The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I said a few posts back I wanted to see Biutiful, but haven't been able to find a cinema that's showing it!

There was a free screening of this at The Electric just after new year. It was one of the Grolsch sponsored things, they put them on at FACT in Liverpool too, you just have to apply for tickets when they announce they're putting one on.

As for where is showing it now, had a quick look around around and it looks like this week is the last for screenings, at the few places that are still showing it (FACT and The Little in Bath are)

Cheers for that.

Few films I've watched recently...

Twelve Monkeys 7/10

Man is sent back in time to find the origin of a virus that wiped the majority of the worlds population. Good film, not the most interesting plot but I enjoyed the acting of the likes of Pitt and Willis who did well in a role different to what he is used to. A big plus for me was the music which fits in really well with the theme of the film. Pitts character is crazyyy...

True Grit (2010) 7/10

The Coen brothers are a real mixed bag for me, I love No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski but I'm not the greatest fan of Fargo or Burn After Reading. This one fits into the latter for me, it the young girl was excellent but the plot didn't really interest me that much and I struggled at times to understand what Bridges was saying. Saying that some films do require a second watch to appreciate what it is.

Neds 6/10

About the Glasgow youth culture made by a producer of Trainspotting. Started off well, but was generally a big mess. So many things happen in so little time and you are left to wonder why they have happened and really each part of the film needed more development to allow the viewer to understand why the young guy is doing what he is doing. Some good scenes though such as him going for a gang with two knifes strapped to his hands.

Raising Arizona 7/10

Not a Cage fan but he was excellent in this, an enjoyable film about an ex convict and his ex cop wife who can't make or adopt a baby. Due to this they set out to steal a one of the quintuplet babies another couple had. All of this leads to a host of action filled events.

Raising Arizona is one of my favourite films, and it's technically brilliant.

True Grit is very good, but it doesn't feel like a Coens movie. I doesn't have that dark humour or underlying irony, in many ways it's very old fashioned. It is very well made and the acting is grand, and you can't really say anything bad about it. The end is a bit off, but on reflection it works well. It's not one of the Coens best, not by any means, but it's a very good, old fashioned hoot.

I said a few posts back I wanted to see Biutiful, but haven't been able to find a cinema that's showing it!

There was a free screening of this at The Electric just after new year. It was one of the Grolsch sponsored things, they put them on at FACT in Liverpool too, you just have to apply for tickets when they announce they're putting one on.

As for where is showing it now, had a quick look around around and it looks like this week is the last for screenings, at the few places that are still showing it (FACT and The Little in Bath are)

Yeh I missed the screening at the Electric Cinema. Assumed they would be showing it when it was released but they're not.

I'll keep looking, otherwise I'll have to wait until it's on DVD.

Went to see True Grit again today, thought it was even better :)

After thinking Damon was a bit wishy washy first time, now i think he is great, doest overplay how he is a bit of a tit and its not thrown in our faces.

Bridges is great and gets all the amusing lines.

The Young lass is obviously great as well, and fine acting all round.

Well made film and after seeing this and The Fighter a couple of times this just pips it for me, some great films up for the best flick at the Oscars.

Both have great performances but True Grit has that little bit more substance, whilst the Fighter is just great performances on a very basic story.

See both though! :thumb:

Heartless_poster.jpg

It's very odd, and at times incoherent and bizarre, but ultimately it's a very enjoyable british psychological horror movie. Good central performance from Jim Sturgess and an absolutely top cameo from Eddie Marsan.

black-dynamite.jpg

Watched Black Dynamite last night - a tongue in cheek (but filmed exactly the same - right down to the shonky editing, acting and camera work) of a Blaxploitation film...

Very amusing, quality soundtrack and worth a watch if you have 85 spare minutes!!!!

Heartless_poster.jpg

It's very odd, and at times incoherent and bizarre, but ultimately it's a very enjoyable british psychological horror movie. Good central performance from Jim Sturgess and an absolutely top cameo from Eddie Marsan.

I really enjoyed this - didn't make a jot of sense but was quality if a little sad at the climax.

Totally agree about Eddie Marsan (who's pretty decent in most things he appears in!!!)

I told the missus about the rave reviews on here about Black Swan, so she and her mate went to see it.

She gave it 6/10 and said she found it more funny than scary.

Black Swan is a fantastic film. Hands down the best directed of the Oscar nominees in my opinion. Every scene has this eerie feel to it and the fact that such a character driven story comes to life is in large part down to Aronofsky. It just drips class in every scene. I really hope he wins the award for best director as he did an amazing job. True Grit would be a close second in terms of directing. Natalie Portman is also brilliant in it. She quite simply owns the role.

On the subject of the Oscars, I hope King's Speech gets the best film nod as overall I feel it was the best film. True Grit was well directed and acted, however I thought that it was a letdown overall. Certainly not one of the Coens' best films, although the direction in it is very good. I wouldn't be surprised if it sweeps the awards though as the critics have been gushing over it. The Fighter is all about Bale. If he doesn't win the best supporting actor gong then I will be truly shocked.

On the subject of the Oscars, I hope King's Speech gets the best film nod as overall I feel it was the best film. True Grit was well directed and acted, however I thought that it was a letdown overall. Certainly not one of the Coens' best films, although the direction in it is very good. I wouldn't be surprised if it sweeps the awards though as the critics have been gushing over it. The Fighter is all about Bale. If he doesn't win the best supporting actor gong then I will be truly shocked.

Apparently True Grit would be a surprise because its not been nominated for editing. No film in the past 100 years or something has won best picture without been nominated for editing as well.

I told the missus about the rave reviews on here about Black Swan, so she and her mate went to see it.

She gave it 6/10 and said she found it more funny than scary.

Black Swan is a fantastic film. Hands down the best directed of the Oscar nominees in my opinion. Every scene has this eerie feel to it and the fact that such a character driven story comes to life is in large part down to Aronofsky. It just drips class in every scene.

Basically this.

And I thought it was terrifying, and that's from someone who rarely finds films scary.

watched -

127 hours - very good, really well acted and directed great use of music far more enjoyable than it looks on paper

conviction - ok, swank and rockwell are both very good in it but overall i thought its a shame its a true story and the couldnt have taken the film in another direction

green hornet - nowhere near as good as it should be, parts of it are enjoybale other bits are really lazy

The Magdalene Sisters 8/10

A fictional film based on the magdalene asylums being run in Ireland during the 1960's and onwards. Women who had given into seduction were sent there usually for the rest of their lives for rehabilitation. Although this was really not the case. A powerful film, that was banned in Vatican City and you can see why. It is a really good watch though, and I had no idea that all this had happened before I watched the film. Nora-Jane Noone is gorgeous and plays her role brilliantly, surprisingly she hasn't gone on to do much in the acting world.

Not a recommendation as such but I just saw London Boulevard and it was exactly as I expected it to be. It's a film that want's to be really slick and cool but fails miserably IMO. Basically a very poor Lock, stock and two smoking barrels. There's not even a decent plot.

And is it just me or does Ray Winstone always play the same character? (i.e. himself!)

But another recommendation for both the King's Speech and the Black Swan - both excellent films in their own right.

Â