The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

It's basically Barca doing a United and appointing Ole. Knowing they won't compete anytime soon and hiring a likeable legend to deflect the attention. 

The squad is in a bad place and they have serious money issues. The youngsters won't solve that for them completely. 

I don't see them winning La Liga in the next few years let alone doing well in Europe. 

True, except I think Xavi could have more about him as a manager than Solskjaer, based on nothing other than Solskjaer being extremely limited and remembering Xavi as the heart and brains of the best team I’ve ever seen. 

5 minutes ago, El Zen said:

True, except I think Xavi could have more about him as a manager than Solskjaer, based on nothing other than Solskjaer being extremely limited and remembering Xavi as the heart and brains of the best team I’ve ever seen. 

So more of a Frank Lampard or Diego Maradona type 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Not sure I see it myself but maybe. Feel he'd already be working somewhere more impressive if he was any good. 

Side note but I lost respect for him when I found out he was managing in Al Sadd and helping to represent Saudi sports. He's not the only ex pro selling out to them though. 

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Not sure I see it myself but maybe. Feel he'd already be working somewhere more impressive if he was any good. 

Side note but I lost respect for him when I found out he was managing in Al Sadd and helping to represent Saudi sports. He's not the only ex pro selling out to them though. 

Oh, absolutely. Respect is long gone, on a personal level.

Could be a matter of right timing in terms of getting his managerial career started. It’s far from a safe bet, but it’ll be interesting to see if he can recreate some of the culture and football style he knows better than anyone. 

11 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Great player but Xavi was always a piece of shit. Moaning at teams like Rangers for not allowing Barcelona to attack 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Great player but Xavi was always a piece of shit. Moaning at teams like Rangers for not allowing Barcelona to attack 

Moaning about Rangers is inherently never wrong, though 😉

Edited by El Zen
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Barcelona (and everyone else) are hoping for the next Guardiola. Ex player with little experience goes in and becomes a star manager.

See Lampard, Arteta, Solskjaer.

Ireland tried before all of them with Steve Staunton 😂

11 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Barcelona (and everyone else) are hoping for the next Guardiola. Ex player with little experience goes in and becomes a star manager.

See Lampard, Arteta, Solskjaer.

Strange how Zidane rarely gets mentioned when this comes up. 

Probably because to a lot of people he seems to be a bit of a mystery on if he's a success or not. The Champs League wins say he is but seemingly failed in La Liga and is described as more of a motivator then tactician. 

52 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Strange how Zidane rarely gets mentioned when this comes up. 

Probably because to a lot of people he seems to be a bit of a mystery on if he's a success or not. The Champs League wins say he is but seemingly failed in La Liga and is described as more of a motivator then tactician. 

Did he fail in La Liga? He won 2 league titles in 4 full seasons 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Did he fail in La Liga? He won 2 league titles in 4 full seasons 

No in his last season but even with the success its hard to judge him as a manager. I'd like to see him get the Man U job and see what he does there. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No in his last season but even with the success its hard to judge him as a manager. I'd like to see him get the Man U job and see what he does there. 

I think it’s been mentioned before that he doesn’t speak very much English, is that accurate?

I know people like Bielsa have got by at Leeds but I’d assume United would want someone with a better grasp of the English language.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think it’s been mentioned before that he doesn’t speak very much English, is that accurate?

I know people like Bielsa have got by at Leeds but I’d assume United would want someone with a better grasp of the English language.

Just learn the language then. I suspect hes not as motivated to be a great manager like Pep is. 

Just now, PaulC said:

Just learn the language then. I suspect hes not as motivated to be a great manager like Pep is. 

Me too. He’s rich and successful enough already. I’ve never heard him tout himself for any jobs at all. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

He doesn't speak any English apparently. He is waiting for the Juventus or France job

Why should he bother though, Zidane always seemed a comfort guy in that he probably doesn’t really care that much about football yet still a success

• Like 1

Get well soon Sergio

Barcelona have announced that Sergio Aguero will not play for three months after suffering chest pains against Alaves on Saturday.

The ex-Manchester City striker, 33, had cardiological tests in hospital after being taken ill.

Aguero will now receive treatment while his health is monitored.

The club said: "During the next three months, the effectiveness of treatment will be evaluated in order to determine his recovery process."

Aguero received treatment for several minutes on the pitch before being taken to hospital. 

The former Manchester City striker was making just his second start for Barcelona after sustaining an injury in pre-season.

He joined the Spanish giants on a two-year deal in the summer after a 10-year spell at City, during which he became the club's all-time leading scorer with 260 goals in 390 games.

Link

Â