The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've mentioned the Adam Sandler thing a few times before on here, but the thing that annoys me most about him, even more than the fact that 99% of his movies are awful is the fact that he CAN actually act. Just watch him in Punch Drunk Love or Reign Over Me.

As for Owen Wilson. Watch him when he's being directed by Wes Anderson. It's like he's a completely different actor. Thought he was great in Midnight in Paris too.

Vince Vaughan? Good in Swingers, Thumbsucker or Into The Wild. Made an awful lot of garbage otherwise.

Jim Carrey is another one worth a mention. I've never been a fan of him when he does comedy but he's great in Eternal Sunshine, Man on the Moon, Truman Show etc.

Basically, I think he's wasted when he's trying to be funny.

The standout exception being Dumb & Dumber which is one of the greatest (or the greatest?) laugh out loud comedies evarrrrr. And I think Ace Ventura for its time was good. I've a lot of time for Carrey. The thing about comedy actors is that comedy, if you don't like it, gets instantly annoying whereas other things done badly can be ignored. Nothing irks quite so instantly like unfunny comedy does.

Steve martin in a simple twist of a crocodile's death grip

Now yer talking.

I've mentioned the Adam Sandler thing a few times before on here, but the thing that annoys me most about him, even more than the fact that 99% of his movies are awful is the fact that he CAN actually act. Just watch him in Punch Drunk Love or Reign Over Me.

As for Owen Wilson. Watch him when he's being directed by Wes Anderson. It's like he's a completely different actor. Thought he was great in Midnight in Paris too.

Vince Vaughan? Good in Swingers, Thumbsucker or Into The Wild. Made an awful lot of garbage otherwise.

Thats the Mark Kermode argument is't it.

Watched Die Hard 5 last night. It really is bad. No plot at all and so many holes in the story that border on ridiculous. The cut to rating 12's really hurt it to.

Die hard 1 and 2 for me are classics and 3 and 4 are still good. This was just a mess.

I could quite happily never see the following ever in work again. (The main list is obviously longer - this is for the specific sub-genre of "Not funny American comic actors in generic shit films")

Adam Sandler

Ben Stiller

Will Ferrell

Owen Wilson

Kevin James

Vince Vaughan

Come my revolution they will all be shot for crimes against humanity.

Wow, am I the only person who doesn't mind these guys? (Except for Kevin "laugh at me, because I'm fat" James).

Some of Sandler's stuff pre-2000 is good but unfortunately he hasn't done anything decent (comedy-wise) in a while.

Edited by Ghost

Â