The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

can't be too bothered to watch the last hobbit movie cuz I've heard its just a 3 hour battle scene, my mind turns mushy just thinking about it

It's a 3 hour battle with characters you don't care about because 9 hours of run time wasn't long enough to develop them and CGI that is worse than the battle at the start of the fellowship...

• Like 2

Watched The Salvation tonight

Clearly there was a job lot on ex bond film villains going on that week... A sort of poor mans Unforgiven and the showdown lacked any real drama but it was a decent enough effort and at least it didn't involve a poxy superhero and £100099999383 of cgi

Badlands (1973)

Not sure how i had never seen this film before as i had certainly heard of it and had seen some pretty good reviews about it. Well i can say it was certainly worth the wait.Really good film in my opinion.I enjoyed it so much i would rate it 8/10

• Like 1

Avengers seems to be getting 4/5 stars across the board. A little disappointing.

Looks like Star Wars might win the battle for the highest gross then? (not that Disney care either way)

maybe not, saw something once about the success of Iron Man and what marvel had done, basically they release it now and it gets the whole summer in the cinema, its a tactic that generates huge revenue for them, avengers will stick be on at the cinema in late august

a lot of cinemas doing an Avengers triple bill with Avengers 1 and last Captain America.

Is this just a marketing thing or is their a plot in Captain America I need to see before watching Avengers?

The Winter Soldier plot establishes a fairly big 'universe development' that might jar with people who just skipped from Avengers 1 to 2.

And it's a good film as well, one of the best Marvel films to date.

Its about time these reviewers starting giving honest ratings on these films.

Golden reviews across the board are starting to get on my nerves for these marvel films now, obviously you have to be subjective and not be swayed by whether its your "thing" or not but 5* reviews for the first avengers film is ludicrous if you ask me, I can probably think of hundreds of better films that I have seen in the last 3 years and they certainly weren't all 5*

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

ratings are all so arbitrary and it depends how you judge it, if they think it's the best of it's particular kind or genre then full marks it is. You can't standardise ratings / marks etc for such a diverse medium anyway. 5 stars for citizen kane, 5 stars for Up, 5 stars for The Verdict, 5 stars for Avengers, all completely different films but if you enjoy them all thoroughly for what they achieved, they'll get the same rating. 

Also reviewers need access for interviews and material anyway so certain reviewers will always fluff up some ratings just to avoid pissing off studios. Which is sad. 

Yeah I think you have to take the genre into context when reading reviews and I assume the bigger movie critics like Empire will send a reviewer into a film that's in their category. e..g they are not going to send a lover of modern drama to go review the next Jason Statham movie

Yeah I think you have to take the genre into context when reading reviews and I assume the bigger movie critics like Empire will send a reviewer into a film that's in their category. e..g they are not going to send a lover of modern drama to go review the next Jason Statham movie

Is there really any point reviewing new Statham films now?

i watched homefront last week, wasnt that bad, think he's also in F&F7, he's out of the transporter reboot though

he's worth around $40m and can include kelly brook and rosie huntington-whiteley as his conquests, i doubt he cries himself to sleep over being typecast

Â