The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I understand a ban but that was never a slap and 8 games is harsh.

8 games is very light given his petulant behaviour. It's impossible for a manager to act like that and then expect his players to behave on the pitch. A man devoid of any dignity or manners.

Edited by villa89

• 1 month later...

If only there were other ways to watch it eh?   The blackout rule is a power for the good of the game, and I'll be **** if we get rid of it so people can watch the two richest clubs another country play each other for the 87th time this calendar year. 

Yep, he has scored in every game he has played in so far: 

vs Cordoba - W 2-0 1 goal

vs Atleti - L 1-2 1 goal

vs La Coruna - W 8-2 3 goals

vs Elche - W 5-1 4 goals

vs Villareal - W 2-0 1 goal

vs Athletic (Bilbao) - W 5-0 3 goals

vs Levante - W 5-0 2 goals 

He missed the 4-2 defeat to Sociedad with injury. 

Bale has 4 in 7 (3 assists) in the league for Real Madrid so far, so it appears he is continuing his good form from last season too.  It's odd that (as far as I can tell) the jury is still out on him amongst Madrid fans. His fee was huge and he is never going to get the number of goals Ronaldo is getting, the Madrid side is set up to get the most out of Ronaldo. Bale has to play second fiddle to him because of that, not everything is going through him like it did at Spurs so he tends not to dominate games.  He is such an explosive player that he can produce moments of brilliance from nothing though, he can be having a quiet game then carry the ball 60 yards and put it on a plate for a teammate or spank one into the top corner from 25 yards.

I'm just happy to see a British lad succeeding in a high pressure at a situation at a big overseas club because it's been a while since that happened. Who was the last one before Bale who was a success? McManaman?  Beckham did okay, he had a fantastic second half to his final season at Madrid and was arguably the reason they won the title that year but he didn't really pull any trees up before that. Owen was played out of position because Raul appeared to feel threatened by him and used his influence in the dressing room against Owen (reminds me a bit of the current situation with Casillas, maybe Madrid do have issues with players who consider themselves to be bigger than the club) and Woodgate was just a disaster, so fair play to Bale, he has a lot of expectations on his shoulders and he is doing well. 

Edited by The_Rev

think Madrid fans took to Bale at end of last season his goals in the cup final and Champions League win made him a hero.

as for British players abroad hargreaves was probably the biggest success since 2000

they also kicked his car outside the ground after the atletico defeat...

i can see what bale does, agree with what the rev says, id add that he offers balance, ronaldo down one side, bale the other, i think he can read the game and especially the counter attack, its rodriguez thats upset the apple cart, didnt need him, will be a great shame if madrid dont do anything this year and for whatever reason the knives come out for bale

a agree about owen too, very harsh that he gets labelled as "failed" in madrid, he never really stood a chance

Â