O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

I would imagine MON wanted to keep his match winners on. We were 2-0 down after all, there wasn't much to lose. Besides Milner was fine at right back, I appreciate most people are using todays game as an excuse just to air their longstanding grudges but you don't have to be quite so obvious about it.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe having two attack minded players down one wing was something he thought could unlock things.

Was it the change that lost us the game? No. Did it cost us the game? Opinion.

I can see the logic in Milner at right back. He's a hard working player, but he has the quality to get the ball forward. So we have two players on the right who can start off attacks very effectively, doubling our chances of getting an accurate ball forward on that side.

The fatal flaw in the plan is that I haven't yet seen it work.

i just feel so disappointed and let down by the game today, it was clear wigan had the better of us after 15 mins, **** disaster. Delph dosnt look ready, we need big john but we defo underestimated wigan who were quite impressive, they'll hav no relegation worries this yr

Why do we have to put a right midfielder, one who played well for england in midweek, at right back?

Why are we in a position at the end of a game, yet again, where we are playing players out of position? Why do people on here think this is a good thing?

Im just saying I would have preffered to have kept players in there rightful positions. Most managers have signed enough players in each position to accomodate substituions. MON cant seem to make a sub without ending up with a woefully unbalanced side.

I just cant see the benefit of having James Milner at RB when we are chasing the game at home to Wigan. Sorry, I must be missing something.

The reason we move Milner to RB is to allow for more in attack. We still keep the 2 up top, we still keep the 4 in midfield, but then we also have an attacker at RB. Obviously he's not going to be as sound defensively, but when you;re 2-0 down it's not really as important.

It's easy to say we shouldn't be in that position, but every team goes 2-0 down, it happens.

Well as I am named after Andy Lochhead

I've seen us in Div 3 and Div 2

Its fair to say I,ve stuck through them through thick and thin

And I tell you what - Im not happy.

and I haven't been this unhappy since McNeill - I wasn't this unhappy under DOL - I just lost the heart under him.

This surely has to be an over reaction mate?

We finished 6th the other year, 6th again last season while being just 10 points off Champions League football. Yes, we've lost 1 game this season and that makes it worse than any point during the DOL era?

Madness!

Voted Stay

I think MON should be given the benefit of the doubt for at least 2 more seasons.

IMHO as a club we can choose 2 directions to go, the Everton way, or the Spurs way. We can either throw money hand over fist (if we have any?) at a new gaffer every season or stick with what we got, and let him evolve his team, accepting his shortcomings and riding out the blips (Everton had a nasty start to the season the other year, but stuck by Moyes)

I would go for the latter myself

Even so, it amazes me that he started Delph today. Look at the pre-season Jack Wiltshire has had and the class that he has shown, yet Wenger came out and said it would be stupid to throw him into the mix today.

FFS Martin, put your hands in your pockets you tight arse, and buy us some quality

What is wrong with putting milner at right back to bring a winger on when you are losing?

I think it would be better to take Ashley off after a bad performance and put Milner on the left side.

Agree. Would give him a kick up the arse he needs instead of being told he is 'world class'. A massive mistake with regards to Young IMO.

Read a RAWK poster after the Peace Cup match against Atlante:

Still, I think unless Martin O'Neill decides to put some faith in his young players and/or acquires more players, I think Villa will struggle to repeat last year's effort. This season could be a bit of a wake-up call, as their back four still looks shaky, although Guzan was quite good throughout this game. Judging by his lavish goal celebration, I also predict this is the year Ashley Young's ego inflates to the point that it perhaps becomes a detriment to Villa.

Judging by his lavish goal celebration, I also predict this is the year Ashley Young's ego inflates to the point that it perhaps becomes a detriment to Villa.

I think it happened as soon as those words were uttered.

Judging by his lavish goal celebration, I also predict this is the year Ashley Young's ego inflates to the point that it perhaps becomes a detriment to Villa.

That was the diving header goal weren't it? How did he celebrate it, I can't really remember.

I would imagine MON wanted to keep his match winners on. .

Where have they been since Feb. If lost please return to Villa Park asap. Sorry couldn't help myself:)

Anyway, reasons to go - few years now we have had to listen to MON say small squad, sell players before buy, buy average players so how long do we continue in to 4th 5th years, do we hope it will all turn arround.

Plus side, he has managed to get us 6th twice get Young play, some good transfers. Its a tough one for me but if MON was to go who would you have come in?????????/

I would imagine MON wanted to keep his match winners on. We were 2-0 down after all, there wasn't much to lose. Besides Milner was fine at right back, I appreciate most people are using todays game as an excuse just to air their longstanding grudges but you don't have to be quite so obvious about it.

What grudges? We were appauling today and have been since Feb. I can understand why some are getting a bit hacked off. I can't see where we go from here at the moment.

Didn't Everton flirt with 4th and then the next season finish 17th. I would give MON another season even if we were to finish 14th this year. It would be difficultto replace the backbone of our team in one transfer window. That was always going to be hard.

If this is a rebuilding season, that's OK with me

and I haven't been this unhappy since McNeill - I wasn't this unhappy under DOL - I just lost the heart under him.

We finished 6th the other year, 6th again last season while being just 10 points off Champions League football. Yes, we've lost 1 game this season and that makes it worse than any point during the DOL era?

Madness!

No it isnt - its logical and I have said it many times on here.

Its not because where we have finsihed, its not even about the results over the last 18 games.

It's coz after suffering over 25 yrs of Ellis and hearing a new owner and manager saying "We will put this club back to where we were in 1982" - and hearing the infamous "30m on a player" comment,

For the first time since Big Ron - I was like a child at the Villa again.

3 yrs on, and I've realised- it was just hype, it was just words, we ain't never gonna win the league anytime in the next 10 yrs.

I now have gone back to the way I felt under Ellis, which was

"I know we can't win the league, I'd just like a nice cup run"

and THAT depresses me !

And I'd like to know who is at fault, was I a fool to trust Randy and The Gen - or are they genuine and is it the manager who just isnt good enough.

And I tell you what , whether you like it or not, I hope it is MON's fault coz at least I'll have my dream back !

Its a tough one for me but if MON was to go who would you have come in?????????/

This is probably the most important thing of all. Even those who don't particularly like MON will admit he's at least amanager with a decent level of ability. To break the top 4 we are going to need a real top quality manager, but how will we do this? Top quality managers don't often find themselves unemployed and top quality managers are wanted by the very best clubs. Even Chelsea couldn't get Hiddink to stay. I don't want MON out personally, but even if I did, there's no one better out there at the moment.

I would imagine MON wanted to keep his match winners on. .

Where have they been since Feb. If lost please return to Villa Park asap. Sorry couldn't help myself:)

found

No it isnt - its logical and I have said it many times on here.

But what you stated isn't logical.

You say you now feel like you did under the HDE years which makes you feel disappointed. But DOL was also a manager in the HDE years, so how come you feel worse now than back then? The only difference is that we're actually cosistantly finishing in a high position now.

Madness!

And I tell you what , whether you like it or not, I

hope it is MON's fault coz at least I'll have my dream back !

Well is it Randy who puts Milner at RB ?

Was it Randy who sold Cahil - brought knight - then sold him ?

Was It Randy who signed Heskey ?

Randy may not be beyond reproach. But I think MON has let us all down, with the players he has and hasn't brought.

Â