535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd only sack if the manager loses the dressing room.

Soon as that happens, then the teams in trouble.

And a little part of me thinks that Moscow debacle went alot further than we initialy thought.

I think there are serious signs that the cracks are beginning to show, going back as you say, to Moscow.

Firstly, NRC must be absolutely livid that he absolutely cannot buy a game, and a 19 year old untried kid starts in the middle. Then Luke Young was unhappy last year at being played out of position for so long. Shorey spat his dummy, and I don't think Carew and O'Neill see eye to eye anyway. All of these things cn be swept under the carpet when results are going well, but when the poor form continues, I think the resentment starts to bubble over.

29% want MON to go?

1. Are you joking?

2. If you want him to go, who could possibly be a better man for the job who we can attract to VP?

I rate MON as one of the 3 best managers in England and I am proud that he is at our club...

I'd only sack if the manager loses the dressing room.

Soon as that happens, then the teams in trouble.

And a little part of me thinks that Moscow debacle went alot further than we initialy thought.

I think there are serious signs that the cracks are beginning to show, going back as you say, to Moscow.

Firstly, NRC must be absolutely livid that he absolutely cannot buy a game, and a 19 year old untried kid starts in the middle. Then Luke Young was unhappy last year at being played out of position for so long. Shorey spat his dummy, and I don't think Carew and O'Neill see eye to eye anyway. All of these things cn be swept under the carpet when results are going well, but when the poor form continues, I think the resentment starts to bubble over.

I agree with you on this, something about MONs body language, and the players body language today didnt sit right with me.

And Carew hasnt look bothered during pre-season.

But theres only so much MON can actualy do, after all he doesnt play on the pitch. Yes he is accountable to a degree, but if the players go out and dont try then thats their fault, not his. In my opinion no one in our team wants to take responsibilty when the shit hits the fan, and thats what we need the most.

think there are serious signs that the cracks are beginning to show, going back as you say, to Moscow.

I really respect the amont of posts that you have, but I still think that this post is way out.

29% want MON to go?

1. Are you joking?

2. If you want him to go, who could possibly be a better man for the job who we can attract to VP?

I rate MON as one of the 3 best managers in England and I am proud that he is at our club...

1. No

2. Are you telling me that there isn't a manager out there who couldn't put a better defence together than Cuellar, Davies and Shorey? Look at Martinez today. First proper day as a Premier League manager, in charge of a shit club like Wigan, who have lost Palacios, Valencia, Heskey, Cattermole and Zaki in recent months, and yet still got his team playing neat, organised football.

You might rate him as one of the best 3 managers in England, and you'd be wrong. Oh so very wrong.

think there are serious signs that the cracks are beginning to show, going back as you say, to Moscow.

I really respect the amont of posts that you have, but I still think that this post is way out.

How so? Would you imagine that NRC is happy at the moment? And Luke Young did say he wasn't best pleased to be playing left back last season, so that's indisputable as well.

if the dressing room is gone, then the manager should follow

doesnt matter who the manager is, or who the club is, once that line is crossed theres no going back

of course thats not to say the dressing room is gone

1. No

2. Are you telling me that there isn't a manager out there who couldn't put a better defence together than Cuellar, Davies and Shorey? Look at Martinez today. First proper day as a Premier League manager, in charge of a shit club like Wigan, who have lost Palacios, Valencia, Heskey, Cattermole and Zaki in recent months, and yet still got his team playing neat, organised football.

You might rate him as one of the best 3 managers in England, and you'd be wrong. Oh so very wrong.

So you would rather have an unproven manager like Martinez?

And, you would rather have a manager with one game of action under his belt than a manager with a fantastic track reccord?

Oh my am I glad you have nothing to do with our club and the business run there...

How so? Would you imagine that NRC is happy at the moment? And Luke Young did say he wasn't best pleased to be playing left back last season, so that's indisputable as well.

So people are automatic unhappy when they ndont play in theire favorite prosition? Now thats jus silly!

