EL: Rapid Vienna h 2009/08/27 Ratings & Reactions

mwj

but blaming Heskey is not right...he made a decent contribution.

Thought Beye and Shorey both played well & Cuellar was a beast.

How can Beye, Shorey & Cuellar have been good, yet we conceded :?

Because mate, that's football. There was another team on the pitch.

Individually it's hard to find fault with any of them. but yet again it's those lapses in communication that let them down.

Maybe Dunne will be ideal after all.

Villa got out of the game what they deserved...

Nothing...

Rapid Vienna played very well and had a hat full of chances that could have led to a far more comprehensive aggregate win.

Good luck to them and their outstanding fans in the rest of the competition...

As for Villa..

Well, anyone that watched the game can see where the cracks are and MON now has 4 days before the window shuts, to sort them cracks out...

I thought we looked good but we seemed to turn off and let go of our pressure. Anyway, I believe we can take positives from this game and move forward, I still don't think 4-4-2 will do any good against Fulham on Sunday I hope he changes it back to 4-5-1 again.

Upto 15 less games to play with our smaller squad, we can focus fully on the league and the FA & League cups. We have a much better chance of a top four finish now (however unlikely) than we did with Europa football.

sorry but we are not going to be challenging for cl this year. if we cant get past rapid vienna who seriously are nothing special what chance do we have of over-throwing one of the top four.

we are going to put all our hard effort in to qualify again for europa and we cant even get to group stage. very poor indeed.

motm was cuellar he was terrfic. heskey should never start again for us unless we have a serious injury list. i think even harewood is better than him. at least he actually has a pop and scored a few goals heskey just does nothing but fall over all the time. i wish we never signed him.

Absolutely Spot On!

It's something like 5 wins in 25 games since Heskey joined. Funny thing is he looks ok playing for England but not for us? I've lost patience with O'Neill now - why put Gabby and NRC on the bench? Why wait until now to start signing defenders.

NO CHANCE AT ALL OF A CL SPOT FOR US!!! (we wouldn't get through the qualifiers anyway).

Liverpool result was a false dawn - we did well but 9 times out of 10 would have come away with nothing. MON needs to put on quite a run of results if he wants us to believe the season has anything to offer

5 year plan my arse

Sorry, I can't believe people actually think this is a good thing, and that MON was good tonight. I though MON was **** appalling.

4-4-2 just doesn't work. Petrov and Delph had too much to do and couldn't give our defence enough protection, which ultimately led to them scoring. If we'd played 4-5-1, like against Liverpool, we would have had more possession, less running back and defending to do, and we would have eventually broken them down further with more chances.

I don't blame the players. I thought they put in good effort. The defence still looks shaky though, and Dunne isn't going to change that. And fair play to Rapid, they didn't come for the draw and kept the pressure on.

But I blame MON for going out of Europe. This is not a blessing in disguise. Our latest signing talks about ambition, and being in Europe as a big deal. And we go out in the first round we are in. Not acceptable. The players will not be happy afterwards, confidence will drop. Being in Europe is good because it tests our team further against better teams, and it gives us the boost because we are mixing it amongst the best.

After tonight, I don't think we'll do very well against Fulham. Especially if we play 4-4-2.

Glad to see some measured reactions on here tonight.

Gutted we are out but we played some decent stuff, but it was a shaky defensive performance at times. Delph lost his man for the goal, but they could have had a few more tbf. Hopefully Dunne will compement Carlos, who was immense tonight. As were Ash and Milner - two great players.

We lost it in the first leg. They just about deserved it I guess, they kept at us.

but blaming Heskey is not right...he made a decent contribution.

Thought Beye and Shorey both played well & Cuellar was a beast.

How can Beye, Shorey & Cuellar have been good, yet we conceded :?

Not blaming Heskey, but i don't think he made much of a decent contribution. A Striker is judged on goals & he didn't score.

well carew scored but was arguably one of our worst players tonight.

i thought heskey did some useful work myself but admitidley doesnt look like scoring. he should have buried his last touch before he was subbed.

i think we look like we can develop into a good side because as times there was some really nice football played but we are so fragile that the wheels come off very easily. hopefully dunne coming in will allow davies to get himself sorted properly and give us the stability the we desperately need.

Haven't cared about this comp since the Moscow debacle

Or after the Prague result when we started fielding what were so clearly understrength teams and we started treating the competition with contempt, contempt it perhaps deserves.

i agree that our defence was shit, but who's fault is that?

everytime something goes wrong, of course the finger will be pointed at MON, he's overall responsible.

Of course.

But it's not like it's news is it?

Want to have the same tired old argument over and over again? I mean we can do, but it's not very productive.

At least as individuals they're looking a hell of a lot better. Two new players to come into the squad, maybe Curt can go have his op now.

Difficult one, we played some good stuff tonight and there were some very good performances esp from Milner and Cuellar. However they had at least three excellent chances in addition to the goal they scored (Cuellar off the line and the two open goal misses) so I'm not convinced we defintely deserved to go through and remember this is against Rapid Vienna a team we really should be beating over two legs.

It worries me that when we're on top of teams we never seem to put them away, I guess we lack a killer instinct. Taking Heskey off at 2-0 and bringing another midfielder on seemed an obvious move, also when we play 4-4-2 Petrov is invariably dead on his feet in the last fifteen minutes.

I'm very unhappy at going out in this manner but the Thursday-Sunday run of games has been demonstrated to have a negative effect on domestic form so it may help in this regard.

I only hope that we take the league cup seriously now, a run of 13 years without a proper trophy is too long.

MON reached his peak last xmas. It was no fluke that he got us to 4th spot, but since then his tactics have been found out by other clubs and he has run out of ideas.

Why oh why play hesky today? Why start Carew when he is not match fit? why not take petrov off who looked like he was struggling and sluggish?

Im pissed off with MON, i dont think him going is the answer but something needs to change fast

Carew and Heskey should never play up front together, we need another striker!

Carew done great the main reason why we lost tonight was Delph unable to keep up with his man letting him go and him creating the goal that sent us out.

And as for Heskey where was he for 81 minutes ? Im not suprised hardly any Villa fans want him here as i dont either.

Carlos Cuellar for me was MOTM kept the defence together and basically making up for the mistakes others made.

When we went 2 - 0 up we just sat back and let them come at us yet their creativity by far exceeds ours and we pad the price.

Worrys me with Delph as he's so inexperienced which does show yet MON is willing to put him into big games which seems to come at a cost.

And suprise tonight we went back to our old ways in 4 - 4 - 2 yet the 4 - 5 - 1 worked against Liverpool.

Poor Reo must be thinking my god what does it take to keep a place in the squad.

Again dropped for Delph :lol:

Really pissed off tonight and yeah peopl ehave the right to question MON's decisions.

MOn says some of us think we can do a better job because we play football manager for 3 months. I know one thing Martin i wouldnt change a squad that beat Liverpool 3 - 1

Ina ll fairness to Rapid its a fair result as they could of buried it easy in the end but failed to take chances.

Why are there two threads for this?

Either way very good performance, plenty of positives. But sometimes thats football for you, a real sucker punch from Vienna, let's hope this becomes a blessing in disguise for us in the league.