The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Anything with Ralph Nathaniel Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, Edward Norton, Russel Crowe & Denzel in I will try to watch. This has lead me to some great films and some unfortunately poor ones. 

Grand Budapest is on the watch list, Noah is not. 

Speaking of russell crow Noah looks like its gonna be a bigger stinker than the man with the iron fists 

not even this can save the sinking ship 

Emma-Watson.jpg

Right, first proper day of unemployment so took the chance to enjoy a lunchtime cinema screening of Under the Skin and two hours later I'm still unsure as to how I feel about it, may even watch it again. It poses interesting questions, though never promises to go through on any them properly, and I spent the filmwondering how I was supposed to respond to it, what was the point, and so on. Although, as dear Scarlet spends a rather pleasant  amount of time in the nip, this wasn't a disaster :P ( Although I'm sure that attitude was supposed to be satirised in the film ) 

It's awkward, visually impressive at times, but just too incoherent overall. From the " she's an alien studying us, we're us trying to study and work out her" thing, there's a bit about isolation and impenetrability of the individual and the real life kerb crawling in Glasgow is novel, I'll give them that, with some very spooky elimination techniques, but it lacked something. A few too many scenes involving gazing, perhaps even some naval-gazing on the part of the director and not more aspects to get your teeth into. Lots of possible questions, no answers but absorbing nonetheless. Disagree with the masterpiece label I've seen elsewhere and whilst I'm still at a loss as to what I make of it, it's worth watching, if you fancy being perplexed, or just want to see Scarlet naked. 

Edited by Rodders

Took myself off to see The Grand Budapest Hotel this afternoon. Brilliant, Absolutely loved it. Willem Defoe just about stole the show, but I agree Fiennes was fantastic.

• Like 3

I've been thinking. Fiennes as Gustave is possibly my favourite performance ever.

Great actor. His performance as Amon Goeth was chilling, yet utterly brilliant. 

Snowpiercer - 8 out of 10... damn where has the hype been for this movie?? Its not out in the UK yet but damn what a movie. Best sci-fi and most original film ive seen in years.

Stars chris evans (captain america), ed harris and tilda swinton. All of civilisation has been wiped out due to a global warming experiment gone wrong except those on a train. The train is divided by the utopian society at the front and the 'gutter' at the back who are punished and kept in line by those in power at the front of the train.

Best comparison to make is hunger games meets old boy meets metropolis. The korean influence from the director is clear to see from the way the movie is shot and the eerie soundtrack. It has the coolness of stoker in the way it was shot and the grittiness of old boy.

I have a feeling this will be a cult classic for many years to come. It has its flaws but I havent seen a sci fi as good as this in years.

Anything with Ralph Nathaniel Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, Edward Norton, Russel Crowe & Denzel in I will try to watch. This has lead me to some great films and some unfortunately poor ones. 

Speaking of russell crow Noah looks like its gonna be a bigger stinker than the man with the iron fists 

Emma-Watson.jpg

She doesn't live too far away.

Emma-Watson.jpg

She doesn't live too far away.

Give me a minute while I grab my cape of...

• Like 1

im still not sure, X3 really was that bad 

for comic films im still going in the order - 

guardians - CA - xmen - spiderman

X3 had Ratner directing. 1st and 2nd movies have Singer, who's also directed DoFP.

Cap: Winter Soldier has been getting very good reviews so far!

Snowpiercer - 8 out of 10... damn where has the hype been for this movie?? Its not out in the UK yet but damn what a movie. Best sci-fi and most original film ive seen in years.

Stars chris evans (captain america), ed harris and tilda swinton. All of civilisation has been wiped out due to a global warming experiment gone wrong except those on a train. The train is divided by the utopian society at the front and the 'gutter' at the back who are punished and kept in line by those in power at the front of the train.

Best comparison to make is hunger games meets old boy meets metropolis. The korean influence from the director is clear to see from the way the movie is shot and the eerie soundtrack. It has the coolness of stoker in the way it was shot and the grittiness of old boy.

I have a feeling this will be a cult classic for many years to come. It has its flaws but I havent seen a sci fi as good as this in years.

I'm an hour into this and I'm not sure about it. It's well made but ridiculous. The director has a strange sense of humour and the tone is weird at times. I thought The Host was much better.

I'm an hour into this and I'm not sure about it. It's well made but ridiculous. The director has a strange sense of humour and the tone is weird at times. I thought The Host was much better.

The director is a genius, memories of murder amongst his 'masterpieces'. I get what you mean though, it is strange and not for every one but I loved that its so twisted. I love korean films and love the fact he has brought a bit of the korean 'weirdness' into hollywood.

X:Men was a bit too much of a comic book movie for my liking.

What I mean is, they came out just before those films got a bit darker and more interesting, and seem a bit tame in comparison now.

XMen 2 is up there with films I've enjoyed the least, ever. Absolute garbage.

Edited by Stevo985

Â