EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

it makes me so angry this result. i just wanted to be in the group stages but we didnt deserve it. mon got his tactis wrong and it cost us. heskey was absolutely usless again. he offers NOTHING. i said leading up their goal that they would score unless mon changed it around but he just sat there with his head in the sand and they go through.

he should have bought on NRC and gabby sooner. as soon as we scored second our silly players just stopped attacking and just let them back into the game

i think cuellar and shorey were brilliant tonight, but mon truely **** it all up tonight with his poor decision not to start gabby. his pace would have caused them numerous problems

Gutted obviously, but part of me is glad. Shorey played well, again. Bombing forward like a winger! Delph looked quality, and Young and Milner exceptional.

BUT, on 70minutes at 2-0 up, why didn't MON take off a striker and bring Reo-Coker on to add some more reinforcement in defence? It was obvious it was needed!!!!

I thought it was an excellent display right up until the 75th minute when I think a few tired legs and a bit of inexperience meant we lost control. Rapid Vienna are no amateur side, yet for those 75 minutes we absolutely dominated them.

Ashley Young was like a man possessed. Mugged their full back off time and time again.

Milner put in a composed mature display. England regular if he keeps this up.

And despite some of the cack I've read on this forum in the last 5 minutes, I thought our midfield were in total control. Rapid hit us with some quick counter attacking football and exposed our obvious defensive flaws as well as they could.

But make no mistake, some of the football we played today was sublime.

Out at the first hurdle..very disappointing.

Will we ever have a good cup run under MON? :(

Should have brought NRC on when 2-0. Heskey again contributed very little, offers nothing. Should have switched 4-5-1.

Just dont understand the MON lovefest. Really dont. This is as good as it gets.

Fed up.

Just so unexcited about Villa and the season ahead. Not often i say that!

Right, its a bad night, however look at Everton last season. They went out early, finished 5th in the league and came runenrs up in the league cup.

Onwards on upwards, I thought we took the right approach but a lapse cost us, however I do agree that changes should have been made.

MON proves his lack of tactical awareness again!! 25 mins to go and midfield, anchored by Stan (who should never play in a 4-4-2) getting overrun.

Bring on NRC and Gab for the two strikers and shut it down.

Will he never learn. Did he not see the last 15 matches of last season?? Stoke, West Ham etc etc etc.. Getting boring. The man must be an idiot??

MON was very poor.

Got it tactically spot on.

We kept hold of the ball, looked for gaps and hit them on the break and on the deck.

After Carew hit the second and after a wee fight back from rapid we took control again and looked the most likely to hit a 3rd. If it aint broke....

Best performance so far this season, the defense through a bit of a wobbly near the end, would've been nice to see Reo-Coker plug the hole while it was there.

Guzan - 7 - Didn't have that much to deal with other than Jelavic fumbling around.

Beye - 6 - Solid but became more exposed as the game went on.

Davies - 7 - A pity about his shoulder.

Cueller - 6 - Headed most things out.

Shorey - 6 - Not terrible by any means, had a decent passing game but was skipped by too many times for my liking.

Milner - 8 - Workhorse performance, nice penalty take.

Delph - 6 - Good game, nice shot towards the end. Very quiet but did his job well. His marking cost us the goal.

Petrov - 6 - A bit anonymous but held it nicely at points.

Young - 8 - Hooray, a decent game. Pity about the penalty. Hopefully all the skins he pulled off adds to his confidence.

Carew - 6 - Great take on the goal but otherwise didn't do too much.

Heskey - 5 - Held the ball up well and bombed down the right a decent amount but should've scored from Milner's cross, and didn't give much to the team.

What I would've liked to see? Gabby and Reo-Coker on after 60 minutes to add a counter attacking threat and slow down their fightback.

I thought it was an excellent display right up until the 75th minute when I think a few tired legs and a bit of inexperience meant we lost control. Rapid Vienna are no amateur side, yet for those 75 minutes we absolutely dominated them.

Ashley Young was like a man possessed. Mugged their full back off time and time again.

Milner put in a composed mature display. England regular if he keeps this up.

And despite some of the cack I've read on this forum in the last 5 minutes, I thought our midfield were in total control. Rapid hit us with some quick counter attacking football and exposed our obvious defensive flaws as well as they could.

But make no mistake, some of the football we played today was sublime.

This.

We let them get into the game again when we got our second, Gabby should of come on earlier and Carew was losing far too many headers towards the end of the game.

Delph was real quality, WTF was with Petrov's first touch? Shocking. Every time.

Heskey was a worthless lump. another start. another defeat.

Delph is NOT ready for premiership level of football. the boy has a gift, but he cost us that goal with poor marking.

Not that they're other 94 chances mattered....

Some good performances, but we just lack that quality.

I really doubt we'll get into europe again for the next few years.

That was is.

Nice one.

d1cks.

To be fair I thought we did alright.....we won the game tonight, played some real good football towards end of first half/start of second but were very slow at the start and towards the end.

I must admit....even with the new signings of Warnock & possibly Dunne im still not convinced by our defence. Beye, Davies, Cueller, Shorey are all decent players in there own right....as a unit, quite shakey.

I also thought Heskey and Carew were a waste of time tonight. Carew showed glimses around the middle 30 mins but apart from that not great.

Ratings?

Guzan ( 7 ) did what he had to do.

Beye ( 6 ) shakey

Davies ( 6 ) shakey

Cueller ( 6.5 ) shakey but showing glimses of getting better

Shorey ( 7 ) half decent

Milner ( 8 ) fantastic MOTM

Young ( 8 ) thought he was great

Delph (7) showed glimses of being fantastic

Petrov ( 7 ) worked hard

Heskey ( 6 ) invisible

Carew ( 6.5 ) good goal, apart from that invisible

Subs didn't effect game.

it makes me so angry this result. i just wanted to be in the group stages but we didnt deserve it. mon got his tactis wrong and it cost us. heskey was absolutely usless again. he offers NOTHING. i said leading up their goal that they would score unless mon changed it around but he just sat there with his head in the sand and they go through.

he should have bought on NRC and gabby sooner. as soon as we scored second our silly players just stopped attacking and just let them back into the game

i think cuellar and shorey were brilliant tonight, but mon truely **** it all up tonight with his poor decision not to start gabby. his pace would have caused them numerous problems

Embarrassing. Disgraceful. Tactical ineptitude. Why was Heskey on the pitch for 80 minutes. Why was the formation at 2-0 still only 2 in midfield, even though at times, Petrov was outnumbered 5 to 1?

So many unanswered questions, the answer to all of them is "because MON hasn't got a clue when it comes to tactics".

Why did he change from the winning formula of Liverpool to the disastrous tactics of Wigan?

And to anyone who says "well he still won the game" - he didn't. The aim of the game tonight was to win by 2 clear goal. It was 2-1, therefore its a loss and nothing more. To those that say it'll give the players less games to play so they'll be better in the league I ask - what's the point of doing well in the League and getting European football if you lose it at the first hurdle?

I expect a slew of "we weren't good enough" "must try harder" "need to get some more quality in" rubbish from MON. The only answer to tonights performance is a run of victories in the league, everything else is just hot air.