Conor Gallagher

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

That's the play I see the club doing.  Swap Gallagher for Duran and sell Luiz. 

Yes and as much as I like Luiz we shouid get decent money for him to help with ffp 

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would be a shocking piece of business

Agree, would be going backwards at that point. Also don't see how he would work in the double pivot. Chelsea usually plays him in a more advanced role which for Unai would be the Second striker or wide midfielders. Definitely not a Douglas replacement and would be horrid as a DM. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'd definitely swap him for Luiz. Don't think he's as technically as gifted but he far more drive. 

WTF, no way selling Luiz.  Gallagher would compliment him but not a replacement for him surely, they are different type of players and I definitely wouldn’t swop them.

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Agree, would be going backwards at that point. Also don't see how he would work in the double pivot. Chelsea usually plays him in a more advanced role which for Unai would be the Second striker or wide midfielders. Definitely not a Douglas replacement and would be horrid as a DM. 

No they don’t. And he has been playing in the pivot with Caicedo most recently and they’ve looked a lot better.

He is versatile. Something that Emery loves.

44 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

That's the play I see the club doing.  Swap Gallagher for Duran and sell Luiz. 

We will be worse off if that happens. 2 out 1 in will be weakening the squad, Luiz is our best midfielder so it's a daft move, and Duran is our only backup striker and has a very high ceiling.

Happy to sign Gallagher to add depth to our midfield options, but no way would I want him as a Luiz replacement. 

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

I agree. Just because Connor Gallagher doesn't have a fancy Foreign name you're all turning your noises against him. 

I’m all for signing players from the Prem, I’d happily see us drop a record fee on Morgan Gibbs-White for example. But I’ve watched Gallagher a lot and I still can’t see what he actually does, really, beyond some running around. I’d have no objection to him coming in to add depth because willing legs are always useful but I don’t think he’s particularly special.

Massive downgrade on DL for those suggesting we sell one and sign the other…

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I'd definitely swap him for Luiz. Don't think he's as technically as gifted but he far more drive. 

This is an absolutely wild take from someone who has, I assume, watched football at some point!

• Haha 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

I’m all for signing players from the Prem, I’d happily see us drop a record fee on Morgan Gibbs-White for example. But I’ve watched Gallagher a lot and I still can’t see what he actually does, really, beyond some running around. I’d have no objection to him coming in to add depth because willing legs are always useful but I don’t think he’s particularly special.

Did you miss him whipping one straight into the top corner against us at Villa Park then? Genuine question. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Did you miss him whipping one straight into the top corner against us at Villa Park then? Genuine question. 

No, fair play that was a decent goal (albeit dreadful defending and should have been saved) but still, I look at 8 goals over two seasons at Chelsea (70+ games) and think he’s gone backwards since he was at Palace. I’m not saying he’s a bad player by any means, I said I’d take him as a willing runner/decent squad player.

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

A healthy Jacob Ramsey is twice the player. With Rogers emergence, this has to be purely paper talk. 

I agree with this. The one thing I can see is, because of how stupid PSR/FFP rules are, if we sell Ramsey for £50m and buy Gallagher for £50m, that’s financially a great deal for us…  which is a crazy situation to have and needs fixing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Our last game, he presses us high, robs Luiz of the ball on the edge of our box and Madueke scores from it.

Minutes later he lashes one in from outside of the box.

With Caicedo he completely dominated our midfield.

He is very versatile and can do it all in multiple positions.

PS. I would love him, but I don't think we have a chance to sign him.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No they don’t. And he has been playing in the pivot with Caicedo most recently and they’ve looked a lot better.

He is versatile. Something that Emery loves.

Only because of injuries, especially once Enzo went down.  He most definitely plays in advanced roles for Chelsea. Here is one game  from March and here is another in November.  I can find you more. He plays both but the idea he isn't an attacking midfielder is false. 

2 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Our last game, he presses us high, robs Luiz of the ball on the edge of our box and Madueke scores from it.

Minutes later he lashes one in from outside of the box.

With Caicedo he completely dominated our midfield.

He is very versatile and can do it all in multiple positions.

PS. I would love him, but I don't think we have a chance to sign him.

As I just said I don’t think he’s a *bad* player and he is certainly good in the press (a willing runner, as I’ve said several times). Equally, a couple of days before/after that game, our midfield was dominated even more effectively by Vicente Iborra and Santiago Hezze, and I just had to look those names up because I’ve never heard of them despite watching them make fools of us over 180 minutes.

• Like 1

I think Unai would redefine the raw elements of his game as expertly as he's done with SJM.

We will have to rotate far more in key positions first half of next season. As we've also seen this year can't predict when serious injuries will occur either.

Only caveat is need a pure DM more so if we sign one + a Gallagher type then one of the existing first choice midfielders will be sold you assume and it won't be McGinn or Kamara.

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

As I just said I don’t think he’s a *bad* player and he is certainly good in the press (a willing runner, as I’ve said several times). Equally, a couple of days before/after that game, our midfield was dominated even more effectively by Vicente Iborra and Santiago Hezze, and I just had to look those names up because I’ve never heard of them despite watching them make fools of us over 180 minutes.

👍

It's all a bit academic discussion if you ask me, as I don't think he will be signing for us this summer anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Only because of injuries, especially once Enzo went down.  He most definitely plays in advanced roles for Chelsea. Here is one game  from March and here is another in November.  I can find you more. He plays both but the idea he isn't an attacking midfielder is false. 

Chelsea have generally looked better since Enzo got injured in an attacking sense.

Him and Caciedo would basically do the same job, be slow to get the ball forward and then Gallagher would lose it under pressure in final third. Looked far more effective with him in the pivot and Palmer as the floating 10 with two quick wide players either side.

Basically Gallagher is alternative/long term replacement for McGinn which is clever squad planning.

McGinn not being replaced anytime soon but I think the next step in our evolution is to get to a place where we can leave McGinn and Ollie out for some prem games and still win them so a Gallagher type would certainly help in that regard.

I think Tim was originally primed for that role but Unai's thoughts on his current level has been abundantly clear in the last three months.

With Sanson's wages coming off this summer and perhaps Coutinho and Donk we'd have a decent amount of surplus for central midfield. I also think once Doug has played for us in CL he might decide his cycle with us is probably finished so could see him leaving in the January window if he isn't signing a new deal.

• Like 2

Â