economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

I do consider gold a currency but because of the debate I put it in brackets. It is the best measurement we have when all currencies, only backed by future taxes and confidence, drops at the same time.

So as some sort of yardstick by which to measure the relative performance and strength of each currency?

Compared to the US$ the pound has won 1.40%. Against the Euro it has lost 0.5% in last 12 months.

Pretty close to the same level then?

Yeah a highly manipulated yardstick though. The number of "paper-gold" ounces outnumber real gold on Earth by far.

The rate of Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation rose to 4.5% from 4.4% in July, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The Retail Prices Index (RPI) measure increased to 5.2% from 5%.

Yeah a highly manipulated yardstick though. The number of "paper-gold" ounces outnumber real gold on Earth by far.

Indeed.

I blame the Dutch. :P

Hehe, I blame the blacksmiths. :)

Will be funny if/when China open their gold-exchange.

I made a mistake with those pound/dollar/euro comparisons. They didn´t compare last 12 months but only since new year.

Whether we like it or not, we have to make stuff which other people want to buy. I'm no engineer or industrialist so I have no idea what to suggest... this has to be left to the market. But the market will never function properly, whilst government messes and fiddles with the control levers.

Methinks the man talketh some sense....

Never mind everyone... the ecomonic situation is dire & inflation rampages on, whilst earnings(if you've got any that is!) fall

However life at Canary Wharf continues as normal as the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) appoints a new Chairman

at an annual salary of £75,000, for a two day week!

Whether we like it or not, we have to make stuff which other people want to buy. I'm no engineer or industrialist so I have no idea what to suggest... this has to be left to the market. But the market will never function properly, whilst government messes and fiddles with the control levers.

Methinks the man talketh some sense....

Never mind everyone... the ecomonic situation is dire & inflation rampages on, whilst earnings(if you've got any that is!) fall

However life at Canary Wharf continues as normal as the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) appoints a new Chairman

at an annual salary of £75,000, for a two day week!

Which would be just under £190K for a full week. Hardly strikes me as a huge amount, and way below what most people in the city would earn. There are chief executives of councils earning way more than that.

Which would be just under £190K for a full week. Hardly strikes me as a huge amount, and way below what most people in the city would earn. There are chief executives of councils earning way more than that.

I wouldn't doubt the executives of councils aren't being paid this much...however £190K IIRC is about £48K more than David Cameron earns as PM as a salary....

To my mind there appears to be no cutting back of senior management whether public or private.......meanwhile the tax credit threshold is cut

from £20K to £17K at a time when families are finding the cost of living and fuel sky rocketing.

What's more the costs of a failed unaccountable FSA & their compatriates at the FSCS are directly passed onto the consumer by levies to the industry. These costs have risen astronomically over the past decade despite their unprecedented failures.

What particularly annoys me about the FSA is that very often they get a chunk of their staff from former Bank of England staff, who retire at 50 on nice pensions paid for of course by me & thee - who then go on to be taken on at Canary Wharf earning humungus salaries & an additional civil service pension. until their second retirement paid for again by me & thee...... which in turn of course then normally gets further enhanced by a part time executive positon in the City, particularly at ....aherm banking institutions...

What B of E to FSA to Bank executive?................ No agenda there then!

Come to think of it sleepy Eden's District Council's Chief Executive has taken a pay cut... he now only gets paid £770 per day.

That equates to £200,200, if you multiply it up on a 5 day week over a year.. so Risso is right - he gets paid about £10K more than the FSCS Chairman pro rata and about £58K more than David Cameron........ but then again the FSA, with an annual biscuit budget of £638.5K for entertaining their City chums... have over 200 staff being paid more than our PM.

The gravy train continues.....

Which council chief executives are on 190 per week?

Can you show me the link...?

No one mention 190k per week.

75k per annum on a 2 day week, is a pro rata salary of 190k per annum.

Oh yes they did...!

"Which would be just under £190K for a full week"

Look a few posts up

I wouldn't doubt the executives of councils aren't being paid this much...however £190K IIRC is about £48K more than David Cameron earns as PM as a salary....

Why make a comparison with the basic salary of the PM?

It's a nonsense. I blame Pickles (edt: or Thatch).

"Which would be just under £190K [a year] for a full week"

Mate, why bother? :winkold:

Maybe an apology needed, but I would not expect one

That was from Risso

Â