The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

i watched American History X again last night, great film but the ending pisses me off.

love this film

Apparently between "film buffs"....its an awful movie and redic overhyped which ive always found interesting

Edited by gharperr

Ah, looks like they got two current SNL players in Leslie Jones -- essentially a loud, angry black woman who is terrible at acting and only mildly amusing in her stand-up bits -- and Kate McKinnon -- who is actually pretty funny to be fair to her, and also a lesbian in real life, not that that has anything to do with anything just maybe an interesting fact.

Not really surprising considering Wiig used to be on SNL up until a few years ago. She was much better on SNL than she has been in any films she's been in, in my opinion. Still, the fact this has Leslie Jones and Melissa **** McCarthy in it gives me the strong impression this iteration is going to absolutely suck. Aside from the fact it has an uninspiring cast (perhaps minus McKinnon), it's going to be compared to the original films and no one can compare to Bill Murray.

i watched American History X again last night, great film but the ending pisses me off.

love this film

Apparently between "film buffs"....its an awful movie and redic overhyped which ive always found interesting

I think its something to do with the director not being happy with various things and walking away after another guy and ed norton were brought in to make a new cut of this film.

Its not perfect by any means but it a very powerful film and you'll struggle to find someone more committed to a role than ed norton in that film, he scares the shit out of me.

• Like 1

Great fun  :D

Has a streak of positively jet black humour running though it and is really well put together, with some great performances.

WildTales_Poster.jpg

Reviews here.

Inequality, injustice and the demands of the world we live in cause stress and depression for many people. Some of them, however, explode. This is a movie about those people. Vulnerable in the face of a reality that shifts and suddenly turns unpredictable, the characters of Wild Tales cross the thin line that divides civilization and barbarism.
  • Like 2

Just watched Ex Machina and I didn't really buy it. Seems to me as it was trying to be a psychological horror but I don't think any of the central characters were strong enough for it to play. I loved how claustrophobic it was but I just couldn't side with anybody. Beardy man was a one dimensional moustache twirling pantomime villain, computer boy seemed to make stupid decisions simply in order to advance the plot and the AI was, well, a bloody robot. Disappointing.

It actually looks really good IMO

Hmm... I actually think the first trailer was better than that. There's elements there I like though. It's wearing it's Dark Knight Returns influence on its sleeve - the spark that makes Batman come out of retirement is there but this time cleverly linked to a criticism of Man of Steel, there's at least 1 shot that's stolen wholesale from TDKR (the cop car scene, which in the comic happens right as Bruce goes back on the prowl for the first time and basically takes his rage out on any criminals he can find). Interesting to see this is a post-dead Robin Bruce as well - what's the betting Bruce retired when he ended up with the death of his sidekick on his hands? All that's good in that trailer is Affleck and Batman. I actually think Affleck looks intriguingly good here, and I was certainly sceptical.

Otherwise... It's not looking bad at all but didn't wow me. The shoehorning of the Justice League stuff concerns, as Wonder Woman appears to be sticking out like a sore thumb, and all the rest will feel exactly like what it is, desperately trying to kickstart a cinematic universe in 1 movie when Marvel spent 5 films and 4 years doing the same.

The trailer seems to confirm the rumours of who the villain(s) are. Which isn't good as

Doomsday is such a shitty 90s 'badass gritty yeah!' villain that you can't take it seriously. Bane has a similar problem in the Batman stable, only Doomsday is worse as he's effectively a walking Chekhov's gun combined to a breathing critique of Superman being a bit dull because he's too powerful

It's also worth bearing in mind that Zach Snyder can do a couple of things very well. Firstly, he's very adept at putting together striking images. And secondly he knows how to cut a trailer. Combine those and his trailers are usually better than the final movie.

Still, it could certainly be worse and I'm intrigued to see Affleck's take on an older, more mentally broken and vicious Bruce Wayne.

I think that's a pretty harsh judgement to be honest. I don't think Nathan was one-dimensional at all, just a little weird and crazy, which when you're a genius like he is can happen. As for Caleb, he was just a bit naive but I think a lot of his decisions were motivated by him being a good guy and either falling in love with or having sympathy and admiration for Ava.

I really don't know how you can't like Ava though, she was much more than just a robot. She was a robot with trust issues and when she'd been cooped up for that long and was still learning about people and the world, it's no surprise she ends up doing what she does.

I know it's all makey uppey fantasy shite but even within the context of that I can't suspend my disbelief for long enough to pretend that a rich mortal with gadgets would have a hope in hell against what that made up world would have us believe Superman is capable of. It's a laughable premise.

d3c816c3714340a0fce7a0c9f27d434e.jpg

This is gonna be **** terrible

She's a big unit on the left. 

A terrible idea to remake it. Hope it flops

I know it's all makey uppey fantasy shite but even within the context of that I can't suspend my disbelief for long enough to pretend that a rich mortal with gadgets would have a hope in hell against what that made up world would have us believe Superman is capable of. It's a laughable premise.

Batman usually wins ;)

Superman may be incredibly, stupidly, powerful, but he's still a kid from Kansas in his head (usually). Whereas Batman is 'the Worlds Greatest Detective' and massively cynical, manipulative and usually exceptionally well prepared for any encounter they have - it's rarely a toe to toe straight fight between them. Batman usually has a way of evening the stakes - be that manipulating his surroundings, manipulating Clark to his advantage, or in at least one instance, a **** Kryptonite ring in his belt that lets him one punch Clark out of a fight. 

Saying that, this movie is inspired by a comic where they did effectively go toe to toe (with Batman in an Iron Man suit in essence) but even then he had his reasons for going about things that way... Whether this movie even follows that train of thought I've no idea. I'd be surprised if they did.

EDIT - Batman famously defeats Superman in a about 3 different ways in the Hush story arc from comics - he absolutely batters him with the Kryptonite ring, distracting him with a toe to toe fight, then manipulates him in 2 ways at the same time - while they are fighting, Batman has Lois Lane kidnapped, and then threatens to drop her off a skyscraper (which he does), using both the love of his life and the fact that ultimately Superman is a wholly good man against him, Clark being a good man does not believe or even anticipate in any way that Batman is not a good man and will cynically do anything he needs to to bring about what he needs to happen, to the extent he will threaten the life of his friends love to stop him.

Edited by Chindie

The batman v superman trailer is miles better than the teaser but even that trailer feels like a set up for the justice league, it'll start batman v a lex Luther manipulated superman, then batman + Wonder Woman v lex Luther manipulated superman, then end as them 3 v lex Luther with then no doubt some cameos from the others (the under water scene looked a bit obvious)

I liked it overall, do they really need to show the Wayne's death again? That lost me a bit, especially seeing as I think they won't shows robins death they'll just allude to it

Surprisingly fa fleck looks the best thing about the film at the moment

Â