The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Didn't know whether to put this in the film thread or the music thread. So I'll do both. 

Watched The Eight Mountains (2022) last night. Great film, with some spectacular cinematography in the Alps and Himalayas. I was rather enjoying the soundtrack, which featured a series of Americana-ish songs, so I looked up the performer. It was (slightly surprisingly) a Swedish singer-songwriter, called Daniel Norgren. I'd never heard of him, but discovered - by amazing coincidence - that he's playing at the Brudenell Social Club this Sunday evening. I may well go. 

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Didn't know whether to put this in the film thread or the music thread. So I'll do both. 

Watched The Eight Mountains (2022) last night. Great film, with some spectacular cinematography in the Alps and Himalayas. I was rather enjoying the soundtrack, which featured a series of Americana-ish songs, so I looked up the performer. It was (slightly surprisingly) a Swedish singer-songwriter, called Daniel Norgren. I'd never heard of him, but discovered - by amazing coincidence - that he's playing at the Brudenell Social Club this Sunday evening. I may well go. 

He's fantastic. And even better live.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, sne said:

He's fantastic. And even better live.

Can't believe I didn't know about him, as that stuff is right up my street. Reminiscent of Neil Young. Looking forward to the gig tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Can't believe I didn't know about him, as that stuff is right up my street. Reminiscent of Neil Young. Looking forward to the gig tomorrow. 

Watched him live a couple of times and each set has been completely a different experience from the previous one. Not sure which set he's going with this time but I've seen him both on his own and with a full band. One of the times was at a theater with seating that was almost an ambient show and the first time was at a tiny scene at a small blues festival in a town not that far from where I live. Both were fantastic. Last time was more of a regular concert and it was still great.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Decent bit of daftness.

Denzel as watchable as ever, plenty of bone crunching OTT violence and entertaining enough. Better than the first one but I think two was definitely the strongest of the three.

Off to see Cobweb later, which I've been looking forward to for a while now.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

The Company You Keep (2012, Robert Redford)

It’s currently on BBC iplayer so I watched it because it had a crazy good cast and it’s about a subject I’m interested in. A subject you couldn’t fail to make a good film about, The Weather Underground, a US student lead terror organisation of radicals in the 1970’s that robbed banks, bombed the Pentagon etc..

Fair play, they managed to make it utterly boring. Beyond boring, I couldn’t be bothered to be bored.

2 hours of Robert Redford posing in various disguises, all of which were actually just a variety of baseball caps over the eyes.

Seriously, if you’re a cop in the US and you’re looking for a middle aged man, and the entire crowd is a mixed bag of everyone, but there’s one middle aged guy in that crowd but you can’t see his face because his head is down and his baseball cap is obscuring his eyes… THAT MIGHT BE HIM!!!

Jesus **** Christ.

24 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Decent bit of daftness.

Denzel as watchable as ever, plenty of bone crunching OTT violence and entertaining enough. Better than the first one but I think two was definitely the strongest of the three.

Enjoy cobweb me and boy thought it was excellent

• Thanks 1

On 08/09/2023 at 08:00, fightoffyour said:

How many killings are there?

Spoiler

Under 10 opportunity wasted

image.jpeg.03347bac036d1cbce82b72613dac6b32.jpeg

off in a bit to see this with the boy. Hoping for good things as we are both massive fans of the conjuring universe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Under 10 opportunity wasted

image.jpeg.03347bac036d1cbce82b72613dac6b32.jpeg

off in a bit to see this with the boy. Hoping for good things as we are both massive fans of the conjuring universe.

Off to see it tomorrow afternoon. 

Let me know how it is :thumb:

Recommend these couple of indie psychological Drama/Horrors I watched this week.

Both good, with interesting, well written stories and both featuring strong female lead performances.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Good stuff 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Off to see it tomorrow afternoon. 

Let me know how it is :thumb:

Loved it 👍

It takes a while to get into full swing, but when it does, it really works, so bear with it👍

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.43a0d5cae4632fd3620c543bb64f1a9a.jpeg

mystery thriller with Nick Cage, playing well  Nick Cage

Joel Kinnaman plays the straight act to kook koo Cage very well.

You don’t get to know either of their names which is an interesting concept. Gets nice and twisty towards the end as well.

Worth a punt

Edited by Follyfoot

On 06/09/2023 at 13:48, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Decent bit of daftness.

Watched this earlier in the week, and while its been absolutely ages since I've seen the first two I think I'm right in saying that this is a bit more of a slow burn to start off with, it was necessary though to build the world, I really enjoyed it.

I don't think we'll be getting any more of them though, after 30 years of looking like he was in his 30's, father time has caught up with Denzel and he's finally looking old.

8 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Watched this earlier in the week, and while its been absolutely ages since I've seen the first two I think I'm right in saying that this is a bit more of a slow burn to start off with, it was necessary though to build the world, I really enjoyed it.

I don't think we'll be getting any more of them though, after 30 years of looking like he was in his 30's, father time has caught up with Denzel and he's finally looking old.

They not doing one with queen latifa???

I've still never seen the TV show but I'm sure they'll advertise it during the NFL tonight, I really don't get how that's a thing, seems like a really bad miscast

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They not doing one with queen latifa???

I've still never seen the TV show but I'm sure they'll advertise it during the NFL tonight, I really don't get how that's a thing, seems like a really bad miscast

I didn't even know there was a series of The Equalizer, just had a look and they are completely seperate things so there won't be any Queen Latifah and Denzel crossovers (thankfully)

Â