The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I really need to see Drive again. It's **** awesome...

...in fact I've just ordered it on blu ray. Hoorah!

Films are great in the way they can totally split opinion in such a black and white way. I could not stand Drive at all and I gave it a 5 on IMDB.

Films are great in the way they can totally split opinion in such a black and white way. I could not stand Drive at all and I gave it a 5 on IMDB.

I thought drive was bloody awful. nothing divides opinions like films though.

Yep, I had 2 mates who were going to the cinema. Even though I hadn't seen Drive by then, I recommended it to them and they were SO pissed off. They HATED it.

I loved it.

Whatever bloats your goat

Dark Knight Rises - 9 out of 10

Was lucky to see it before most people but WOW!!!! Had reservations about Bane being the main villain but he truly steals the show, and dare i say it I prefered Bane to the joker in dark knight. Gordon Levitt played a BIG part also. Didnt really see the point of catwoman to be honest, and it is 20 minutes to long but for me it ties with THE RAID as FILM OF THE YEAR! seeing this just makes me wonder how anyone can like fluffy rubbish like avengers and iron man (had to get that in :-) )

Drive - 8.5 out of 10 - To add to the debate....AWESOME MOVIE!!! from the soundtrack, to the cinemagraphy, to the acting it truly is fantastic. There isnt much story line to it, and bits of it are completely daft but I love it. I havent seen a film with this much ATMOSPHERE since 'heat'.

There's nothing that makes me skip past posts quicker at the moment than the words "Dark Knight Rises"

I know that^^^ is probably spoiler free, but I@m taking no chances!

There's nothing that makes me skip past posts quicker at the moment than the words "Dark Knight Rises"

I've said as much on twitter. The fact there's a whole TDKR thread for people to spoil on should mean the film thread is safe ... :rant:

Watched Ted, The Amazing Spider-man and Warrior over the last few days. Ted is ok, laugh out loud on occasion, worth watching if you fancy some no brain comedy. Warrior is good, cant believe the size of Hardy who as ever is excellent. Really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-man, not overly cheesy, some decent acting, decent story and some good action.

Saw the Amazing Spider-man myself last night.

It's overall probably the second best Spider-man film, behind 2, but beats that in many departments. Garfield makes a great Peter Parker and Spider-man, it was nice to finally have a Spider-man who was as obnoxious as he should be when he's fighting. Emma Stone was pretty good as Gwen Stacey too, Denis Leary was alright as Captain Stacey and Rhys Ifans does decent work as Dr. Connors. Martin Sheen is a very good Uncle Ben too. And a surperb Stan Lee cameo, possibly the best this far in any Marvel commodity project.

It was also great to see a Spider-man film that understood the way that Spider-man should move. Raimi never quite got it, his Spider-man is agile but little else, Spider-man is supposedly to be absurdly agile, his should be all over the place and moving like a confident gymnast who rejects gravity whilst on cocaine. This film got that and all the action looks right, helped by a lot of the less... out there... stunts and the like having the CGI stripped back. You could tell that a lot of it was Garfield/a stunt guy actually doing this stuff (obviously not the case with the swinging by and large but they've got that nailed too, it's believable). The film has excellent cinematography as well, it's a film that looks brilliant, shot to shot to shot, and a world away from Raimi's signature style, for the better.

It has it's faults though. It spends far too long with the origin. We know that story - get on with it. The benefit of course is that it's more Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben, but the downside is you spend an age sat there waiting for the suit to get put on. It's around an hour of Peter before we get the full Spider-man. And while the marketing would have you believe they were doing something new... er... they aren't. There are brief nods and hints to a plot they want to develop of what happened to Peter's parents (a story no-one cares about and has been awful every time it's been dealt with in numerous iterations of the comics), an in fairness more developed love plot compared to whats gone previously (which in turn makes Gwen a far more interesting character than MJ), another plot they seem to be foreshadowing involving Norman Osborne, and 'Curt Conners done misses his left arm!'. A good 15 minutes at least could have been trimmed.

The Lizard is another problem. I actually like the character, traditionally, but at the same time I accept hes not in Spidey's top tier of his rogues gallery. He's in effect just a monster. The film makes a valiant attempt to make him more than that, by which I mean half an hour before the end it goes 'Shit, he's just a monster and we need a big finish... er, er... DIABOLICAL PLOT!'. Complete with a conveniently made computer graphic explaining the diabolical plot in perfect Moronese. I don't know whether I'd have been more or less engaged if they had just gone '**** it, he's a monster, Spider-man stops him, chuck the budget at the last 20'. As it is, I don't buy the final plot the Lizard has, and it feels tacked on.

The design across the board is weak as well. The Lizard design seems to be chosen on the back of 2 things, firstly that they need it to talk at a few moments and if they wanted the design I'd have liked, with the full jutting reptilian jaw, they'd have a nightmare convincing anyone that the thing could actually talk like a human, as it wouldn't have lips. And secondly it's a call back to Steve Ditko's original design. But it's a poor design, it looks dumb - there are a couple of scenes where it looks like it's dopely going to shout 'SURPRISE!' with a big grin. The CG itself is pretty good, the design is stupid. The Spidey costume isn't a classic either. There are numerous other moments where someone in the art department has obviously been given the task of making 'something science lab-y'. This is all minor but it constantly annoyed me.

But still I really enjoyed it. It feels long, lacks a classic villain, lacks a truly brilliant engaging plot, has shifty art design, but it looks brilliant, has some top performances, has Emma Stone in constant knee high boots and short skirts, and it feels more like Spider-man than any film thats gone so far. The lack of a great villain and a good plot, keeps it sat behind Spider-man 2, but it bodes well for a future sequel if everyone comes back on board and brings their A game for the plot and art design.

