The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I would skip The Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, True Grit & Burn After Reading (from those I've seen).

The Hudsucker Proxy is the only one I've yet to see, so I can't speak for it.

But that leaves 11 (?) films that range from good to brilliant.

Miller's Crossing probably being my favourite.

Miller's Crossing is their masterpiece, in my opinion. Barton Fink is very underrated, but I think it's genius. John Turturro is a maestro.

I hated Miller's Crossing. I've said it in here before.

Dunno why, maybe it's just one of those things. I've watched it twice and still hate it. Just found it incredibly dull.

So as for Coen Brothers films to avoid, I'd say that one, but I appear to be in the minority.

I also didn't like Raising Arizona so I'd say to avoid that one too.

No Country For Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou and Fargo are their finest films (that I've seen) imo.

I thought Burn After Reading was alright, unfairly maligned

I enjoyed it more than No Country  for old men

but I know that is deemed Heresy in some parts :)

Absolutely. I'd rate NCFOM as one of my favourite films.

But I think the Coens have that effect. Some films you get, some you don't.

Like above, everyone says Miller's Crossing is brilliant. I hated it.

. Some films you get, some you don't.

:rant:

not aimed at you but  the "ah you didn't get it " was the line spouted at the time by those who thought it was the greatest film of all time , towards people like me who thought it was a bit meh

maybe i need to watch it again , but I just didn't like it , wasn't a case of not getting it , i thought it tried to be too clever for its own good ... almost like they tried to be QT but failed

I don't mean "you don't get it" in a derogatory way. As in "oh it was too complicated for you"

I mean "you don't get it" as it just doesn't suit your taste. I don't "get" The Only Way Is Essex, but it damn sure aint because it's too complicated or clever.

I just mean I think the Coens make films that click for some people and don't for others. Then their next film might be the polar opposite. The same people who didn't "get" their last film might "get" the new one.

I don't mean "you don't get it" in a derogatory way. As in "oh it was too complicated for you"

I mean "you don't get it" as it just doesn't suit your taste. I don't "get" The Only Way Is Essex, but it damn sure aint because it's too complicated or clever.

I just mean I think the Coens make films that click for some people and don't for others. Then their next film might be the polar opposite. The same people who didn't "get" their last film might "get" the new one.

yeah i appreciate that  wasn't your intent  ...

it was just at the time it was being used by some in here as a sorta stick to beat people with , I wont name names .....  mainly because of Alzheimers   :)

I guess Fight Club is another film I can think of that provokes such polar views in people  ... arguably that's what makes film going so interesting

Yeah, on a side note I do actually like films that are hard to get.

I like having to watch a film twice or read up about it to truly understand what it meant.

But I do agree, there is a fine line between being clever and being too clever. I'd say NCFOM and Fight Club stay the right side of it though, to be fair.

Wolf of Wall Street - 9/10 - awesome, awesome film.

Life of Walter Mitty - 7.5/10 - feel good about yourself.

Last Vegas - 7/10 made me depressed because I want to go back.

The Ice Man - 8/10 Michael Shannon did a brilliant job of R.K's character.

Tonight I'm going to watch The Aviator I think. I was too young when I watched it last time and I didn't really appreciate it.

The cinematography in that movie is outstanding. The different colour styles for the different time periods works a treat.

And Cate Blanchett is soooooo good.

NCFOM is not a typical Coen film though.  I don't think I've ever seen a film so closely follow a book.

It doesn't contain any of their dark and quirky humour that is synonymous with a lot of their films.  

I thought Burn After Reading was alright, unfairly maligned

I enjoyed it more than No Country  for old men

but I know that is deemed Heresy in some parts :)

Ditto.

BAR had me far more engaged than NCFOM. Both good. But BAR better.

A Serious Man > both, IMO.

I love that film because, errr, nothing happens, yet it had me gripped for some reason.

Edited by Jon

Â