economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep I know exactly where you are coming from, I had a brief spell back in 2013 time with them at the xmas period and I told head office exactly where to shove it after I was moaned at for not delivering the parcels to their liking. (Why knock a door when you know Mrs Shaw is working till 5pm?) Just leave it in a safe place!? But nooo! Not acceptable according to them.  I suggested they then pay me £1.00 a parcel instead and I will deliver it on a silver platter!  - no surprise I gave them their zapper and books back the day after and politely told the snotty cow on the phone where she could stick that!.. and it wasn't in Mrs Shaws wheelie bin either!

Also victimisation was witnessed on several occasions. Horrible little polluted company.

It must depend on the round that couriers get. My household has had the same Hermes courier for a couple of years now and I've spoken to him on numerous occasions. He always seems happy doing what he does so I asked him how he came to be a courier. He gave up his job as a car sprayer in his early fifties because of respiratory problems so he wanted something to do for a few hours a day, four or five days per week. He said he earned about £80 for a 5 to 6 hour day which worked out to around £10 per hour after his vehicle (estate car) outgoings. Although he makes it work for him, I've no doubt many couriers end up with less than minimum wage. I think the government should advertise a service where workers can easily register their hours, income and (importantly) outgoings, so that companies who repeatedly infringe minimum wage conditions can be named, shamed and fined.

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

It must depend on the round that couriers get. My household has had the same Hermes courier for a couple of years now and I've spoken to him on numerous occasions. He always seems happy doing what he does so I asked him how he came to be a courier. He gave up his job as a car sprayer in his early fifties because of respiratory problems so he wanted something to do for a few hours a day, four or five days per week. He said he earned about £80 for a 5 to 6 hour day which worked out to around £10 per hour after his vehicle (estate car) outgoings. Although he makes it work for him, I've no doubt many couriers end up with less than minimum wage. I think the government should advertise a service where workers can easily register their hours, income and (importantly) outgoings, so that companies who repeatedly infringe minimum wage conditions can be named, shamed and fined.

It definitely depends on the round you get. My wife had the round nobody wanted, and the one that was vacant all of the time. It was down country lanes, and small villages. A lot of the houses didn't have numbers on, so it made the job harder. The bloke before her lasted 2 hours. 

22 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't envy these Amazon prime folk.

Poor guy just came with a parcel that was due yesterday.

20:45 and he still has another 35 left to drop he said and been on the go since 6am!

Sod that!

I didn't even think that was legal! Crazy hours.

13 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Absolutely. There is working and having a job but that purely takes the piss.

Also doing a bit of research into it and it makes for even more horror reading.

How companies like these and sports direct etc. get away with it is just baffling.

Welcome to a vision of Post Brexit Britain. This is what its all about

• Like 1

Â