• Watkins
    • Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's not our "Best ever Manager," certainly not until he's won a trophy or two. Saunders built two wonderful Villa sides with  a promotion, two league cups and a title, also built the team that won the European Cup, so to say, Emery has achieved more, is, ridiculous, tbf.

It is but it won't be for long.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Incidentally, just before the final penalty, my Europa Conference League app sent me a notification that Emi had a red card. Did anyone else get this?

Yes! I was watching the BBC match thread at work as if we were in the 1950's or something, and they continued to misprint the score throughout before an an all caps MARTINEZ RED CARD. Chaos.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's not our "Best ever Manager," certainly not until he's won a trophy or two. Saunders built two wonderful Villa sides with  a promotion, two league cups and a title, also built the team that won the European Cup, so to say, Emery has achieved more, is, ridiculous tbf.

Interesting one isn't it. He's our best manager in the past 30 years and it's not particularly close. Going back much further, is it any more fair to compare managers across such large periods as it is players? Who's better between Pele and Messi. **** knows, it was almost a different sport back then.

Similarly the role of manager was almost entirely different 40+ years ago, it was probably more hands on with the players, less conflicting demands, less egos to manage, fewer players to manage in fewer games, and a sport that was comparatively primitive when it comes to preparation and strategy, but that shouldn't diminish the accomplishment of winning the first division.

Hopefully Emery just wins a couple of titles to put the discussion to bed. ;) 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jayEm said:

A rewatch of the penalty shootout shows how bad the commentary was -- both commentators misunderstand the situation with Emi's yellow card (which is fair enough, the rule is obscure) but then make increasingly wild and ridiculous assumptions about what is happening (at one point insinuating that Emi is asking if he's still allowed to be on the pitch) rather than just pipe down.

Similarly for the Cash penalty call the daft word removed on commentary was talking about how the ref gestured that he thought the ball hit his chest, and that's why it wasn't a penaly. No, no he didn't.

I long for the days of the red button audio of stadium sound only.

• Like 3

I think over the two legs we saw the downside of (by necessity given injuries tbf) getting through previous stages of the competition playing at like 25% to try and manage workload.

It's then not easy to turn it on when you come up against someone who is a lot, lot better than you've faced to date. Probably doubly so given there's quite a few in the side who havent really got much experience of a european run.

Still, we dug out the result, and that is all that matters in cup competitions. Hopefully these two games give a bit of a wake up to the intensity we will need to play at to get further. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Interesting one isn't it. He's our best manager in the past 30 years and it's not particularly close. Going back much further, is it any more fair to compare managers across such large periods as it is players? Who's better between Pele and Messi. **** knows, it was almost a different sport back then.

Similarly the role of manager was almost entirely different 40+ years ago, it was probably more hands on with the players, less conflicting demands, less egos to manage, fewer players to manage in fewer games, and a sport that was comparatively primitive when it comes to preparation and strategy, but that shouldn't diminish the accomplishment of winning the first division.

Hopefully Emery just wins a couple of titles to put the discussion to bed. ;) 

There's nothing complicated about it. Managers are judged by what they achieve, namely trophies. In my lifetime Saunders is our best manager. You can go back as long as you like, but manager's have always been judged by what they have achieved. Busby, Shankly Paisley, Clough and Ferguson are all remembered because they were successful, nothing has changed in regards to manager's. If they're not successful, they get sacked. 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we haven't won anything yet. As much as I love Emery, he still as a bit of a way to go before they start carving.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hope so. But let's have some respect for past manager's and their achievements for this club.

That's fair. I'm 40 so just missed that era. I started with Venglos and have had some lovely times along the way. This is different though, this is the first time ALL the pieces fit. It's not even about this season, two or three from now is what really gets me excited.

53 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Similarly for the Cash penalty call the daft word removed on commentary was talking about how the ref gestured that he thought the ball hit his chest, and that's why it wasn't a penaly. No, no he didn't.

I long for the days of the red button audio of stadium sound only.

They weren't about to let something as trivial as the actual events happening in front their eyes interfere with what they had to say

Definitely wasn't an easy match to watch for the heart rate, but wow, that was just how it is to be a Villa supporter in a nutshell. My club is in a European semi final in my lifetime. Not on Fifa, not on Football Manager, in real life. 

I don't know how to describe how happy that makes me, all I know is that I need to treasure this feeling. Enjoy it everyone, supporting the greatest football club in the world is a wonderful feeling. UTV!

• Like 3

Â