• Watkins
    • Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

A bit shocked how poor John was today… but he’ll be back and put in some monster performances before the season is over…

We just couldn’t get any control in midfield, I’d much rather McGinn partner one of Luiz or Tielemans than stick him on the wing… especially with the injuries we have. He’s more effective in that central, even defensive, position imo…

He's definitely more effective centrally, although I think ultimately he just had a really bad day at the office. It happens. And we were the winners in the end, so he can move on from that pretty easily.

27 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Because he missed like 5 out of 6 before they got taken off him. 

And the guy who actually takes them for us scored a much better a much more high pressure pen in the same shootout tonight

• Like 1

Bloody hell. It's nothing short of a bloody miracle that we got through that (a miracle by the name of Emi **** Martinez).

What a weird, weird game. We were without a doubt second best in pretty much all departments. It's not entirely unexpected, since Lille were well rested and we were likely still knackered from the Arse game on Sunday. Very frustrating game to watch. It was baffling how many times we had a good clean break with green grass in front of us and we decided to stop and go backwards. On too many occasions we went for the Hollywood ball rather than the much easier pass to guys in space.

All that said, as the saying goes - good teams find a way through even when not at their best. We found a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, and I think we'll be better for it having gone through a game like this. It's shown the level that we need to be at. We knocked out possibly the 2nd best team in the competition, but we absolutely need to make sure we don't show any complacency by thinking that the cup is won just because we got through possibly the hardest tie. Every team in the competition at this stage will be tough.

Let's keep it going. UTV!

• Like 2

I may be jumping the gun, but at the end of this evening's football we're going to be the only English club still in a European competition. We've come a long way baby.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

He's definitely more effective centrally, although I think ultimately he just had a really bad day at the office. It happens. And we were the winners in the end, so he can move on from that pretty easily.

Agreed… but, again, with Bouba out we need him in the centre. Let Youri support Ollie or go on the left again…

He is our warrior, our fighter… helps us get a foothold in games and brings the fight and determination we need… is good enough defensively, composed in possession these days (thank you Unai) and passes it well.

We need our captain…

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

He was told about that one by VAR. He was holding his ear afterward.

Don't make excuses, that performance by the ref was epicly bad.

What excuse? I didn't make any?

And no, he told the Lille players off instantly, before VAR could even pull up the replay...

Just now, allani said:

Best keeper in the world.  No debate.

Maybe ever… 👀 

Best Villa keeper anyway, probably Argentina too…

What a legend 🇦🇷 

• Like 1

That was nerve wracking. We were pretty much overrun in midfield all match and that made life a lot harder but the defence did a decent job and we did create a handful of really good chances. We probably should have won before the penalties.

Magnificent performance in the shoot out and Emi gets my MOTM award just for those two saves.

Incidentally, just before the final penalty, my Europa Conference League app sent me a notification that Emi had a red card. Did anyone else get this? I recovered from the heart tremor just in time to see him save the last pen. Memo to conference league app: please don’t do this again.

So, next up Bournemouth! What a brilliant season this is!

• Like 1

Yeah poor performance generally, though I thought Duran did well coming on. That being said we still missed the chance of the game through Luiz.

Absolutely buzzing with the win, who’d have thought we’d be the last English club standing in Europe?! 

Martinez is an absolute legend, sincerely hope he goes on to see at least the majority of his career out here, top, top goalkeeper.

Do we dare to dream?

Â