The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

All booked up for Ghost / Gojira / The Defiled / Hawk Eyes at the o2 on 23rd.

Should be fantastic.

Looking forward to this one too, never tire of seeing France's finest export.

Barfly 2009 is still one of my all time favourite gigs, standing at the front being assaulted by "Oroborus", like being hit with a baseball bat, or perhaps more appropriately, a stale baguette!

y4lxw.jpg

Brother Culture (bit of guest vocals for his buddies)

gig was Mountain of love and Venue was The Windmill Pub, Brixton, as mentioned above

fwiw, the appearance of the venue is nasty, we're talking 2 blocks down from Brixton Prison, a 1970's housing estate with a 1970's pub attached. There are dogs on the roof to encourage people to only enter the building legitimately.

So, being a trusting soul that believes you receive what love you give, I street parked the big black Merc and gave it a go. Tiny venue, low ceiling, view of the stage limited to about 40 or 50 people with the rest sort of straggling back to the bar with obscured sight lines.

If you like a venue where the ceiling drips sweat, this is for you.

Saying all that, it was a really really relaxed friendly vibe and one of those truly mixed crowds.If you bumped somebody, you got a friendly squeeze of the arm or a smile, not attitude and testosterone. Clearly some locals from the estate, old, young, white, black, trendy, me, all sorts. All there for a bit of a dance. Lovely, I shall return!

Edited by chrisp65

• 2 weeks later...

Saw My Bloody Valentine in Manchester last night. They were excellent, but not as loud and full on as I'd have hoped (The Holocaust Section of You Made Me Realise aside). Quite disappointed with the crowd, as the atmosphere was a bit flat. Got to say Bilinda Butcher is still looking fine at the age of 51 as well!    

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at the Manchester Ritz last night. The most perfect and complete rock show I've ever seen. The lighting was remarkable, a spectacle but still and integral part of the show. And it really showed why some music has to be loud to really work, not just because its fashionable to play loud.

All booked up for Ghost / Gojira / The Defiled / Hawk Eyes at the o2 on 23rd.

Should be fantastic.

And it was indeed fantastic. Pity Hawk Eyes couldn't make it due to the weather, but the other 3 bands certainly made up for it.

Awesome night of music.

Saw the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at the Manchester Ritz last night. The most perfect and complete rock show I've ever seen. The lighting was remarkable, a spectacle but still and integral part of the show. And it really showed why some music has to be loud to really work, not just because its fashionable to play loud.

I would love to see BRMC live, always been a fan of them

did they do any of their acoustic stuff or was it all electric?

I've got a copy of them live at the astoria (I think) they got the fans to vote on their website for the setlisting **** brilliant it is

Seen them live about 5 or 6 times. Remember seeing BRMC for the first time at a Leeds festival, when they played one of the tents, and being blown away. Really dark, moody and brooding, balls out rock & roll.

I would love to see BRMC live, always been a fan of them

did they do any of their acoustic stuff or was it all electric?

I've got a copy of them live at the astoria (I think) they got the fans to vote on their website for the setlisting **** brilliant it is

Yeah, they played some quiet numbers too, some with just Hayes on his own. Some fools in the audience used this as a chance to have a gas about how good the loud bits were, but the acoustic was just as big a part of the set as the rest.

I've been to the Ritz a few times, and unless they've done it out since it's become the HMV ritz, it never stuck me as that good a venue, as it was a sort of dance floor type place just used for gigs, rather than a gig venue, if that makes sense. Has it been done out, SG?

oh yeah I forgot to mention I am going to see steve earle at the symphony hall May 8th

this'll be the second time I have seen him, cant wait

Saw him years ago at wolves civic (copperhead road era) he was outstanding.

I've been to the Ritz a few times, and unless they've done it out since it's become the HMV ritz, it never stuck me as that good a venue, as it was a sort of dance floor type place just used for gigs, rather than a gig venue, if that makes sense. Has it been done out, SG?

It was closed for a while for renovation although its not all that different. For me it does everything a venue should. Its the right size - about 1000 I think, a good size bar, stage high enough to see the show, a bit dingy and grubby the way a rock show ought to be. The size of the hall means that bands can get right up to full rock volume - unlike the bloody arena where even motorhead's gear lacked punch.

I saw Sunn0))) at the Ritz. They put speakers around the balcony and marketed it as being a 'quadrophonic aural sound assault' or something equally ridiculous. But it was really **** loud, which was tremendous! They also played my favourite song if theirs, I forget what it's called, but it goes BMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMmmmmmmm RWWWOOOAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, etc

I saw Sunn0))) at the Ritz. They put speakers around the balcony and marketed it as being a 'quadrophonic aural sound assault' or something equally ridiculous. But it was really **** loud, which was tremendous! They also played my favourite song if theirs, I forget what it's called, but it goes BMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMmmmmmmm RWWWOOOAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, etc

Aye, that's a good one. My personal favourite it the one that starts WEEEEEEDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWEEEEEEEEDRRRRRRRRRRRRRWEEEEEEEEEEE

• 2 weeks later...

Love/Hate, tonight at the Slade Rooms.

Will be off early for grub and cider first, and coinciding with the rest of the week off work :cheers:

Â