The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

How much did you pay for Who tickets? I heard they were exorbitant.

My favourite band of all time, but I've seen them three times (twice with the original lineup, including the original Quadrophenia tour), so I'm not too fussed.

£65 + £5 booking fee (grrrr)   ... about the same as Mrsh29 is paying to see Bon Jovi ( :huh: ) at Hyde Park the following week

never seen them live  before so quite looking forward to it , got 6 of us going up hence the weekend stay :)

I'm told Bon Jovi is currently half price with a 'Groupon' deal.

I don't even know what that means, but that's what I'm told.

ok the Earth tickets bought

so far for June / July that's Mountain of Love, Earth, Alabama3 and the Proms

no wonder I've got no bloody money

Didn't even realise Earth were touring! Where are they playing, Chris?  Saw them at a festival a year or so back, and they were excellent. Mostly played the more mellow stuff, rather than the doom that they used to play. Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II was one of my albums of the year, last year.

Went to see Mudnhoney last night, but ended up not seeing any of their set, as I went home with bad guts! Absolutely gutted! That said, I did get to see the Meat Puppets, who were supporting them. They were bloody awesome! The band that were on before them, Metz, on the other hand, were terrible. If they were called the Shitty Beatles, it wouldn't just be a clever name.

I think we're talking different bands here.

'The Earth' are a new band having their first gig to launch their first album. They are a sort of Welsh Swpergrwp, being the drummer from Super Furries, guitar from Catatonia and vocals from The Peth.

There's a link to a download in the new music thread.

ok the Earth tickets bought

so far for June / July that's Mountain of Love, Earth, Alabama3 and the Proms

no wonder I've got no bloody money

Didn't even realise Earth were touring! Where are they playing, Chris?  Saw them at a festival a year or so back, and they were excellent. Mostly played the more mellow stuff, rather than the doom that they used to play. Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II was one of my albums of the year, last year.

Went to see Mudnhoney last night, but ended up not seeing any of their set, as I went home with bad guts! Absolutely gutted! That said, I did get to see the Meat Puppets, who were supporting them. They were bloody awesome! The band that were on before them, Metz, on the other hand, were terrible. If they were called the Shitty Beatles, it wouldn't just be a clever name.

I think we're talking different bands here.

'The Earth' are a new band having their first gig to launch their first album. They are a sort of Welsh Swpergrwp, being the drummer from Super Furries, guitar from Catatonia and vocals from The Peth.

There's a link to a download in the new music thread.

Ah right, fair dos. No wonder I couldn't find any dates for them on line! 

Saw Jack and The Real Deals last night, a rockabilly band from lincolnshire played a small club in Stafford, they were excellent, great selection of songs, very very good. Next up for me I think is the Western Star weekend in Bristol, a day of rockabilly, then a day of psychobilly. 

Just back from the second of three gigs in six days. Half Man Half Biscuit in Stockton, Great gig, really enjoyed it. 

On to Neil Young on Monday for the hat-trick. 

• Like 1

Stone Roses tonight! :)

Just got back - better than Heaton Park in my opinion. 

Loved Mani's comment at the end - "it's always great to come to this part of North London, sign your best players and leave with 3 points"

Loved Mani's comment at the end - "it's always great to come to this part of North London, sign your best players and leave with 3 points"

It was better than the Sunday night at Heaton for me, but I don't anything will top the Friday night though for me. Was **** brilliant! 

It was better than the Sunday night at Heaton for me, but I don't anything will top the Friday night though for me. Was **** brilliant! 

Can't comment on the friday night at Heaton as we were only there on sunday. It was a pity there was a 10:30 curfew last night as they could've played at least a couple more tracks.

If anyone is interested ,one of my mates has had to drop out of The Who concert at The LG Arena Birmingham on the Fri 28th June due to family reasons  ( he's said he will pay for his ticket but to be honest as his MIL is going in to have her bowel removed and also a leg amputated I'm not really inclined to hound him for the money )

so , I'm trying to get back as much of the price as the ticket back for him as I can , if anyone is interested make me an offer around the Face Value £60  ... I'll even throw in a beer before the show

PM me if interested

• 3 weeks later...

Def Leppard yesterday. Better than expected actually. Ending the show with "Wasted" was a personal highlight.

Mustasch predictably stole the show

I went to Hard Rock Calling at the Olympic Park on Sunday, it was a good day out.  Bruce Springsteen was headlining which wasn't really to my taste but you can't deny he gives you value for money as he went on for 3 hours.  I think I'd have preferred the Saturday line-up but I was working that day.

know quite a few people who were at Isle of Wight and said Stone roses were dreadful  .... maybe you are either a fan or your aren't  with a band like them ...

Ian Brown was on the 2am ferry that night they played as my mate got a photo .. Brown was chatting away with fans quite happily

The Who were really good .. was a strange sort of concert as they played the whole Quadrophenia soundtrack and I'd say 99% of the people present were not exactly familiar with it ... but it gave you a chance to sit and listen to the music and appreciate it for what it was .... they blended in actual live footage of Moon and Entwistle  at times ... could have been naff , but it was surprisingly well done

Then part 2 was the familiar stuff and lots of jumping around and singing along  ... Daltry unlike McCartney can still sing , Townsend can still play a bit through interesting his brother Simon played a lot of the lead guitar stuff so maybe his age is catching up with him :)

Edited by tonyh29

v9ihh.jpg

The Earth

first gig last night, loud scuzzy and wonderful

two support bands were also really rather good, Candellas (I think that's what they were called), and the Keys

Edited by chrisp65

Well, that Garforth festival. 

Lau - OK, pleasant enough on a sunny day (although you feel they should be heard in Scottish drizzle)

Ruby Turner (odd choice for a folk-dominated lineup) - good (although you feel she should be heard in a smokey nightclub)

Kate Rusby - excellent (although you feel she should be heard in a pub folk club) 

Bellowhead - Holy Mother of McGrath, what an amazing band! Never seen them before, and now I realise that the albums don't come within a million miles of the live act.

Imagine what Madness would be like if they had grown up with English folksongs instead of ska.

Imagine Kurt Weill and Jacques Brel getting drunk with Cecil Sharp in a speakeasy.

Imagine The Pogues trying to break up a fight between the Memphis Horns and the Black Dyke Mills Band. 

Imagine the E Street Band fronted by Rik Mayall. 

Throw in a soupcon of The Flaming Lips, The Mothers of Invention and The Bonzo Dog Band. 

Give them a set of traditional folk songs (but only the ones about sex and drinking). 

Light the blue touchpaper and prepare to be amazed. 

The IDEAL band to close a festival. 

10/10 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

v9ihh.jpg

The Earth

first gig last night, loud scuzzy and wonderful

two support bands were also really rather good, Candellas (I think that's what they were called), and the Keys

This post has changed significantly recently.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNO49nh8hbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6Nj5Orl1w

Yeah, I'm not even sure what it was I was trying to say in some drunken pidgin language. I think I'd got carried away that I'd been able to survive a night with a group of people talking funny.

Not that you can assign 'value' to ticket price, but last night was £6 and they put on three bands, any one of which could have been the headliner they really were all excellent and I will try and follow them for other gigs. I can now confirm that the first band on were called Candellas, I've found their CD out the kitchen! I'm quite impressed it found it's way home.

alabama 3 acoustic set tonight

support band Johnny Cage and the Hopeless Sinners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHvyKsduiFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awh6jDHpmrI

best gig anywhere ever

Â