Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?

maqroll

Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?

• Yes, Refs Get It Wrong Too Often
    • No, Don't Mess With Tradition

I voted yes. It's about time football woke up sorted itself out. There are many ways to implement the technology. How about having the 4th official on the pitch and the ref high up with the video screens? Then the ref on the pitch makes decisions as per normal and the guy in the stands can give him info as he sees fit, overruling on occasion.

I voted yes. It's about time football woke up sorted itself out. There are many ways to implement the technology. How about having the 4th official on the pitch and the ref high up with the video screens? Then the ref on the pitch makes decisions as per normal and the guy in the stands can give him info as he sees fit, overruling on occasion.

Thats exactly how I see it,

so it takes 10 secs to get a replay up and by then the other team has scored, what do you do ?

and look at some video replays often peopel disagree 50/50 whether something is a pen or not

you would be stopping every time there is a corner

unfeasible

I'm in favour of goal line technology only. I think any other video replays will mess with the mechanics of the game too much.Whether the ball goes over the line or not is a 'yes' or a 'no'. Calling a foul or penalty is often as much down to interpretation as anything. . If you take the decision away from the referee, refereeing could be in danger of becoming even more inconsistent.

See stopping the game for that is fine IF the ball does cross the line, if the ball doesn't cross the line however what happens?

Some of these ball / line decisions are replayed time and time again before people come to a correct decision, it can take an age

What happens if the ball doesnt cross the line, its still in play but the ref will have stopped the game to get a decision, how does the game then restart? The obvious answer would be a drop ball as no one has done wrong. Where should the drop ball take place? In the centre circle? well thats not fair on the attacking team, they've lost ground. At the penalty spot of the correct box? Well thats not fair on the defending team, to have to potentially defend again something which apparently they'd already succesfully defended.

Se the thing is once the technology and the ability to use it is in place, refs will rely on it more and more, even for cases which they were 95% sure anyway.

Nah give me human error anyday. What we need is better refs

Let's say that that Hull game determined whether or not Villa finished in fourth place, and they WERE awarded a penalty, which was converted, putting Villa out of the Champions League.

Would you still be steadfastly against it?

Nope, refs will always make mistakes....stopping the game will spoil the flow of the sport. Just cut out the REALLY terrible decisions by training the refs better, and choosing the right characters....a lot of refs are weak. Retrospective TV evidence and the ability to overturn yellows will make the refs job a lot easier too.

no it wouldn't Ben, a manager could issue a challenge in the last minute to stop a breakaway or an attack looking liek they could lose the game, losing a sub would mean **** all then

the other sports challenges happen at a natural stoppage, between an over or a down

no it wouldn't Ben, a manager could issue a challenge in the last minute to stop a breakaway or an attack looking liek they could lose the game, losing a sub would mean **** all then

the other sports challenges happen at a natural stoppage, between an over or a down

They'd have to make som erules for it, like a challenge doesn't stop play, it's reviewed when the ball next goes out or something.

Also, if the punishment for a wrong challenge was good enough they wouldn't do it willy nilly.

As far as I can see it's the ONLY way that will work to introduce full video reffing without slowing the game down for every decision.

It's a compromise. It allows the officials to look at video evidence but limits them to a few times a game. The manager can't complain because he gets to choose when he challenges a decision.

As I said, I don't see any way you can introduce using video for decisions working apart from this one.

Furthermore, in the NFL, the last 2 minutes of the game the coaches can't challenge. The officials can choose to review a decision if they want, but the managers can't challenge in that last few minutes. That could solve your problem Ian.

It's all about compromise. We can't go on with no technology, yet using it for EVERY decision just isn't feasible.

so it takes 10 secs to get a replay up and by then the other team has scored, what do you do ?

and look at some video replays often peopel disagree 50/50 whether something is a pen or not

unfeasible

Ian you're catastrophising again! If you use it sensibly it can help; if you can't tell instantly from the video evidence then you go with the decision made on the pitch. Often for dodgy decisions you could get the correct decision to the ref even before the players have run up to the ref to complain. There are times when it could help and there are times when it won't, but to dismiss the whole idea based on one nightmare scenario is not doing the debate justice.

yes we can Ben, there is no reason anyone has gave for it

to use if only for some descions and others is mad

for exampel a goal is scored but about 30 seconds earlier that was a possibe foul not given, do you go back that far ?

I'd agree with the Rev, it'll set a precedent that will only lead to it slowly becoming part of every decision. Implement goal line tech, and then a few instances of... a dodgy corner for example, will lead to big results and so on, and people will say 'Hey, we've got this tech for the goal line, lets have it for corners, mistakes are being made and it's costing teams'. And so on. Implementing it for one thing will the little push to get the whole thing on the slippery slope to tech for every decision.

Besides, the debate of bad decisions and the like is part and parcel of the game. It would sterilise the game if there was never that talking point in a match. Bicks is right, just make sure that the refs are better. And make sure the influence on them is reduced, best example being the wrath of the drunk Scot.

You could chip the ball to see if it goes over the line.

As for penalty descisions. If a ref gives a decision shouldn't he be allowed to confirm it with Video evidence since the game has stopped. Like a ref thinks it's a penalty but gets confirmation. That doesn't slow the game.

Also two extra officials behind the goals is another great idea.

unfeasible

Ian you're catastrophising again! If you use it sensibly it can help; if you can't tell instantly from the video evidence then you go with the decision made on the pitch. Often for dodgy decisions you could get the correct decision to the ref even before the players have run up to the ref to complain. There are times when it could help and there are times when it won't, but to dismiss the whole idea based on one nightmare scenario is not doing the debate justice.

football is a free flowing game, the scanrios I give happen all the time, take ours on Tuesday say the ball had bounced off the cross bar and into play with their goalkepper out and Petrov had shot from 60 yards and scored

it has happened before ...

You could chip the ball to see if it goes over the line.

As for penalty descisions. If a ref gives a decision shouldn't he be allowed to confirm it with Video evidence since the game has stopped. Like a ref thinks it's a penalty but gets confirmation. That doesn't slow the game.

Also two extra officials behind the goals is another great idea.

as I said goal line I have no real issue with

as for pens if the ref is not clear it is not a pen, the game only stops when he is sure it is

therefor you are saying stopping game to find out if there is a fould and fi not how do you restart it given the attackig team are obviously with a massive advantage