The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Scent of a Woman has definitely got its flaws and pacino is perhaps a little cliched in it, he gives a real marmite performance but I dont know, ive seen it so many times now I just ignore its faults and go along with it. Some really funny scenes and some really touching scenes. Not a masterpiece by any means but its a great movie.

My favourite Pacino film has to be Carlito's Way though.

Scent of a Woman has definitely got its flaws and pacino is perhaps a little cliched in it, he gives a real marmite performance but I dont know, ive seen it so many times now I just ignore its faults and go along with it. Some really funny scenes and some really touching scenes. Not a masterpiece by any means but its a great movie.

My favourite Pacino film has to be Carlito's Way though.

I think it's excellent and I think Pacino is too. Remember being the only one who liked it when me and a couple of friends watched it when it was new. They thought it was boring. Love the scene with the Ferrari.

Saw True Grit earlier tonight and Sphere yesterday. Both very good films. True grit being the better, no doubt. But I liked the whole thing about Sphere. Though the end was a bit, hm, well, the worst part.

Yes. I love that movie.

Put the coffee down. Coffee is for closers!

"First place gets a Cadillac El Dorado.

Wanna know what second place gets? Second place gets a set a steak knives.

Third place means you're fired."

Classic movie

I saw a surprisingly fun and suspenseful movie with Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan, forget the name....really good though.

Was it 'The Ghost Writer' by any chance?

I saw that the other day, was pretty good. Although I dozed off an missed the last 10 minutes, argh.

Went to see Super 8 on Saturday.

I would say 7 out of 10 for it. Really enjoyed it but there was just something missing from it to make it a great film.

Some really good scenes in it though but I just did not believe in the town or the people who lived there. Some parts are like the A- Team also.

Good night out though and worth seeing at the Cinema.

Mike Leigh = genius.

Indeed

Seconded. With the exception of High Hopes (which I thought was decent but I found the massively OTT yuppies annoying) he's pretty much a flawless director for me.

Just on the subject of Another Year, how great was the cameo from Imelda Staunton? that great two-header with Ruth Sheen (another superb actress)was so fantastically natural.

I helped put together a short with some mates and I was the Producer, so thought I would put a link to it in here. It hasn't turned out perfect but not too bad for a first attempt. Thought I would post a link to the short in here. Apologies for the scouse accents but I am living up in Liverpool and those were the people we ended up casting.

The short is basically about a footballer for hire, kind of like a hitman for hire. Yet there is also a Western influence to the whole thing. It's all set within a bar and is quite a simple short.

Take a look if you get chance. You can see the short

It has taken long enough for me to get a short going, being that I had been working in the industry for a while. Strange that it happes now when I'm not in the industry.

Anyway, I plan on writing and directing the next one with Dan producing. We work well as a team and hopefully we are going to get a few more shorts up and running. Some may think it's a little too late for me as I'm 26, but you're never too old. I wish I had done it sooner though and I'm not quite sure why I didn't...

I saw a surprisingly fun and suspenseful movie with Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan, forget the name....really good though.

Was it 'The Ghost Writer' by any chance?

That's the one

Went back to some old favourites this weekend. All mentioned several times already in this thread but I think all deserve another mention:

41R81kz%2BifL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

418tpjFWEZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51nfuPGyV-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Have you seen "The End of Violence"?

Â