World of Warcraft

The_Rev

As brilliant as Vanilla WoW was, it had massive issues.

Yeah, I can't imagine taking much pleasure in buying poison mats from a vendor and then creating the different poisons one at a time, lol. There are definitely things they have improved upon, no doubt.

Edited by maqroll

Good post, nobler, I agree with much of what you say. There are some throwaway zones in Vanilla, and while none of the zones in Cata were that great, Jade Forest is an absolute stunner. I can't really say the other MoP zones are particularly mind blowing though. 

But to your larger point, yeah, you're right, players can choose to play however they like. I love the idea of traveling to a summoning stone and doing it old school. Problem is, just about nobody else would find it fun! Most people will take the easiest possible option. And I understand that. 

I suppose for me it probably boils down to not being able to recapture that feeling when I first started the game. No matter if it's a new expansion, cool content, new challenges, nothing will compare to being a low level noob learning the game one mistake at a time with a fun group of people. 

Waxing nostalgic over here...

In the really old days there never even used to be summoning stones.  :ph34r:

I'd love to hear more over a few goblets of mead. 

All it meant was that the daft gits who played Warlock would have to log on an hour before the raid so they could farm 50+ shards before the thing started in order to be able to summon everybody to the instance and dish out healthstones. 

Also Blizzard decided to make all the zones surrounding the raid instances lowbie zones so none of the mobs there would yield soul shards upon death.  :angry:

Some great posts.  You can never recreate the enjoyment from the Vanilla days, but then that's true for most things in life.  The sense of wonder from playing your first multiplayer RPG, and exploring the world is hard to recreate.  The game has changed beyond all recognition, but I really enjoyed the last expansion.  There were some great things in the early days, such as the acheivement of beating raid bosses for the first time, dinging 60 and just messing around with mates, but then were some crap things as well, like trying to get an invite to a 5 man group if you weren't a tank, priest, rouge or mage, trying to find someone with the key at midnight to open UBRS, and then being half an hour walk from the nearest flight path which would normally be full of opposition gankers anyway.

• Like 1

All it meant was that the daft gits who played Warlock would have to log on an hour before the raid so they could farm 50+ shards before the thing started in order to be able to summon everybody to the instance and dish out healthstones. 

Also Blizzard decided to make all the zones surrounding the raid instances lowbie zones so none of the mobs there would yield soul shards upon death.   :angry:

Yuk

I know most of you guys are/were Horde, but I rolled a human rogue. My reasoning was I wanted the experience to be closest to what an actual human being might experience in the world, hehe...I wanted to be able to relate somehow to the character's world.

Elwynn Forest and the music there is just beautiful. Entering that mine for the first time to kill kobolds was a thrill, lol. Doesn't sound so great now though, right? But then it was SOOOOO cool. Who cares if I was a rogue and was wearing a cloth robe until I was a level 10?  :blush:

As brilliant as Vanilla WoW was, it had massive issues.

The best thing about the game at that time was that it was fresh, fun and it was most peoples first look at an MMO.

Above all else though, it was the fact you could log on at most times of the day and there would be 3-4 (minimum) other people from VT online who you could group up with. We had some great times.

I've re-subbed / quit numerous times now but the first few times I quit it was mostly because I thought it had lost the allure those first 6 months / year had. Eventually though, I came to realise that time will NEVER come back (in this or in other MMO's) and you either accept the game for what it is today or you quit for good. I've found since accepting the Vanilla days are long gone, that my enjoyment of the game has increased.

Our BG experiences were awesome Si, even if we did mostly suck balls.

• Like 1

I remember my buddy and I did Arathi Basin for the first time and had NO idea what the hell was going on. We just ran around trying not to get attacked, lol

Edited by maqroll

I remember Deadmines for the very first time, I hadn't quite grasped the concept of an instance, think I just rolled Need on everything and was a general pain in the arse. The moment when you opened the door to the large cave with the ship made my jaw drop though. Great moment. 

• Like 1

You never used to be able to roll on items either. You just had to say whether you needed it in chat and hope the master looter didn't stitch you.  :D

I thought you could always choose if it was master loot or group loot at the start?  Although I think the master looter could change this halfway through, so do raid rolls up until something decent dropped, then change the rules, ninja the loot and **** off!

Group loot was in the game when we started to play, but the person who put the group together would make themselves master looter before a boss.  There was no in game tool to roll for and distribute loot so people used to say N or NN in chat before anybody who did need would /roll and the master looter would give them the reward or "accidentally" give it to their mate who lost the roll.  It was bullshit really. 

I remember Deadmines for the very first time, I hadn't quite grasped the concept of an instance, think I just rolled Need on everything and was a general pain in the arse. The moment when you opened the door to the large cave with the ship made my jaw drop though. Great moment. 

Haha, I remember dying in Deadmines for the first time and running back through the confusing maze, searching frantically for the little brown coffin. I logged off out of frustration/embarrassment, and when I logged back in a few hours later, I was still dead, and still lost, lol. I took out a GM ticket. They said I had to enter the instance. I said, "What's an instance?"

:lol:  :blush:

Edited by maqroll

Haha, I remember dying in Deadmines for the first time and running back through the confusing maze, searching frantically for the little brown coffin. I logged off out of frustration/embarrassment, and when I logged back in a few hours later, I was still dead, and still lost, lol. I took out a GM ticket. They said I had to enter the instance. I said, "What's an instance?"

:lol:  :blush:

My very first character was a human warrior. I was level 10 and decided to stop questing and explore for a while so I headed towards the Wetlands. I got lost and didn't know how to get back so I deleted my character and made a new one because I didn't have a clue what the hearthstone was. RIP Phumfeinz I. You never had a chance.

Edit: I remember I started playing it when Revenge of the Sith came out, so like, May 19th 2005 or something.

Edited by Phumfeinz

I remember doing the Barrens instance, and being utterly baffled at what I was supposed to do.  It was my first experience of doing things in a PUG, and it was a while before I tried again.  I didn't understand why all the mobs were taking ages to die!

Â