Running

trimandson

14 miles this morning, my longest ever run. Took me 2h8m and my legs are a little stiff but feeling ok and confident about my first half marathon in 2 weeks!

Thanks for that :lol:

Well done, thats some serious running.

just did my 1st proper run for about 5 years...

distance: 1.86 miles/3km

average speed: 7.26m/h

fastest: 9.65m/h

time: 15m 25s

how is that for starters? i got a stitch after 2 minutes but i soldiered on till the end, i could do a lot better without it!

second run, same route tonight..

distance: 1.90miles/3.05km

average speed: 8.22mph / 13.23km/h

fastest: 10.44mph / 16.80km/h

time: 13m 51s

so i beat my time comfortably, but never again will i eat a burger 5 minutes before, i felt like death!

That's very, very fast. Too fast I'd say unless you're going for short, sharp runs.

Have you tried any long distance runs?

im going to move up to 5km soon, i work as a postie so my body is finding it a bit tough to move up to running long distance. that was my second run in about 5 years, so ill move up to a longer distance when im back in the swing of things :)

14 miles this morning, my longest ever run. Took me 2h8m and my legs are a little stiff but feeling ok and confident about my first half marathon in 2 weeks!

Hey, if I can run 14 miles anyone can! When I started training in Sept last year it was the first exercise I'd done in years, and I couldn't run even half a mile then! And it's not an exaggeration, I really didn't have the fitness to do that!!

Hey, if I can run 14 miles anyone can! When I started training in Sept last year it was the first exercise I'd done in years, and I couldn't run even half a mile then! And it's not an exaggeration, I really didn't have the fitness to do that!!

How far would you normally run?

I'm gonna keep on my 4.6k Route for about a month and then move up to a 10.3k. This is easily the best site for mapping.

I Could have just doubled the first route but I'd much rather a circuit than laps.

I'm gonna keep on my 4.6k Route for about a month and then move up to a 10.3k. This is easily the best site for mapping.

I Could have just doubled the first route but I'd much rather a circuit than laps.

Too big a jump. Add 1 to 2 km per week.

Yeah, same here more or less. I started off with a mile, a gruelling mile. 3 weeks later and I'm running five at a reasonable beginners pace as well. It just suddenly clicks, your lungs find a way to work more efficiently and your legs can handle the pain. Slower and further is the best way to start in my view, it's easier to increase the pace when youre used to the distance rather than the other way around because you know psychologically that you can do it.

Keep it up guys.

My first London run yesterday. 7km in 45 minutes, pretty good concidering I didn't have a **** clue where I was going. Ended up in Stamford Hill which is a big Jewish area, on a Saturday (their sabbath) Quite an interesting run

I normally do 4 or 5 miles two evenings a week, and a longer run (8-12 miles) at the weekend, although once I've done my half I'll start cutting back a little bit because the girlfriend gets annoyed with me spending so much time out.

I wouldn't try to increase in that big of a jump! I normally only went up in increments of about a mile and I think that works better.

Gait machine showed my foot doesn't plant down correctly on my left (not fully) which is giving me that awful pain and causing the shin sharp pain, so they have ordered my trainers, £95 be here this week, they had a pair there already but they were a test pair and I felt so much better with them on, so will be back out this week :)

Re: trainers, I'm reading a very interesting book (Factory Girls by Leslie Chang) right now and I thought I'd share a paragraph or two with you all.

If you wear athletic shoes, chances are that you have worn a pair that was made at the Yue Yuen factory in Dongguan. The Taiwanese-owned factory is the biggest manufacturer for Nike, Adidas, and Reebok, along with smaller brands like Puma and Asics, all of whom stopped making shoes years ago and farmed out production to factories that could do it more cheaply. Yue Yuen's secret is vertical integration: it controls every step of the manufacturing process - from initial design to making glues, soles, molds, and lasts to cutting, stitching and assembling the finished products. One-third of the world's shoes are made in Guangdong province, and the Yue Yuen plant is the biggest of them all.

70,000 people work at its Dongguan factory. Imagine the entire population of Santa Fe, New Mexico, under the age of 30 and engaged in making athletic shoes. Inside the compound's brick walls, workers sleep in factory dorms and eat in factory cafeterias and shop at factory commissaries. Yue Yuen runs a kindergarten (:shock:) for employees' children and a hospital with a 150-member staff; it has a movie theater and a performance troupe, volunteer activities and English classes. It operates its own power plant :shock: and fire department, and sometimes the city of Dongguan borrows Yue Yuen's firetruck ladder, the tallest one around, to put out fires. Yue Yuen bottles its own water. Locals will tell you that it grows its own food, which is not true, although the company at one point contracted with farmers in the area to guarantee its food sources. Nothing short of apocalypse could cut off the world's supply of what the industry calls "branded athletic footwear."

This seems a good place to post my injury, i'm training for a 10km run which im doing the end of March, I have been running 3-4km twice a week for a while, but have upped it to focus on this 10km run.

Last Thursday I ran 6.5km in 41 minutes, on Sunday I ran 7.1km in 45 minutes.

I was hoping to do another run today but my thighs are hurting, i'm hoping to go tomorrow but don't think I can. I could push myself and probably do 3-4km tomorrow but I know this pain will be there after i've ran.

Anyone else ever had this problem? I presume it's quite common, any advice?

^^^^^^ How much are you stretching? And how much water do you drink? Also, hot baths help with the tight muscles.

I am getting more and more nervous about the Gate River Run I am doing. But hopefully I won't die.

Did my first run of my bid to get back up to a 10k race today. Did 3 miles in just under half an hour. Not too bad.

My running shoes are awful though. They kill me. Really need to get some new ones.

Cheers ME, I do a stretch before and after my workout, but I dont drink that much water, so i'll drink more and try the bath thing. Will give it a go :)

Good luck with your run.

No problem. And thank you :)

And Stevo, be careful that your feet don't cramp up from the bad shoes.

I'm BAAAACK. :D

Did my old 6km route there with the excellent run keeper app to keep track of it and there's been no adverse effect of my achilles. Also I was tanking along, fitness levels remain. I did it in 26mins which is well in the sub 45min 10k pace.

Well happy. I love running, nothing feels as good as when you're cruising along and feel like you will never get tired. :)

Â