The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I haven’t listened to that album for probably 19 years :D 

Are you going to be my girl ?  still gets a fair bit of play / covers by pub bands when I’m out and about , but yeah the rest of it is has probably  not been heard  by anyone  :)

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Are you going to be my girl ?  still gets a fair bit of play / covers by pub bands when I’m out and about , but yeah the rest of it is has probably  not been heard  by anyone  :)

To this day used in a plethora of commercials/ads here. Toyota especially has used the hell out of it

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Well it’s nowhere near as bad as the band I’ve just seen a poster for…

Shalamar… f***s sake who the hell is interested in seeing Shalamar. They were shit even at their peak, they weren’t even disco nor were they soul. The sort of music that no drugs were involved in the making of.

Just now, bickster said:

Shalamar… f***s sake who the hell is interested in seeing Shalamar. They were shit even at their peak, they weren’t even disco nor were they soul. The sort of music that no drugs were involved in the making of.

I went to school with someone who knew their management so we used to get all their records for free 

I still overpaid for them :) 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

They’ve been residing in the “where are they now?” file for decades

16 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

They’ve been residing in the “where are they now?” file for decades

They should have been residing in bin

• Haha 1

Still at Bearded Theory, yesterday I saw Hot Wax (ok), Pip Blom (average), Bis (pretty good), Panic Shack (excellent), Bob Vylan (stunning), Dexys (exceptional) and Future Islands (dog shit)

Dexys set wasnt crowd pleasing but it was Peter pleasing, they ended with the full version this is what shes like. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Still at Bearded Theory, yesterday I saw Hot Wax (ok), Pip Blom (average), Bis (pretty good), Panic Shack (excellent), Bob Vylan (stunning), Dexys (exceptional) and Future Islands (dog shit)

Dexys set wasnt crowd pleasing but it was Peter pleasing, they ended with the full version this is what shes like. 

Wow, what a tune to end on!

• Like 1

big shout out to the slam dunk festival organisers remediating the issues they had last year. brilliantly organised festival helped by the weather of course

thoughts with those attending the leeds one today in a thunderstorm

• Like 1

Ahead of festival season this year, I've treated myself to some ACS custom mould earplugs, they just got here a couple of days ago, and I'm blown away by the sound clarity compared to generic Loop earplugs, etc. I expected them to be better, but they're incredible, and after a few minutes I hardly notice they're in.

• Like 1

Saturday at Bearded Theory could be best called middling. Goat Girl (poor) Prima Queen (good), Pet Needs (reminded me visually of Million Dead, therefore good), Punk Rock Factory (competent but a cover band should not be that high on a bill). Jim Bob, ( ropey but good to hear cart tunes), Wargasm (dog shit), Sleaford Mods. **** my hat. The worst band I have ever seen in my life. I saw them a few years back and they got worse. Are they a bet? Janes Addiction ( pretty good)

On 27/05/2018 at 07:49, Seat68 said:

Sleaford Mods last night at Bearded Theory. New contenders for the worst band I have ever seen. 

I am consistent 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hay Festival today. A good day out. Scenery, good coffee, good beer, a decent walk about and a few good chats with random strangers.

Happily, we ignored the weather forecast which predicted a full day of biblical rain.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Punk Rock Factory (competent but a cover band should not be that high on a bill).

I enjoy Punk Rock Factory as  novelty, and I'll go and see them at a local club, but I agree.

At Download, Elvana have been there for 3 of the last 6 years, but this time, they're on second stage. I'd have no beef if they were a novelty band on after hours, but a **** tribute/parody act on the second stage at a serious music festival is a **** joke.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And I **** hate the Sleaford Mods :D

I used to work out at a gym in West Bridgford, Nottingham that Jason Williamson worked out at. Our workouts aligned and I spent most Mondays and Wednesday lunchtimes spotting and being spotted by him, and I think he appreciated I didn't recognise him or talk to him about the band, but in reality I just think they're **** shit.

He's a lovely bloke though, and has a solid bench 100kg press. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ahead of festival season this year, I've treated myself to some ACS custom mould earplugs, they just got here a couple of days ago, and I'm blown away by the sound clarity compared to generic Loop earplugs, etc. I expected them to be better, but they're incredible, and after a few minutes I hardly notice they're in.

I think the earplugs game is the Emperors new clothes right now. DJed for 20 years, completely understand the importance of ear protection, but I also feel like there's a lot of charlatans out there in the 'inner ear' scene atm. Protect your ears, yes, protect your wallet too.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

I think the earplugs game is the Emperors new clothes right now. DJed for 20 years, completely understand the importance of ear protection, but I also feel like there's a lot of charlatans out there in the 'inner ear' scene atm. Protect your ears, yes, protect your wallet too.

Have you had bad experiences?

I'm just a punter, but I go to an awful lot of heavy gigs, and that shit is loud. I tried the cheapo foam earplugs, and they block a lot of sound and protect your hearing, but the music is muddied, you lose the whole performance. They cost about 50p per gig, but they ruined it and I often removed them after the opener. Then I stepped up to more midrange ones, long lasting, 40 quid a set, I tried 2-3 brands, and every single one of them were better for sound than the foam ones, but still a bit muddy, and uncomfortable as ****, often fell out, just a really shit experience.

These ones cost £120 to have them moulded to my ear canal, don't fall out when I headbang, subdue but don't muddy the sound, and are incredibly comfortable. I'll put them through their paces at Download and Bloodstock, but they claim they're fit for 3-5 years, if that's true, even at the lower end they'll be worth it. 

I need to properly test them, but at this point my advice would be that if the 50p range don't work for you, skip the 40 quid midrange and jump right to customs, they fit better, they work better, and they last longer.

Edited by Davkaus

Â