The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Got Hugo downloaded and ready to watch when I fancy a night off Battlestar Galactica. Thoughts?

will there ever be a TV show that ever comes close to BSG?

It's really good (I'm halfway through series 2), but it's not up there with the big two (Sopranos and The Wire) imo. Then again, nothing is. I'd put it on a par with 24 (1-4), Game of Thrones, The Shield, Deadwood, Prison Break (1-2), etc.

Only halfway through series 2 ad you're trying to judge it already!!

Wait till you've see it all, it's only getting started. End of series 2 is great but the final two series are awesome. What a show.

Prestige is an excellent movie, but I felt so underwhelmed by the ending that it took a fair bit of the enjoyment away.

Agreed.

Warning: Spoiler Heavy

I quite liked the ending of the Prestige, I thought it was a masterstroke. It mirrors the art of most magic tricks, that when you learn the trick to the centre piece it's so simple it's very underwhelming, because you're hoping for more, you're hoping for a bit of magic, or some method of doing the trick that is so out there, it might as well be magic. The fact that the secret to Borden's transported man is given up/spoken about so many times throughout the film, and along with the characters, we, the audience don't want to believe it echoes the real world of magic. In addition Angiers version of the trick is developed using science, and he is viewed as the unethical magician in the end, but his lament about the only reason he did the trick was to see the look on the audiences faces is kind of heartbreaking. I personally feel the ending is misunderstood, and love the film....

My disappointment was that I expected something clever. I really liked the Borden trick, I was very pleased with that, it was Angiers that annoyed me though and lost the movie some marks for me, a multiplication/teleportation thing just seemed a bit of a cop out.

Got Hugo downloaded and ready to watch when I fancy a night off Battlestar Galactica. Thoughts?

will there ever be a TV show that ever comes close to BSG?

It's really good (I'm halfway through series 2), but it's not up there with the big two (Sopranos and The Wire) imo. Then again, nothing is. I'd put it on a par with 24 (1-4), Game of Thrones, The Shield, Deadwood, Prison Break (1-2), etc.

Only halfway through series 2 ad you're trying to judge it already!!

Wait till you've see it all, it's only getting started. End of series 2 is great but the final two series are awesome. What a show.

Fair enough! And here I was thinking 25 hours of a show was enough to form some kind of judgement...! :lol:

Some mad shit went down last night. Pegasus has shown up, and Admiral Cain's causing all kinds of hassle... Getting very juicy indeed.

Now the series gets going. Pegasus is for me where the show moves from the relatively isolated episodes to full on story arc. It was around then when the show had become popular enough for the freedom of creativity to be unleashed.

She is one vengeful bitch that Admiral Cain

Watched Drive again. Pretty much as before for me. Decent movie, good soundtrack, but still not seeing what some others are seeing in Gosling.

Why?

Why must you do this to me?

I used to love you man....

Sorry. :(

You bought this on yourself though to be honest by picking that MLB team. :winkold:

Watched Drive again. Pretty much as before for me. Decent movie, good soundtrack, but still not seeing what some others are seeing in Gosling.

Why?

You bought this on yourself though to be honest by picking that MLB team. :winkold:

If we land Dempster and with Ben Sheets looking like Ben Sheets, look out Washington. We're coming for you. The East looks a LOT different these days, yet there always seems to be one constant....

Did I ever tell you I lived in Lichfield? Well, Fradley. I must have.

*Ahem*... Films.... Dead Mans Shoes tonight....

Why?

If we land Dempster and with Ben Sheets looking like Ben Sheets, look out Washington. We're coming for you. The East looks a LOT different these days, yet there always seems to be one constant....

Did I ever tell you I lived in Lichfield? Well, Fradley. I must have.

*Ahem*... Films.... Dead Mans Shoes tonight....

Ben Sheets has no right to come back after basically 2 years without playing and be that good. :( I thought we may be the team to take your place at the top, but those collapses let Philly in and the rest is history, we're so **** depressing.

I think you'd mentioned it before, but not specifically where. My aunt lives on Worthington road in Fradley.

Dead Mans Shoes. Now that's a film I'm sure we agree on!

This year batman was the 1 film i was really looking forward to. Now its gone im looking at other films coming up that look exciting and for me two stand out

Gangster Squad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGK0ysEPHxI starring Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Nick Nolte, Emma Stone and josh Brolin

and

Django unchained:

the latest from Mr Quentin Tarantino starring Jamie Foxx, Dicaprio and Christoph Waltz

Also the trailer for the watch had me laughing throughout. Any other good films to look forward to?

Depends what stuff you like? Total Recall, Bourne Legacy, Dredd and The Hobbit are all out this year in terms of bigger named stuff. Though it pisses me off a little that none of these are really original!

Gangster squad looks really good. Surprised I haven't heard many people crying about that cinema shooting scene after the Batman thing though.

Ben Sheets has no right to come back after basically 2 years without playing and be that good. :( I thought we may be the team to take your place at the top, but those collapses let Philly in and the rest is history, we're so **** depressing.

I think you'd mentioned it before, but not specifically where. My aunt lives on Worthington road in Fradley.

Dead Mans Shoes. Now that's a film I'm sure we agree on!

I know, astonishing comeback. 12 innings, 0 (zero) runs, 2 wins.

That's the main one that runs right through? Co-op end? I used to live on Rogerson Road.

I don't live there anymore so this conversation is kinda moot! But I do have mates in Lichfield still. Next time I'm up I'll let you know.

Alright, cool.

Looking up on Ganster Squad a bit more and it seems they are considered re-doing some scenes after the Batman shootings. Think this is probably one of those things that pisses me off that shouldn't.

Â