The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Probably the best place to put this...

Anyone who's been looking forward to the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions dropping on blu-ray, which they do this month, might be in for a bit of a disappointment.

The original theatrical release of the trilogy on blu-ray last year was a bit of a disappointment since no-one really wants the Theatrical cuts any more, but more over because the transfer on the first film especially was pretty ropey. It was full of DNR and looked quite shifty in parts. Thankfully the new release fixes that... but brings it's own new issue. Someone has blatantly **** up on the remastering and has tinged the whole thing in a much greener tint. Many people wouldn't notice but if you are a big fan of the films or appreciate good visuals, you might be left wondering why, for example, Saruman looks like he has jaundice, or why the snow that on all other releases was a pearly shining white, is now curiously dull... Pretty much every review of the release is picking up this, which in pretty much every other respect is receiving glowing praise (even accepting for other issues like the 15 disc set actually only featuring 6 blu-rays...).

I do wonder if this might lead to a Gladiator-esque recall and replacement on the first film...?

Each film is split over two blu-rays as well I think. That's not great either...

It's not ideal, but I can imagine the reasoning for it. The films were long to start with, adding in 40/50 mins to each of them and also scaling up to HD, whacking them across 2 discs probably makes a little bit of sense. Saying that the cynic in me says that all they've done is taken the work they did for the DVD releases back in 02/03/04 and just remastered them, disc break and all.

Another thing with the transfer that may annoy some is that it's not a 4k transfer, which the best Blu-Rays releases are. Why? Because the film was made to what is equivalent to a 2k transfer, and thus the SFX was also made to that standard. You could master to a 4k transfer for the non SFX shots, but the SFX would then look weird. So you'd need to ground up redo the CGI, which in a series of films that cost about £300m all in to make and knocking on for half of that in CG, just ain't happening.

Saying all that, I'm still buying them. I love those films pretty much unquestionably. I've never actually seen the second extended edition. I intend to get a free day and just sit down and watch them back to back. Marathon style.

I recently watched the entire series of Evangelion, interesting stuff. Still don't know if I liked it or was just intrigued by the whole thing. I watched the one with the original wierd final 2 episodes that caused uproar in Japan. Never seen the movies a new endings.

Definitely watch "End of Evangelion". Much better than the bull-shit ending the series originally got and at the same time, validates it (if you consider parts of the original two final episodes as taking place at a certain chronological point in EoE). :thumb:

Just watched Sucker Punch. Didn't think it could be as bad as the reviews made out. I was right, it's worse.

What a pile of crap that was. How the hell has it grossed 90mill.

Watched about 40 mins myself, awful film.

Strange one because i know Snyder can make a brilliant film and tell a story, Watchmen was fantastic, 300 was great and Dawn of the dead was pretty good aswell.

Prime example of style over substance.

I recently watched the entire series of Evangelion, interesting stuff. Still don't know if I liked it or was just intrigued by the whole thing. I watched the one with the original wierd final 2 episodes that caused uproar in Japan. Never seen the movies a new endings.

Definitely watch "End of Evangelion". Much better than the bull-shit ending the series originally got and at the same time, validates it (if you consider parts of the original two final episodes as taking place at a certain chronological point in EoE). :thumb:

Cheers will check it out. Yeah the original endings were secondly unique.

Just spent my Father's Day Amazon voucher on this.

41YkDMorxGL.jpg

Where is Vivre sa Vie?? I have the 2 box sets simply entitled 'Godard' and then the ones that are missing in those from the '60s collection' - Masculin Feminine and 2 or 3 things I know about her. Love his films, especially everything with Anna Karina, so the absence of it from an 'ultimate collection' is a bit shitty. Still, the price is good for that

Quite so, it's not really "ultimate", but it's a good starter collection.

I've ordered the new Tarkovsky box set, too. Ah, the joy of internet shopping while drunk. :lol:

Bunch of anime for sale on zavvi/the hut at the mo... Any recommendations?

Big list here http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zavvi-manga-20th-anniversary-specials-dvd-blu-ray-from-3-85/960742

Urotsukidoji. :)

Beat you to it ! :P It is great though. Everyone should buy it. Tentacle rape for all.

I did enjoy End of Eva too. Especially the bit when the Spear of Longinus goes up Rei/Giant Rei/Adam's muff.

Was totally fascinated by that series for many years. Read up on a whole bunch of Kabala related things that are referenced in the show like the Tree of Sephiroth, etc. Needless to say I am quite happy I don't take much of an interest in Anime anymore. Do continue to collect the manga though, but as I mentioned previously the continued rehashes/re-edits/re-masters for Eva are way OTT.

Watching "A Bittersweet Life" again tonight, following on from the Old Boy discussion.

Tarantino-esq when Tarantino was worth a shit. Epic film.

Loved Bittersweet life, Friend, Failan, Sympathy of Mr Vegance and Mother are other good SK film to watch.

I watch Uno a film based in Oslo and it has to be the best film I seen this year, just brillant.

Never has there been a series where I've hated the protagonist as much as I've loved the show itself. Stop crying and get in the **** robot!

imusntrunaway imusntrunaway imusntrunaway imusntrunaway ... *SPUNKS ON HAND* :cry: ASUKA !

haha. Yeh it is great. I only ever got into Gantz and Berserk other than Eva as far as series go. I didn't ever get into the ultra ka-wa-ii stuff, nor the series that never ever ever end.

OH YH I watched The Wrestler over the weekend. It was good. Didn't expect it to be as slow paced as it was, enjoyed it. Necro Butcher's acting was spot on, sir.

Just been told that Ryan Dunn of jackass/cky fame has been killed in a car crash?

R.i.p if true.

Edit: wrong thread. Erm......paul is an alright film. Watch it :thumb:

watched unknown again last night

when I went to see it on the big screen I came out saying it was a decent film but liam neeson was shit in it

after watching it again...liam neeson destroys the whole film with his shambolic acting

(yes I know this will probably end up in a big ''liam neeson is great'' debate but I just really think he is shockingly bad)

watched xmen 1st class, good film really enjoyed it, not the best copy that I watched it on though

Got round to watching Toy Story 3 yesterday. I managed not to weep like a girl, but I did hug my cuddly penguin I've had since I was a nipper for about 30 minutes afterwards.

GHEY. :oops:

Watched End of Eva last night. Little less confusing than the original endings, but still as expected open to any number of interpretations. My word that shinji is seriously annoying.

So still don't know if I enjoyed the series, but it was very interesting, and I'm glad I watched it.

On a side note, I get the feeling the series influenced final fantasy 7. Some themes seem common to both, particularly the internal mental strife of the protagonist and their mental acceptance of "who am I?" and who they are leads to the resolution of the crisis.

Also common is the life stream and the blood of lilith. They are the same but this is a common theme in many japanese manga.

Â