Running

trimandson

Funny Running Story.

My boss is training for a marathon he's doing in May.

The past few weeks he's been getting really irate and annoyed that no matter how hard or long he runs on a Saturday, he can't get any further than around 10 or 11 miles.

He has an app on his phone that tracks how far he's run, but he turns it on at the start, runs until he can't run anyymore, then checks how far he ran.

So he went out on Saturday, ran for 2 hours and 50 minutes, was sure he'd run further than ever, got home and checked, and it said he'd run 10.6 miles.

He was furious, so got into his car and drove the exact route (he lives in a rural area so it's all country lanes).

Turns out it was 19.1 miles!

he assumes the GPS in his phone cut out at various times so didn't track him properly, which is why it always capped him at around 10 or 11 miles.

God knows how long he's been running really far without realising. But all of a sudden he's in great spirits!

Considering when he started he was concerned that even if he completed the run, he wouldn't be able to do it within the 6 hour time limit, to now be doing 19 miles in under 3 hours is pretty impressive.

My running: I played football on Friday and got horrible cramp in both calves in the first half, but carried on and finished the game. So needless to say, when I came to run on Saturday my legs were in a bad way.

So I only did 3 miles instead of my target of 4 miles. So a bit disappointed. But I did manage it quicker than I've run it since I started training, so I'm slowly getting there.

Per usual....you wasted no time.

ROB! I am really happy about this so could the boob comment at least be second to a congratulations?!

#1. FANTASTIC! You did really well.

#2. FANTASTIC! Boooooobs! :lol::lol::lol:

People want me to sign up for http://theoriginalmudrun.com/

I don't see it happening. But I'll find something else soon.

Stevo, a 5k is 3.2 miles. So it's still impressive. You'll beat 4 in no time.

Oh yeh I know. 10k is my aim. As I've said before, last year I did it without even trying due to playing a LOT of football, so my fitness was high without even realising it.

This year my fitness is rock bottom.

I already ran 3.75 miles last week, so nearly at 4 already.

I'll do 4 tomorrow night and hopefully I can still make the scheduled jump to 4.5 on Saturday.

Oh yeh I know. 10k is my aim. As I've said before, last year I did it without even trying due to playing a LOT of football, so my fitness was high without even realising it.

I'll do 4 tomorrow night and hopefully I can still make the scheduled jump to 4.5 on Saturday.

Oh you got this in the bag. I expect 5 miles out of you sir.

Mudrun looks awesome!

I'm seriously tempted to try my hand at a full marathon. Main worry is how much time I'd have to spend training though, as it was a big demand on time just training for a half marathon.

^^^ I say go for it. It may take a little longer but you know once you do it that feeling of actually finishing the race will be awesome.

Yep, for an otherwise healthy (even if not yet fit) person, the only real jobstopper for a marathon is the time needed for training. Once you've built your mileage up, you'll eventually need to be doing some long runs that could take up 3 or 4 hours (or more) at a time - and the associated recovery rests. It can eat BIG chunks out of your weekend/family/social life. It's why I don't do marathons any more.

If you can hack that, anybody can do it if they really want to.

And that's exactly it Mike. My girlfriend got pissed of with the amount of time I spent training for my half marathon, so the step up to full marathon training I'm afraid is too much, On the other hand, I don't want the regret of not trying. Decisions decisions!

Do it. But sign up so that your getting sponsored for a charity.

She can't complain if you're doing it for charity!

Agreed. She'll pretty much have to support it and you'll feel EVEN BETTER knowing you did it for yourself and a good cause.

I did that for the half marathon, and although she 'officially' supported me, she was still pissed off about the amount of time I spent out training. But I'd definitely sign up for charity again if I was going to do it anyway.

I did that for the half marathon, and although she 'officially' supported me, she was still pissed off about the amount of time I spent out training. But I'd definitely sign up for charity again if I was going to do it anyway.
You pretty much have to if you want to have a hope of getting into one of the "big" ones like London or New York.

If I ever do another one it will be Paris, Amsterdam or Dublin - had good reports on all of them.

I was looking at Loch Ness, or maybe Eden so getting in shouldn't be too much of a problem. Heard nice things about Loch Ness at least.
Me too. A friend did it a few years ago, and said it's undulating without being too much of a killer.

So I have just been informed that I am in fact doing the Mud Run. :( My competitive running partner /best female friend has decided that will be my birthday gift to her this year.....dammit!

Oh you got this in the bag. I expect 5 miles out of you sir.

I did the 4 miles rather comfortably.

I ran it quicker than I ran 3.5 miles a week ago!

Felt really good, getting more and more confident about the big 10k!

So I have just been informed that I am in fact doing the Mud Run. :( My competitive running partner /best female friend has decided that will be my birthday gift to her this year.....dammit!

Did one of them here in Ireland and I have to say it was great craic. Race was only 5k but worth it for the day out. Had a good laugh running round... Was a complete mess after it. Head to toe in muck...

Â