The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Put it this way.

If us blokes were to watch "adult films" with the sort of stuff in that's in 50 Shades of Grey, I'd wager women would be beside themselves at how degrading to women it is.

50 shades will (has) gotten the same treatment from certain quarters. It's been drowned out by the sound of millions of others splooshing all over the shop.

I'm biased, my pal calls me "50 shades of David Grey", so obviously I think anything that helps to make dominant/submissive sex more acceptable to society (and available to me!) is a good thing.

Put it this way.

If us blokes were to watch "adult films" with the sort of stuff in that's in 50 Shades of Grey, I'd wager women would be beside themselves at how degrading to women it is.

50 shades will (has) gotten the same treatment from certain quarters. It's been drowned out by the sound of millions of others splooshing all over the shop.

I'm biased, my pal calls me "50 shades of David Grey", so obviously I think anything that helps to make dominant/submissive sex more acceptable to society (and available to me!) is a good thing.

Sounds like your mate's comparing to you a shit musician ;)

Edited by Stevo985

But to end on a light note, when I rang my Mammy up to tell her about it, this is who she thought had directed it 

Steve_McQueen.png

You can see why she'd make the mistake, if he hadn't have died over thirty years ago!!

i saw a review that criticised the film for it! said something like "you'd have thought that the British director would at least have the decency to change his name to Steven in order to avoid confusion"

im glad i saw that review, during the trailers i seriously believed that the real steve mcqueen had risen from the dead after 30 years to finally make his eagerly anticipated black slavery film... 

From what I know of 50 shades of Grey, the sex isn't particularly hardcore. The VAST majority of women want to be dominated in that way, most blokes don't have the balls. That's why they love it. It's our fault.

He ties her up a bit and "makes" her lick cum off the floor. It's hardly Caligula. Not that I'll be watching it of course.

My missus read the first book, she said it was shit. BTW it was free as my sister gave it her.

My sister then gave her the second book, which is still unread and will remain so.

The other half loves Charlie Hunnam and was delighted when he dropped out of the movie version.

From what I know of 50 shades of Grey, the sex isn't particularly hardcore. The VAST majority of women want to be dominated in that way, most blokes don't have the balls. That's why they love it. It's our fault.

He ties her up a bit and "makes" her lick cum off the floor. It's hardly Caligula. Not that I'll be watching it of course.

My missus read the first book, she said she wanted me to DHUTWU

Fixed?

No fer srs, anyone whose other halfs have read it/them had extra kinks in the bedroom since?

Just wondering. Mine ain't read em *

*was looking for a suitable smilie to put here, maybe an angel face or something. There isn't one. So I left it blank. But it looked weird, so I wanted to mention it.

I'm going to marathon some Coen Bros films this week. Think I've only seen 5 or 6 and there looks to be about 20. Any worth avoiding?

Burn After Reading is sub par IMO and Ladykillers is much maligned.

My top three are True Grit, Fargo and No Country for Old Men. Make sure you've caught those.

I would skip The Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, True Grit & Burn After Reading (from those I've seen).

The Hudsucker Proxy is the only one I've yet to see, so I can't speak for it.

But that leaves 11 (?) films that range from good to brilliant.

Miller's Crossing probably being my favourite.

• Like 1

Cool. Gonna start with Llewyn Davis but not sure I'll like it as someone (you?) said it was similar to Serious Man which I thought was meh.

You didnt like True Grit?!

It has similarities to A Serious Man in that it is quite understated and not as plot driven as some of their other films, and in a similar way I went off and thought about the film and realised *just* what was going on. But the similarities do end there. It is funnier, more accessible, and generally a better film.

And yeah, I'm going to rewatch True Grit at some point but I wasn't that impressed first time round. It was well made but very safe.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

'The Man Who Wasn't There' was a good one that I think gets overlooked/underrated by some.

the_man_who_wasn__t_there_poster_by_mark

It also reminds me of one of my favourite poems. "Antigonish" by Hughes Mearns -

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

When I came home last night at three,
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall,
I couldn't see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door...

Last night I saw upon the stair,
A little man who wasn't there,
He wasn't there again today

Oh, how I wish he'd go away....

Sounds like me in the Holte Suite

• Like 2

I would skip The Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, True Grit & Burn After Reading (from those I've seen).

The Hudsucker Proxy is the only one I've yet to see, so I can't speak for it.

But that leaves 11 (?) films that range from good to brilliant.

Miller's Crossing probably being my favourite.

No mention of The big lebowski. That has to be my favourite!

Â