New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

19 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think you can absolutely build a new Villa Park and work hard to keep some of the aesthetic. The brickwork, the mosaics, the statues could all be worked in to a new and modern stadium and i'd expect them to be. Like with everything about how we brand ourselves, we can't ignore our history but we also can't be limited by it. A modern stadium with modern facilities that pays a very strong homage to Villa Park would be ideal for me.

I'm exactly the same but without wanting to be too boring here you absolutely can do it but they wont, modern architecture would be more based around lightweight construction, brickwork on that scale is no longer in fashion, both the cost and the time would dramatically increase using bricks, you would need bigger foundations as the building would weigh more while bricks are substantially slower to install and would be a "messy" trade compared to say steel and cladding, you would need more scaffolding too etc etc 

at best they'd use brick slip cladding, which again isn't very popular 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I'm exactly the same but without wanting to be too boring here you absolutely can do it but they wont, modern architecture would be more based around lightweight construction, brickwork on that scale is no longer in fashion, both the cost and the time would dramatically increase using bricks, you would need bigger foundations as the building would weigh more while bricks are substantially slower to install and would be a "messy" trade compared to say steel and cladding, you would need more scaffolding too etc etc 

at best they'd use brick slip cladding, which again isn't very popular 

That's an excellent point I hadn't really considered.

Everton have bricks on their new stadium which I assume are the brick slip cladding variety. I guess it just depends on how they work it in to the design. I don't think we'll get something akin to a hypermodern NFL stadium, I think they'll want to give nods to Villa Park where they can.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just wanted to comment on how terrible the atmosphere was/is In " London Stadium " yesterday.

If we do make anything new,.please make sure it's not like that 

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it sounded absolutely awful on the TV.

If you can quite clearly hear the players communicating with each other then you know it's bad. It was like lockdown football :D 

Yes, The London Stadium is awful and in more ways than one.

But you have to remember, it was purposely built as an athletics stadium for the olympics. It has been adapted for football and as such it suffers because of it.

Purpose built stadiums for football are way better than the West Ham ground.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

Yes, The London Stadium is awful and in more ways than one.

But you have to remember, it was purposely built as an athletics stadium for the olympics. It has been adapted for football and as such it suffers because of it.

Purpose built stadiums for football are way better than the West Ham ground.

I never thought that there was much atmosphere at Upton Park either.  Always felt like the away end was a lot noisier and the majority of the home noise was just Representatives for North East Somerset near the away end asking you to meet them in the car park outside.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Did I really start this thread nearly a decade ago?!

No. Old posts (wrongly) posted in the VP upgrade thread have been moved across to this thread, which was started just the other day, (thankfully) by @thabucks. But the thread shows posts in the order they were posted (wherever).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

if we built a new stadium there would be one key element for me - we have to use facing bricks, lucas oil stadium should be the template, i would want soemthing that even if we lost the history we still have the tradition and the uniqueness

unfortunately due to costs and speed its not going to happen, we'd end up with another clad / curtain walled bowl

and agree it would need to be out of town with its own transport links, next to the airport  / new HS2 station would make the most sense as you would then have scope for a hotel or restaurants or shops etc and make it more viable 365 days a year, even partner with whoever the events organiser is at the Genting arena so we're not directly competing with each other

Lucas oil also balances internally the 4 separate stands aesthetic. 

On HS2 where does it terminate north of Birmingham ? … 

IMG_9662.webp

IMG_9663.jpeg

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

IMG_9662.webp

IMG_9663.jpeg

Technically Handsacre

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Honestly not a fan of the Lucas oil stadium To me it just looks "fake"

It fits the local vernacular though which I think anyone who references it means a new Villa park should do and celebrates the rich industrial history of Birmingham without being Disney - esque   

IMG_9666.jpeg

IMG_9667.jpeg

Just now, thabucks said:

It fits the local vernacular though which I think anyone who references it means a new Villa park should do and celebrates the rich industrial history of Birmingham without being Disney - esque   

IMG_9666.jpeg

IMG_9667.jpeg

Yeah, but it still looks fake to me. Like a supermarket that tries to look old but isn't.

• Like 1

herzog & de meuron have designed some amazing brick buildings including the now cancelled Chelsea stadium … they have past form in recycling their designs for other clients as the Bordeaux stadium design was initially designed for Portsmouth… A take on their stadium for Chelsea would be befitting imo.  

IMG_9668.webp

IMG_9669.webp

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

IMG_9660.jpeg

I think the Lucas oil stadium is what we should aspire to (eventually), remove the big window and have the jolted end and the steps there. Anyone good on photoshop to do that, would look sweet as

Edited by burchy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

IMG_9662.webp

IMG_9663.jpeg

They've got a station called brimingham interchange round the back of the airport / NEC

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Ass the champions league stadium star roof and we’ve hit ourselves a winner ! 

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams.gif

• Like 1