Oh, it also has an absolutely unnecessary cringe inducing 'America tugging your heart strings' scene, you'll know it when you see it, but take a sick bucket in time for the scene involving the cranes. Because it's hideous. Imagine the subway 'You'll have to get through me/He's just some kid' scene from Spider-man 2, but somehow worse.

Fun though, go see it.

I've said as much on twitter. The fact there's a whole TDKR thread for people to spoil on should mean the film thread is safe ... :rant:

I'm seeing the film on Saturday, for sure, and possibly Friday. I'm going to whack up a spoiler free review/reaction when I do see it, and a heavily spoilered (but marked) reaction a bit later when some other people have seen it, so don't fear if you see me react unspoilered - you'll be able to read it as a hype piece ;)

'Shit, he's just a monster and we need a big finish... er, er... DIABOLICAL PLOT!'. Complete with a conveniently made computer graphic explaining the diabolical plot in perfect Moronese. I don't know whether I'd have been more or less engaged if they had just gone '**** it, he's a monster, Spider-man stops him, chuck the budget at the last 20'. As it is, I don't buy the final plot the Lizard has, and it feels tacked on.

Another superb review from yourself, Mr. Chindie. I agree with most of it (I'd put this above all of the Raimi films personally), especially the bit quoted. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and had no real reasoning behind it.

How come you've only just seen it? Unlike you to take this long! :P

Another superb review from yourself, Mr. Chindie. I agree with most of it (I'd put this above all of the Raimi films personally), especially the bit quoted. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and had no real reasoning behind it.

How come you've only just seen it? Unlike you to take this long! :P

Normally I try to see a film in the week following release (unless I'm hyped for it then I try to see it asap - Avengers I think I saw at the second showing I could, if the cinema isn't sold out I'll be doing similar for TDKR. My mates won't be impressed but **** it, I've been waiting for this film like a crazy person). With this new Spider-man I was hugely cynical of it (still kinda am but thats waned as the film out did my estimations) and wasn't that desperate to see it, so I waited until my mates wanted to go see it. Which took till last night.

As I said it's better than any of Raimi's films on the one hand, and weaker than 2 on a couple of important ones. Had this cast made this film, but with Spider-man 2's plot (tack on the origin/Ben dying at the start/and replace MJ with the Gwen plot), and we'd be knocking on for one of the best comic films full stop.

The cast blows Maguire and co away. I don't hate Maguire like many do but his Spider-man and Peter are... not the ones I really like and want. Garfield is far better. Gwen is better than MJ and played better, developed better. It's better shot. The action is immeasurably better - Raimi's Spidey hits people. This Spidey bounces around them hurls webbing at them grabs and whips them around with the webbing, all while wisecracking and being a really... kinda annoying presence which is exactly what you want from a really good Spider-man.

It's just massively let down by the plot and the villain and a lot of the art design. It's that that makes me prefer 2 - Doc Ock in that film is great, I buy everything about that character, he's a villain of mistake much like the Lizard but he's a better standard of villain and a better developed one for it.

It bodes well for a sequel. Which will happen, because Sony are not letting that license end.

I thought drive was bloody awful. nothing divides opinions like films though.

or the Jean Makoun thread ;)

The cast blows Maguire and co away. I don't hate Maguire like many do but his Spider-man and Peter are... not the ones I really like and want. Garfield is far better. Gwen is better than MJ and played better, developed better. It's better shot. The action is immeasurably better - Raimi's Spidey hits people. This Spidey bounces around them hurls webbing at them grabs and whips them around with the webbing, all while wisecracking and being a really... kinda annoying presence which is exactly what you want from a really good Spider-man.

I think Mcguire did fine, but Garfield did indeed blow him away. I think Garfield/Stone were far more believable than Maguire/Dunst, the latter seemed to just tolerate each other more than anything, whereas Garfield and Stone had great chemistry (though for obvious reasons I suppose).

It bodes well for a sequel. Which will happen, because Sony are not letting that license end.

Talking of which..

What's your view on the end credits scene? I still don't really know what to make of it. I've read a tonne of things online about who it is, who do you reckon? Richard Parker or Normal Osborn seem to be the favourite, don't think Richard Parker makes much sense though.

Whilst the thread is on the subject of Andrew Garfield and his acting talents, I can highly recommend watching Boy A. I won't spoil it by giving too much away but it's a hard hitting drama and has certain parallels with the James Bulger case. It also features a great supporting cast including Peter Mullan (one of my favourites).

It's not exactly a date movie but if you like top performances (Garfield is bloody excellent) then I would give it a go.

A few reviews here

That hammer scene in particular - perfection. His movement, the slight hesitation and the cracks in his voice. Remarkable. I believed in his character every single second.

You see that's exactly the sort of thing you should be looking out for in a performance.

Gosling is perfect in that role. There is a reason for every little movement, every look, every hesitation. He studies everyone, he trusts pretty much no-one and he's a walking bag of suppressed rage. It's a pretty difficult character to convey convincingly, but Gosling does it superbly.

Indeed.

This is why I will watch any film you ever recommend to me!

You can tell a lot about somebody from what they see in film. I have to say (and I don't mean offence to anyone here, we don't all have to be "mates") that I'm 99% sure I wouldn't get along with somebody who viewed Goslings performance as "wooden".

Up there with anything Clint Eastwood ever did in my opinion.

Â