The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 13/11/2016 at 21:06, HanoiVillan said:
  Hide contents

No, I mean the moment when a female character felt compelled to offer free use of her anus as a reward for saving her life, for no obvious reason

That was the best bit of the film 

it was on Channel 4 one night and I was all geared up for that line .... and they bloody well cut it and I believe they've cut it from the DVD release as well

film is now officially on the boycott list 

Arrival tonight

all the reviews had been positive , which should have been my first warning ...

absolute drivel if it wasn't for the orange and cranberry flavour popcorn I was munching I'd probably have left the cinema 

I like Sci-fi type  films but this was just meh 

• Like 1

Arrival.

Argh. What an awkward movie. There's an hour of this that is absolutely riveting. The idea of a sudden arrival of an alien craft and what would happen is fascinating. Remarkably the idea the journey through linguistics is engaging too.

And then it does something.

And it becomes a different movie.

It becomes a worse movie.

The movie veers in another direction and it doesn't need to really, and it makes the veering off the movie. And the sudden turn makes it a discuss over a beer film but as it happened I could feel the satisfaction drain from me. There's such a great movie here and then they lose it. I know loads of people would scream at me saying 'That's the point! That's the whole point!' but it just didn't scratch the itch it provokes. A cocktease of a movie.

Absolutely not for everyone too. Or many people. I could see this having mass walkouts because it's not the movie many might think.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Arrival tonight

all the reviews had been positive , which should have been my first warning ...

absolute drivel if it wasn't for the orange and cranberry flavour popcorn I was munching I'd probably have left the cinema 

I like Sci-fi type  films but this was just meh 

Absolutely brilliant film. Even my kids loved it. Most we've ever talked about a film after coming out the cinema.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The idea of a sudden arrival of an alien craft and what would happen is fascinating.

It got me wondering what the actual protocol is for such an event .... shoot it down just in case or try and communicate ? 

Just now, darrenm said:

Absolutely brilliant film. Even my kids loved it. Most we've ever talked about a film after coming out the cinema.

As Chindie said in his fuller synopsis under mine it just didn't know what it wanted to be , it started well and was quite gripping .... then it fell apart , bollocks like the phone number , no , just no 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Arrival.

Argh. What an awkward movie. There's an hour of this that is absolutely riveting. The idea of a sudden arrival of an alien craft and what would happen is fascinating. Remarkably the idea the journey through linguistics is engaging too.

And then it does something.

And it becomes a different movie.

It becomes a worse movie.

The movie veers in another direction and it doesn't need to really, and it makes the veering off the movie. And the sudden turn makes it a discuss over a beer film but as it happened I could feel the satisfaction drain from me. There's such a great movie here and then they lose it. I know loads of people would scream at me saying 'That's the point! That's the whole point!' but it just didn't scratch the itch it provokes. A cocktease of a movie.

Absolutely not for everyone too. Or many people. I could see this having mass walkouts because it's not the movie many might think.

I see what you're saying with the different direction but not many people will notice that. And it is the point. If it stayed with the initial direction it would have been a decent but niche film.

I can't see many people being disappointed with it. Like I said above I've got a 12 and 10 year old with short attention spans and a dislike of anything sci-fi and they were riveted and surprisingly came out waxing lyrical about it.

I just couldn't take the idea that

Spoiler

Learning a new approach to language makes you psychic seriously. I understand they've taken a language theory and extrapolated it, via aliens, to an extreme. But it breaks the movie. The intrigue is in the aliens and what, why, how of them for me. The film didn't even bother to give more than a line of their purpose... Largely because their purpose is to be a narrative device. The films twist is basically that the the thing you think the movie is about, are actually a plot device for a far less interesting narrative that kinda undermines everything that came before.

Which is great shame because the first hour is **** awesome. And it even had the themes it wanted to talk about nailed from the get go and wasn't even that heavy handed with it. And then they ruined it.

Yeah, I kind of wanted to see more impact of the aliens arrival on earth, the aliens themselves, the hows, whys, etc too...but that isn't the story. Is the film worse for that, having built it to a point based very much in the real world, using real world methods and ideas to solve the issue of an extraterrestrial encounter? In hindsight, I would agree it is. So it's regrettable that the film does that so well, but isn't actually all that concerned about it in the last quarter or so. I went to watch a movie about, uh, the Arrival of aliens, was shown a bit of that but not enough to satisfy my curiosity.

It's telling then that the short story was called 'Story of your Life', setting out it's stall from the off. I'm curious to see how closely it follows the original story, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the Chinese ultimatum thing (and that silly phone call bit) is wedged in to provide a bit of tension for the viewer.

I did like it very much despite the above though. It looked and sounded great (although the voices seemed quite low in the mix at times, don't know if that was just my cinema or not), and the aliens themselves, wonderful design.

Gosh, it didn't half make me want to watch Solaris ('72) again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darrenm said:

I've got a 12 and 10 year old with short attention spans and a dislike of anything sci-fi

I thought 12 and 10 year olds were sci-fi's target audience? 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

(although the voices seemed quite low in the mix at times, don't know if that was just my cinema or not),

Showcase Reading had the same problem  , thought it was just me :)

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I thought 12 and 10 year olds were sci-fi's target audience? 

I think that ship has sailed. 12 and 10 year old don't like anything any more. Sci-fi is for 40 year old who used to like sci-fi when they were 12.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

It looks all over the shop tonally and some of the CGI looks less than impressive.

Can't see it being any more than average tbh.

isn't it then going to steal a page from the marvel fleece the fan boys book and become Kong v Godzilla in the next film ?

I thought the trailer I saw looked ok :blush:

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I think that ship has sailed. 12 and 10 year old don't like anything any more. Sci-fi is for 40 year old who used to like sci-fi when they were 12.

Yeah, makes sense. Like westerns are for 60 year olds who used to like westerns when they were 12. 

Â