Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?

maqroll

Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?

• Yes, Refs Get It Wrong Too Often
    • No, Don't Mess With Tradition

I'm in favour of goal line technology only. I think any other video replays will mess with the mechanics of the game too much.Whether the ball goes over the line or not is a 'yes' or a 'no'. Calling a foul or penalty is often as much down to interpretation as anything. . If you take the decision away from the referee, refereeing could be in danger of becoming even more inconsistent.

Yes, but in very limited circumstances. Such as against Hull for example.

I think the fact that people don't know for sure whether video evidence was used on Tuesday shows that it doesn't cause massive breaks in the game and ruin it. Didn't take much time to make the decision.

I'm in favour of goal line technology only. I think any other video replays will mess with the mechanics of the game too much.Whether the ball goes over the line or not is a 'yes' or a 'no'. Calling a foul or penalty is often as much down to interpretation as anything. . If you take the decision away from the referee, refereeing could be in danger of becoming even more inconsistent.

See stopping the game for that is fine IF the ball does cross the line, if the ball doesn't cross the line however what happens?

Some of these ball / line decisions are replayed time and time again before people come to a correct decision, it can take an age

What happens if the ball doesnt cross the line, its still in play but the ref will have stopped the game to get a decision, how does the game then restart? The obvious answer would be a drop ball as no one has done wrong. Where should the drop ball take place? In the centre circle? well thats not fair on the attacking team, they've lost ground. At the penalty spot of the correct box? Well thats not fair on the defending team, to have to potentially defend again something which apparently they'd already succesfully defended.

Se the thing is once the technology and the ability to use it is in place, refs will rely on it more and more, even for cases which they were 95% sure anyway.

Nah give me human error anyday. What we need is better refs

^^ (bickster) I agree

I enjoy everything about football, from the great play to the controversy which means that no game is ever the same. Why would we instill something which has the potential to dramatically change the game for the worse

What we need is better refs

In an ideal world.

I think implementing goalline technology would be difficult. In most cases, the ball gets cleared off the line and into to saftey. I hadn't thought of the potential to give an advantage in the case of an unsuccessful dispute though...

Playing on would'nt be fair on the attacking team (in case the defending team breaks and scores)

Stopping play is the only way to do it, but when? When the defending team regains possession of the ball maybe? In which case the attacking team have had an opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net and save a dispute, and the defending team don't gain any advantage from the dispute.

Just a suggestion.

NO NO AND NO

for the simple reason that you would have to stop the game artifically for most descions to call in a video ref and how would it be done because in other sports that use there are natural breaks in the games to allow this, in football there is not

also frankly ref mistakes are fun and part of the game, they get the vast majority right anyway and it makes for brilliant discussions and there is nothing like slagging off a ref

goal line technolgy is different as that would shwo immediately if the ball crosses the line

My only concern is it will go the way of Rugby, where the referee will go to the video for everything because he is shit scared of making a decision.

and cricket Rev ...

football is a flowing game, say teh ref thinks there is a foul for a penalty but the defenders go on a 5 vs 2 breakaway waht does he do

stops the game to check the penalty ?

then fuinds out it was no penalty and the defensive team may lose a chance to score a match winning pen

the only circumstance is goal line tech

Problem is it becomes the thin end of the wedge. Thats my main problem with it. I dont mind it being used for goal line stuff, but when it comes it it will just get used for more and more stuff until we reach a point where it gets used to decide which way a throw in should go.

It should be used, with a challenge system similar to the nfl. Yes it would slow the game down, but that way it could only happen a maximum number of times a game and there should be a punishment for an incorrect challenge such as losing a substitution in your next game or something to discourage challenging willy nilly.

don't think so as it only stops the game when a goal has been scored as now

nothing else is even feasible because it means stopping the game artifically

What if the decision was that it wasn't a goal, the game has ben stopped artificially for something that didn't happen (see my previous post)