Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?

maqroll

Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?

• Yes, Refs Get It Wrong Too Often
    • No, Don't Mess With Tradition

No I'm saying the ref sees a foul in the box and give a penalty. So the game is stopped he then gets a video ref to confirm the decision before giving the spot kick. This can eliminate wrongly giving a penalty but it can't help with penalties not given.

Wrongly having a penalty decision against you is worse than not getting a penalty.

We can't go on with no technology

Eh.. why not?

We've managed this long. Maybe you'd prefer to watch a different sport.

Apologies, I meant we can't go on without technology because of the weight of protest behind it, i.e. so many people want to see it introduced, the only way to stop it is to give them something.

I'd be more than happy for it to go on as it is

yes we can Ben, there is no reason anyone has gave for it

to use if only for some descions and others is mad

for exampel a goal is scored but about 30 seconds earlier that was a possibe foul not given, do you go back that far ?

That's something they'd have to work out, I think they could.

Using it for some decisions and not others is perfect in my opinion. It means the technology is there, if a manager wants to dispute a decision he can. However it means it isn't used for every foul or every offside and so leaves in some of the magic of human error.

It would also solve another fundamental problem with video refereeing that slows games down. In Rugby League for example, every try more or less goes to a video decision. The referee is absolved of responsibility, i.e. he doesn't really need to make a decision.

With the challenge method, the referee will still make a decision.

I still think there is a place for video assistance in the Premiership. Not bother it wouldn't work all the way down the leagues. Its the pinnacle of the sport and we should try and make it as fair as possible. So I'd go with a trial off 2 refs, on pitch and video.

The on pitch ref blows to stop play, if the video ref can see that the on pitch ref has got it wrong, then let him communicate the evidence to him. Allowing the ref to amend his decision.

If the on pitch ref has not blown and the video ref sees that he has missed something completely then again he can communicate it to the on pitch ref who can then blow up and bring play back to the point needed.

Play only stops on the field of play when the on field ref blows his whistle. Players and Fans could not argue about play being brought back or decisions being changed as they will always be done because of video evidence and so the correct one.

In a scenario in say, something is missed and play continues and someone then commits a professional foul. The ref blows to book or send off a player and then hears about the prior evidence. Then I would give the on field ref the power to decide if the 2nd offence is still punished. i.e. still send off the player.

I quite like the fact that the game of football is pretty much exactly the same at all levels, ages and countries. A veeeeeery very small percentage of the world's football games would have the luxury of video replays whilst the other 99.9999999999999999% were stuck with lady luck.

I'd rather keep it how it is. However frustrating that can be.

hang on though say the ref blew for a pen just as the ball was cleared to an attacker like Gabby or Young one on one, how do you restart if not a pen ?

how about if the replay is inconclusive ?

Well it's better than the ref giving a wrong decision resulting in a penalty. The game can be restarted somehow that's not that important. The important thing is bad penalty decisions like the Hull match could be avoided most of the time.

As for inconclusive, the ref has given a penalty. The video official only has to tell him if there is any reason he can't give the penalty. So if video evidence is inconclusive the penalty is awarded.

Find the fault with that?

I quite like the fact that the game of football is pretty much exactly the same at all levels, ages and countries. A veeeeeery very small percentage of the world's football games would have the luxury of video replays whilst the other 99.9999999999999999% were stuck with lady luck.

Another great point.

The game of football does not need alteration.

If the on pitch ref has not blown and the video ref sees that he has missed something completely then again he can communicate it to the on pitch ref who can then blow up and bring play back to the point needed.

Play only stops on the field of play when the on field ref blows his whistle. Players and Fans could not argue about play being brought back or decisions being changed as they will always be done because of video evidence and so the correct one.

I can't agree with that. It would turn the game into a farce. I think only in big decisions the ref has made ie. Penalty or Red Card then a video official can assist as the game has been stopped and a match changing decision is being made. That and goal line technology is all that is needed.

Missing that stone wall penalty isn't as bad as giving a penalty for an excellent tackle or a blatant dive.

thats is right mate and it is part of fottball and should always be

the other sports with video replays are too clinical

How could a video official be bad in a situation like the Hull match? Ref says check thats a hand ball please. Video ref checks and says nope, goal kick. Simple and faster than the farce that actually happened. Confidence in refs would go up as people know that the big decisions will be checked.

well if the video evidence is inconclusive that is worse !!

BTW CV what reasons are you for this ?

we have always had wrong descions, replays have been around for decades so why are you in favour ?

If it's inconclusive then the decision can't be given, whatever it was. Penalty, goal, throw in, corner, whatever. If it's inconclusive then it isn't given, that's how it is in other sports.

we have always had wrong descions, replays have been around for decades so why are you in favour ?

How is it worse? The ref has blown for a penalty and asks the video ref if there's any reason why I can't give this. If the video ref can't find a reason for the ref not to give it, then it's given. It was going to be given anyway. The video ref just removes most of the incorrect decisions.

As for my reasons I'd like teams to win matches on the merit of their teams ability, not on erronious ref decisions.

Wayne Rooney dived to win a penalty that cost Arsenal 50 games unbeaten in a row, a quick check with a video ref would have changed this huge decision and the course of that season could possibly have been different. United cheated to win a match and I poersonally believe thats wrong.

If it's inconclusive then the decision can't be given, whatever it was. Penalty, goal, throw in, corner, whatever. If it's inconclusive then it isn't given, that's how it is in other sports.

Yes, if the official can't see a penalty then he will say no penalty. Any discrepancies will be tight calls and will happen but it's better than losing a match to a cheat like Gerrard diving when a quick check to the video ref says, booking and no penalty.

Good point

Wayne Rooney dived to win a penalty that cost Arsenal 50 games unbeaten in a row, a quick check with a video ref would have changed this huge decision and the course of that season could possibly have been different. United cheated to win a match and I poersonally believe thats wrong.

Technically I agree, but if you think about it Arsenal almost certainly cheated at some point during that run of 50 to win them a game they shouldn't have won.

then we have stopped the game artifically

As for my reasons I'd like teams to win matches on the merit of their teams ability, not on erronious ref decisions

so like we won against Hull and West Ham ??

a ref descion this season as far as I can think of has not cost us this season

bad defending from long throwins has however

How have we stopped the game arteficially Ian? The ref has blown for a penalty and the video ref either confirms his decision or corrects him. This stops most bad penalty decisions and there is no downside as the games has already been stopped by the ref as would happen currently.

As for decisions againstr us I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about football in general. Too many poor penalty decisions have cost teams in huge matches these poor decisions could be eliminated without any slowing down of the game.