No, I wasn't actually suggesting Martinez, just pointing out that O'Neill isn't the be-all and end-all of football managers. John Gregory did as well at Villa as O'Neill has to date, and he came from the 3rd division. Look at Hodgson, I imagine most Fulham fans weren't bowled over when he was appointed, but he's done really well for them since he arrived. But just to avoid confusion, I'm not suggesting either Hodgson or Gregory for the job either. At the moment, I'd maybe suggest somebody like Bilic, but I'd imagine if the job ever does become available, there will be no shortage of candidates.

No, I wasn't actually suggesting Martinez, just pointing out that O'Neill isn't the be-all and end-all of football managers. John Gregory did as well at Villa as O'Neill has to date, and he came from the 3rd division. Look at Hodgson, I imagine most Fulham fans weren't bowled over when he was appointed, but he's done really well for them since he arrived. But just to avoid confusion, I'm not suggesting either Hodgson or Gregory for the job either. At the moment, I'd maybe suggest somebody like Bilic, but I'd imagine if the job ever does become available, there will be no shortage of candidates.

of course, but have all the managers not done so well came to your mind? You name to done quite well, I can name 2000 not done so well...

when speaking of any hypothetical replacement, people seem to forget that mon has build the foundation and a new manager wouldnt need to do that again. theyd just need to bring a different take to the table. you could arguably say that the REALLY hard work has been done, and now we just need fresh ideas from the manager (mon or otherwise)

the last time you did this i voted in favour of mon staying and i have voted likewise this time

however, whereas last time i thought it was a bit of a silly question and i was surprised that some of us weren't backing him, this time i'm not surprised at all and the question seems a little more legitimate

i can see why people are unhappy with him, i wouldn't say i'm one hundred percent, over the moon, batshit crazy delighted with him, but i'm willing to give him more time. if this season goes badly (by which i mean something like bottom half of the league and abject failure in the cups) then i think it would be time for new management

but if we do okay and there still seems to be some promise with mon then i would hope that he stays. i think he has generally done well thus far and can do better, i hope he gets the chance to do better and obviously i hope he takes that chance

when speaking of any hypothetical replacement, people seem to forget that mon has build the foundation and a new manager wouldnt need to do that again. theyd just need to bring a different take to the table. you could arguably say that the REALLY hard work has been done, and now we just need fresh ideas from the manager (mon or otherwise)

What foundation? The defence is far worse than the day O'Neill arrived. There's hard work to be done because O'Neill has made such an arse of it.

He inherited Delaney, Mellberg, Laursen, Ridgewell, Cahill, Samuel and Bouma.

Today we had Beye, Cuellar, Davies and Shorey.

Delaney > Beye

Mellberg > Cuellar

Laursen > Davies

Samuel > Shorey

Cahill > Davies

even Ridgewell > Davies

The only defender that O'Neill has bought that has given any value is Luke Young.

What foundation? The defence is far worse than the day O'Neill arrived. There's hard work to be done because O'Neill has made such an arse of it.

He inherited Delaney, Mellberg, Laursen, Ridgewell, Cahill, Samuel and Bouma.

Today we had Beye, Cuellar, Davies and Shorey.

Delaney > Beye

Mellberg > Cuellar

Laursen > Davies

Samuel > Shorey

Cahill > Davies

even Ridgewell > Davies

The only defender that O'Neill has bought that has given any value is Luke Young.

im not for one second suggesting that the defence isnt a mess, but while im far from mons biggest fan you have to accept that we have some excellent players at the club. ones who could no doubt play some really great football if the system was right. thats what i mean by foundation. its not a "tear it all down and start again" scenario

It seems that a stay of execution is the best bet then.

I agree with the comment that said that Moscow has caused deeper problems than we'd first thought. Accordingly, I don't think MON has a long term future with the football club as I am not sure he still has the support of all of his players. Furthermore, if he even thinks of attempting to sell Carew there will be anarchy in B6, the crowd response today clearly demonstrates that (even if he was 'injured').

But I'd LOVE IT if he proved us all wrong. I just doubt that he will. And so I'd like to see him replaced if he cannot cut the mustard, because as he said, it's a results business.

Â