The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

pacific rim

hard to believe a film about giant monsters fighting giant robots could be so daft and full of plot holes...

seriously though i thought it would have been better if it wasnt trying to be a bit silly in places, the 2 doctors for example and stupid things such as -

dragging the boat around to smack the monster about (which was stupidly out of proportion) then going on to fight the 2nd one and the girl saying oh yeah by the way we have a sword on each arm... and those silver balls, stupid scene that added nothing

not a bad film by any stretch but it could have been better

Apart from a few lovely Del Toro flourishes (most of the scenes involving Perlman basically) I thought Pacific Rim was very average. Fight scenes were handled well but the less said about the delivery of the dialogue the better. 

Just got back from Pacific Rim. I absolutely loved it.

The bits I didn't like were:

The formulaic hollywood stuff like the Independence Day speech

Both of them surviving at the end

The science stuff being very thin with them still being in radio contact over a portal to another dimension

The physics being completely out with weights of things, forces etc.

It was basically Top Gun with robots and aliens. Even some of the scenes were identical

But I can forgive all of those because it looks so amazing, and the fight scenes are genuinely engaging.

Gets an 8/10 from me. Some problems, but compare it to something like Transformers to see how bad a movie with giant robots in could be.

• Like 1

Del Toro is one of my favourite directors, I like a lot of his work and I was looking forward to watching Pacific Rim.

And in his own words he described Pacific Rim as "A monumental world creation exercise with attention to detail."

The thing is with Monster/Action films is the size and weight  have to feel right and I think the audience have to care about at least some of those in danger and I'd say Pacific Rim worked in those areas. Some of the line delivery was a bit wooden but I did care about the characters and I did feel a sense of occassion and spectacle whilst watching it.

Del Toro said on the radio he was against putting it in 3D but I thought visually it was one of the the films where the 3D worked and was inclusive where a lot of the times I haven't felt that with 3D.

A lot of people seemed to pick up on the differences between the female characters in comparison to Transformers. I think Del Toro's sensibilites of enthusiasm and humanity help that aspect and make the difference there.

I felt affection in places Transformers felt shallow, for example the Robot and Monster designs appeared to me as if someone (Or more) had thought about what they were doing, how they wanted to present them and put some effort in.

It reminded me a bit of Hell Boy too, not only because of some of the casting but because of the point above.

The two arguing scientists seems to have split audience opinions, I didn't mind them too much, certainly not as much as some people were turned off by them. They were caricatures but I thought that was in keeping with the general tone of the film.

Plus, the fighting scenes and destruction were entertaining :)

Can't think why anyone over the age of 14 would want to watch The Hunger Games, TBH.

Jennifer Lawrence and the hope she "gets them out " was my reason

Tbf I watched it on a plane so didnt go out of my way to see it ......For a bit of mindless fun it was ok , I've certainly seen worse (After Earth for example )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

The Campaign :lol:

I watched that the other night, I hadn't heard very good things but I do quite like Will Ferrell and Zach Galfianakis.

My personal favourite bit...

When they do their first debate and Galfianakis tries to trash talk to Ferrell and Ferrell says: "

You know the difference between your Mom and washing machine? When I dump a load in the washing machine it doesn't follow me around for three weeks."

The Campaign :lol:

I watched that the other night, I hadn't heard very good things but I do quite like Will Ferrell and Zach Galfianakis.

My personal favourite bit...

When they do their first debate and Galfianakis tries to trash talk to Ferrell and Ferrell says: "You know the difference between your Mom and washing machine? When I dump a load in the washing machine it doesn't follow me around for three weeks."

I'm gonna **** his wife. You get my son to call you Dad? I. ****. YOUR. WIFE.

There's a lot of funny dialogue in it though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT1wb8_tcYU

Following Julian Assange and Wikileaks.

Could be good.

Generally love Cumberbatch. But his Aussie accent is slightly off-kilter.

It sounds like he's putting all his effort into maintaining the accent and so hasn't got any emotion left in his voice.

Pacific Rim where do i start

AWESOME/10

I went into the cinema half heartedly desperate not to walk away disappointed

I wasn't

Everything was quality about this movie the characters were top notch Del Toro is a god

My only dislike was there was not enough daytime battles it was very dark

My fave part

When the russian and chinese mech fight side by side exchanging blows with the Kaiju and the music changes from oriental to soviet with every blow

Edited by AshVilla

the characters were top notch

really?

i thought they were horribly cliched and probably the films weakest aspect

the hero who loses his partner

the girl raised by someone else

the guy who is dying and sacrifices himself

the son / daddy issues

the broody mean looking eastern europeans

the quirky scientists

it was independence day level of bad characters

• Like 1

the characters were top notch

really?

i thought they were horribly cliched and probably the films weakest aspect

the hero who loses his partner

the girl raised by someone else

the guy who is dying and sacrifices himself

the son / daddy issues

the broody mean looking eastern europeans

the quirky scientists

it was independence day level of bad characters

In this kind of movie i think the characters not being portrayed as complex was the correct one it is a film aimed at teens after all

Most of Del-Toro's films are the same 

Idris Elba was stunningly motivating as his Lutheresque self i may patent an Alarm Clock with Elba quotes to help me get out of bed in the morning superb

Eh?

Character wise he brings them to the big screen as if he was pulling them straight out of a comic book

Vivid colors but no depth

I did not go in expecting oscar winning performances but it was completely adequate for this type of movie it had emotion when it was needed

Edited by AshVilla

Eh?

Character wise he brings them to the big screen as if he was pulling them straight out of a comic book

Vivid colors but no depth

I did not go in expecting oscar winning performances but it was completely adequate for this type of movie it had emotion when it was needed

On this movie (Pacific Rim) I would agree. Definitely his weakest movie character wise (who needs characters when you have great big monsters fighting with giant robots right?) but on pretty much everything else he's done I would say he has a very keen eye for characterisation.

Â