The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Went to see a band called Elvana last week in the limelight in Belfast.

They are a Nirvana/ Elvis tribute act playing Elvis songs in the style of Nirvana, Nirvana songs in the style of Elvis, medleys of both artists songs and everything in between ("R**e me Tender" being a particular highlight)

Musically actually really good, really charismatic frontman prowling around in the crowd half the time, loud and got the crowd bouncing

Absolute fever dream of an experience but would highly recommend it if you ever get the chance 🤣

17 hours ago, Seat68 said:

40 years tour, will be mainly hits. 

A quick check and it's mainly the material up to William Bloke with a smattering of post William Bloke through the set.

As an aside to this, I saw the 40 Year Anniversary Vinyl Greatest Hits triple album in HMV the other week then nearly collapsed at the price

Even on his website it's selling at 50 quid. £50 for an album that has zero recording costs and the vast majority of tracks are on all the other greatest hits albums he's bunged out over time

The capitalist bastard :D 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Yes at 10am - take it you’ll be going? 

I’m a bit torn to be honest. It’s £22 and that’s on the outer limits of my gig budget, I think my last 3 gigs at the Welsh Club have come to a total of £22.

It would be interesting to hear it live, Cian is quite an aggressive character when he’s fronting and does some interesting stuff. Saw him at the Howard Marks benefit gig and I think a lot of the crowd couldn’t tell if this was the performance or he was having a breakdown. Saw him just doodle around with some experimental stuff once, just about a dozen of us in a small town hall. He did an hour of knob twiddling and then as an intermission he gathered up financial contributions from the ‘audience’ and went over the road to buy a load of booze for us to share! 

Probably tell myself I’m not going, then 10:05 tomorrow I’ll see if there’s any left, that’s my usual style.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

As an aside to this, I saw the 40 Year Anniversary Vinyl Greatest Hits triple album in HMV the other week then nearly collapsed at the price

Even on his website it's selling at 50 quid. £50 for an album that has zero recording costs and the vast majority of tracks are on all the other greatest hits albums he's bunged out over time

The capitalist bastard :D 

"Pay no more than" has gone then. 

• Like 1

Saw Bill Frisell last night. He was really good.

My companion said the first 15 minutes were boring.

That was fine, it was a sitting gig and I was asleep.

So was bloke on my left who we didn't know, both sleepers woke at the same time when the gig got going.

He threw in some Barry and Bacharach at the end. A different trio to this, but you get the idea...

hmmm, last 3 gigs I’ve gone to at this one venue have been £10, £6, and £6

Same venue and Das Koolies are playing there, now I get that they are a bigger band, hence the ticket ‘price’ being £20

except £20 then has in unexplained brackets that its £22, ok I’ve seen that it’s probably some sort of rip off booking fee, except it isn’t, because that’s another £1.65 for an e-ticket, so now its £23.65 except of course if you’re paying by credit card whereby for no obvious reason it recalculates another £1.50 and becomes £25.15

**** that, I won’t bother, I’m not paying an extra 25% in spurious unexplained surcharges for a gig in a place where I last paid £6

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

hmmm, last 3 gigs I’ve gone to at this one venue have been £10, £6, and £6

Same venue and Das Koolies are playing there, now I get that they are a bigger band, hence the ticket ‘price’ being £20

except £20 then has in unexplained brackets that its £22, ok I’ve seen that it’s probably some sort of rip off booking fee, except it isn’t, because that’s another £1.65 for an e-ticket, so now its £23.65 except of course if you’re paying by credit card whereby for no obvious reason it recalculates another £1.50 and becomes £25.15

**** that, I won’t bother, I’m not paying an extra 25% in spurious unexplained surcharges for a gig in a place where I last paid £6

I agree with the disgruntlement for additional charges especially for an e-ticket... they do take the piss somewhat.

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

That would be illegal surely?

I’ve never seen it before, its not through the usual club site its through the band.

That’s a point actually, I wonder if I can do it via the club?…

update! I now have a ticket, at ticket price.

Frazzled in work earlier and literally as I was knocking out that response it occurred to me I wasn’t on the usual website, so some little shit was creaming off middle man admin fees for no clear reason.

Happy now.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve never seen it before, its not through the usual club site its through the band.

That’s a point actually, I wonder if I can do it via the club?…

I’ve just looked at their tickets via Ents24 and there’s a mandatory £2 additional e-ticket fee and an optional £1.65 ticket protection fee.

Still some cheek charging for an e-ticket… especially as most venues just ask for your name and maybe a postcode without even seeing the ticket! 

edit - it’s £20 + £2 direct from Clwb Ifor Bach too.

Edited by theboyangel

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

I’ve just looked at their tickets via Ents24 and there’s a mandatory £2 additional e-ticket fee and an optional £1.65 ticket protection fee.

Still some cheek charging for an e-ticket… especially as most venues just ask for your name and maybe a postcode without even seeing the ticket! 

Yep, just went direct via the club and shook off a couple of quid.

It’ll still be my most expensive post covid gig by some distance! So I presume there will be a free bar and fireworks finale.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Lorna Shore

Billy Bragg

Of Mice and Men

Amity Affliction.

One of those is not like the others :D 

I once saw a bloke wearing a T-shirt which had on it “Billy Bragg is a clearing in the woods 

7 hours ago, bickster said:

@theboyangel did you have tickets for The Brian Jonestown Masacre?

Ah good old Anton Newcombe - the man certainly knows how to push the self destruct button! 

Very talented and prolific songwriter but is a complete train wreck on and off stage.

I’m convinced it’s because of his self destructive ways, they never won over the mainstream (because he always ruined it as they were on the cusp) but in the same breath, it’s probably what made TBJM a cult band that still tours worldwide and keep churning out records. 

Luckily when I saw them in Falmouth in January, he was only slightly surly towards the crowd and refused to finish their last song despite the house lights going on and the stage lights off! 

Fascinating man.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Lorna Shore

Billy Bragg

Of Mice and Men

Amity Affliction.

One of those is not like the others :D 

I’ve heard of Billy Bragg .. but that’s probably not the answer you had in mind :) 

• Like 1

Â