom and gloom.

Probably because, outside of the all action balls to the wall display against Liverpool, which had a totally different feel, this is by far the best we've played. In a totaly different league to the first two games.

Of course, people will still piss and moan. Any excuse. But I don't buy it, the first 75 minutes today were the best we've played in 6 months.

I am relatively happy we have been knocked out.

Upto 15 less games to play with our smaller squad, we can focus fully on the league and the FA & League cups. We have a much better chance of a top four finish now (however unlikely) than we did with Europa football.

So, as much as it hurts at the moment to get knocked out, I think this season it is for the best. :|

Sorry, but didn't we battle last season to get into the top-6 in order to play in Europe, which is what we just got knocked out of? Isn't that the whole point? To finish high enough to PLAY in Europe! Today's loss is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery dissapointing.

To be happy that we can now concentrate solely on the FA Cup and Carling Cup is exactly what Hull, the Scum, Sunderland, etc are gearing for! It's a "losers" mentality. Villa should always be focused on the BIG PRIZES!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

That hurt, really hurt! hurt more then any other defeat in recent years! I thought we'd made it. Yet again why do I feel as though our manager was our worst enemy? A striker who never looks like scoring is played for way too long, a kid whose just jumped 2 leagues is played for too long- I could see his losing pace with the game after 60 minutes..... why do I feel another manager would have spotted these things?!...

Lets get used to it, we're going to have good days this season when we play to our strengths and days when we don't.

Ps get well Curtis! was not nice seeing his shoulder hanging off! big effort play and shame it wasn't wortth a group place in the end!

God ..out come the doom mongers again!!!

Negatives:

Heskey and Carew shouldn't really play up front together.

442 really should be dropped, although we did win the game!!

Central midfield can be a "little" lightweight.

We do need another striker.

Positives:

We won the game, and only the away rule knocked us out.

Delph was fantastic and this kid will be starting soon, his vision and awareness and the way he strokes the ball is awsome.

Carew scored a great goal.

The boys really did play some fantastic football.

Ash Young was on fire, especially when he skinned two defenders straight between both of them.

Beye was consistant, and has settled right in. If thats our backup then im happy.

Shorey again looking better, and with Warnock ready to come in, its exciting.

Albrighton was give another little chance to shine, maybe needs a little longer.

Milner was bloody immnese, and i think he is going to be playing for England :) Vision and workrate has been incredible.

Guzan with some fantastic saves.

Cuellar - He cleared of the line and looked great all game.

The only thing against us was a little luck, we went out because of the away goal rule, not because we lost. We can concentrate on the league and maybe just maybe with this talented strong looking squad, we can break the top 4. We have lost to wigan, then beat Liverpool and beat Rapid Vienna so lets move on the next game and keep this unbeaten run going.

Chin up people :)

Im no doom monger,Check my posts i have been nothing but positive and supportive.

This club not competeing in the second tier of european football is not good enough.

We got off lightly,They missed about three open goals and we only got our first because young dived.

I am no doom monger but i am also a villa fan and not a fulham fan,This club is big enough to compete on two fronts,The fact that we can`t lies with the manager.

And i am saying nothing that martin o`neill and the players will not agree with.

Milner, Young, Cuellar, Delph did well, Carew did his part. Thought Petrov was really poor and Heskey didn't do anything useful. MON should have changed things around when we were 2-0 up and they were getting back into the game, we had a decent bench too.

Really disappointed with the result, not that we had a great to chance to go all the way and win the cup but at least a night like Ajax last season would have been great. I was hoping we can finally make at least the semis in a cup this season.. At least now we should be in a good position to give the domestic cups a real go.

Im sure an awful lot of Villa fans are going to be angry and no body likes losing but I will feel so disappointed if MON takes a lot of critiscm for this, and i feel everytime something goes wrong the finger will be pointed at MON.

i agree that our defence was shit, but who's fault is that?

everytime something goes wrong, of course the finger will be pointed at MON, he's overall responsible.