The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Mountain of Love are playing The Windmill, Brixton

2nd March

slight dilemma, already paid in full for a bus trip to Flint (Welsh Cup Q Final clash of the titans)

trying to work out if its possible to do both if I drive....

really really want to see MoL, love a Brixton gig, love a bit of Welsh Cup footy, love an old school boys on tour bus epic

Oh and back On Topic, I went to see High on Fire at the o2 last Friday and they were pretty damned awesome.

I've been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs down the years but these guys were by far the loudest band i've ever heard. Ear-bleedingly good.

I was there too! On record find them to lose it a bit, sleep was much better, but love they are bloody great!

Not too much giggles this month but got cancer bats and kvelertak in brum next month which will be good for just some fun ahows. Then making a trip to Sheffield to see enslaved who are just sublime prog black metal, described as a black metal pink floyd for those that don't know but amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

You know that story about having the same broom for 30 years, it's had 4 new handles and 6 new heads?

Dr Feelgood gig tomorrow, and I'll be home for it, so yay!

I think Dr F were just about the first gig I went to, certainly the very first one I went to on my own. Over 30 years of gig going.

You know that story about having the same broom for 30 years, it's had 4 new handles and 6 new heads?

I think Dr F were just about the first gig I went to, certainly the very first one I went to on my own. Over 30 years of gig going.

NO original members? Harumph. Even Fairport Convention have one (Simon Nichol). 

I'm just glad I saw the Mk 1 Feelgoods. 

Wilko is doing his "death" tour, could go to that...  :(

yeah, at what point does it become a tribute band?

By strange coincidence I'd bought a new copy of Down by the Jetty earlier this week. The original stuff, then all again in stereo, then some extra tracks then some live stuff. I must have had some sort of premonition as i hadn't known this gig was up.

I'm home tomorrow night, i have a pass, and the gig is close by and £12, so for old times sake, curiosity and the chance to hear the stabbing glory that is 'Roxette' I will give it a go. But to what extent do I want to hear somebody imitate Wilko? Hmm, it's a close one.

just checked up on wiki and it was Dr feelgood mk 2 line up the first time I saw them 

long winded anecdote alert.....

Loved the sound of Dr F and tried to get some gig buddies to come along, they were all a bit more mod clothing fans than actual music fans so nobody wanted to come. So I went along on my own.

I arrived seriously suited and booted, a prince of wales dog tooth check whistle bought and tailored off Carnaby Street (Lord John's I think), shiny shoes, spotty shirt, paisley tie. I looked like Bradder Wiggins on uppers.

Got to the gig, lady at the kiosk asks if I'm sure I want to go in. Odd, I thought, but paid the money and went in.

**** me, dress code was ginger beard, denim over leather, heavy biker chique. I'm in trouble here. Support band comes on, i skirt around the shadowy perimeter. Lee B God bless him, walks square up to me during the support act, shakes my hand and says enjoy the show. Lots saw this, I'm absolutely ****' made up. The Face.

Pumped up, I get myself front and middle by the time Feelgood are on the stage and give a good dancing account of myself. To be fair the hairies just leave me to it, they've either decided I'm a harmless fool Rodney Trotter lookalike, or a psycho not to be messed with. So, I'm eyes closed, head upward, air guitar dancing and loving it. After a while I feel there's space around me, it's noticeable that I'm no longer being jostled. I open my eyes and the crowd has stepped away from me, are in a sort of semi circle around me and looking at me. Bewildered I look around, I scan right, then I scan left. To my left, down off the stage and imitating my superb swaying style is the lead guitar (Mayo?). **** me, he's seen me off my tits and loving the world, he's got off the stage and is playing right next to me. The sound is still coming off the stage so I hadn't spotted it.

So, what do I do? Do I A: put my arm around him and soak up the adulation, or B: jump out of my skin and do a sort of surprised reverse causing a few hundred bikers to piss themselves laughing?

B

• Like 1

Deftones were awesome at the O2 on Tuesday.

Gojira at the O2 March 23rd and Minus The Bear on the 26th of April.

Plus hopefully my son's band will be supporting We Are The Ocean at Chester SU next month, fingers crossed.

I was considering going to see Minus the Bear, but decided against it in the end. I haven't listened to their last, what, 3 albums? And I couldn't possibly expect them to play much stuff from the first 2. Love that first album though. Plus, I have seen them before, playing that material, so yeh. I'd probably just keep wishing the guitarist would play that Saint Matthew Returns to the Womb by Botch riff and be disappointed when he didn't anyways...

• Like 1

I was considering going to see Minus the Bear, but decided against it in the end. I haven't listened to their last, what, 3 albums? And I couldn't possibly expect them to play much stuff from the first 2. Love that first album though. Plus, I have seen them before, playing that material, so yeh. I'd probably just keep wishing the guitarist would play that Saint Matthew Returns to the Womb by Botch riff and be disappointed when he didn't anyways...

I've only been into them for a couple of years, discovered them via my lad, glad I did. How can such a quality band slip under ones radar?

Well apart from the fact that the only mainstream rock station ignores them, I suppose.

Deftones were awesome at the O2 on Tuesday.

Gojira at the O2 March 23rd and Minus The Bear on the 26th of April.

Plus hopefully my son's band will be supporting We Are The Ocean at Chester SU next month, fingers crossed.

The Gojira gig is the one with Hawk Eyes supporting isn't it? I think I might be going to that.

Hawk Eyes are great, though I haven't been to see them since they switched up to a four piece and got Steve Wilson (This Et Al/Dinosaur Pile-Up/Japanese Voyeurs) in on drums.  I remember seeing them in their full-on screamy sludge metal guise (back when they were Chickenhawk) in a grubby tent in the middle of Hyde Park in Leeds.  Great entertainment, though sadly I don't think they sing/shout lyrics through a comedy megaphone anymore.

Â